Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple, Bourbon and Bacon Burgers with Bacon Jam

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

So looking for another flavor profile I went for my favorites. So go for broke we did. Also topped toasted buns with caramelized onions. I went a little over on temp to well done. But still moist and full of flavor. And of course "Honey" gets all the credit for a job well done.

imageimageimage
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You gotta give more details. .sounds awesome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Options

@henapple Will do.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Bacon jam? Gotta fill me in on that
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hotch
    Options

@yzzi @henapple We got the Bacon Jam recipe from the web. Rachael  White gets the credit for it. It is amazing. She has a lot of great ideas and you just need put your spin on them and adapt them to the Egg.

We have the grandkids over making homemade cinnamon rolls, buns and pizza dough. Henapple, I will have Shelly post the start to finish of the Maple Bourbon Burger in a little while, after swimming.

http://rachaelwhite.me/maple-bourbon-bacon-jam/

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

@henapple @FLbobecu @Mickey

henapple said:

Maple Bourbon Bacon Burger

Basically, this is a hamburger (80/20) with candied bacon with brown sugar and cayenne, bourbon, grade A Maple Syrup and general ground beef spices for burgers.  The key is make a Maple Bacon Jam to use on your buns and topping with sautéed onions with cumin, butter, oregano and salt and pepper for some added flavor really puts it all into perspective.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hotch said:

@henapple @FLbobecu @Mickey

henapple said:

Maple Bourbon Bacon Burger

Basically, this is a hamburger (80/20) with candied bacon with brown sugar and cayenne, bourbon, grade A Maple Syrup and general ground beef spices for burgers.  The key is make a Maple Bacon Jam to use on your buns and topping with sautéed onions with cumin, butter, oregano and salt and pepper for some added flavor really puts it all into perspective.

Sign me up coach
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @Hotch‌ LOL you guys with two eggs suck! Lighting up the second egg to toast your buns!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Hotch
    Options
    @georges  I am thinking a third may be required for baking. We do home made cinnamon rolls, pizza dough and buns with the grand kids yesterday and had so much fun.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

That's it. I quit. I'm coming over to yourhouse for dinner from now on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Those sound fantastic!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oops. Did a google search for maple bacon jam (to find a recipe) and the first several links dealt with this.

Guess it's always a good idea to remind everyone how important safe food handling is.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

TexanOfTheNorth I do agree and you are 100% correct. We all should practice good food safety. I do not compromise when it comes to food prep or storage. 

The fact is 99% of the food we cook is for our family and friends.

In your news story they found that "Our investigation suggests that inadequate refrigeration of the maple bacon jam at multiple points before serving to the customer" to be the cause.

That said we all should heed the warnings of others who have been ill from poor food handling and or preparation.

Myself and 5 others of my family were victims at a National Chain from cheese served on nachos. My result was surgery, the others had days of recovery at home.

Safety first. Allows check the temps often.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Hotch, just to be clear... I was not in any way questioning your preparation or handling of the food you served. I was just surprised to see a recent incident involving the maple bacon jam... something that, until I read your post, had never heard of it; and plan to try myself.
    Options

TexanOfTheNorth I did not take it that way at all. All is good.

But I do agree we all must be vigilant about food safety. We tend to leave food out for serving. This and improper prep is when most contamination occurs.

I just cooked Baja Wave Tacos at the Athens Egg Fest. I needed a way to keep all of the sauces and aioli chilled during the building of the tacos. We used a 5 compartment bartenders condiment tray, with a lid, that allowed for ice in the bottom to keep it all chilled.

We can all do better. Just think about it and a solution is out there.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX