Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about the SmokeWare SS Vented Chimney Cap

Hey all
Was considering one of the replacement smokeware caps instead of swapping between the green ceramic one and the dfmt....I noticed in the description that it comes with a nomex gasket.  I recently picked up a amazin' smoker for cold smoking and the recommendation there is to go with no cap.

I was wondering from some who have the Smokeware cap...if it has a gasket, can you still take it off, or does it open enough to serve as the equivalent of no cap for cold smoking?

Thanks in advance
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2013
    Yes it will come off and will not interfere if you place the gasket on the inside of the male neck of the SmokeWare and not on the BGE dome itself.

Like this:

Otherwise just remove the dome cap itself and you are "topless:

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Awesome...Thanks Sir!  ^:)^
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    It is a two piece unit. The cap comes off if you do not want to control the airflow.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    lol, sorry... I took to long to type.... @RRP was all over that one!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• All good...I appreciate that this group is always willing to share their experiences, ect...and even a few opinions!
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Well I just had my first Egg Accident.  Dropped my ceramic cap.  So I have a decision to make.  Buy a replacement or purchase one of these Stainless tops.  Do they Stainless caps snuff out the fire as effectively as the Ceramic cap?  Is it a replacement for the DMFT and Ceramic Cap?
    I had put a gasket on my Ceramic Cap and it really did a nice job snuffing the fire.  I feel like it saved lump considering it snuffed faster.
    Thanks for the help.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Mine snuffs out the fire fine, never really tried to see which was faster . But I always have lump left for re use.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • I use the stainless and never move back to the old cap...stuffs just as good as the ceramic top imo...and i never have a time where the vent settings adjust because I upended the lid. ..well worth it to me.
  • RRP
    In May will be my first year anniversary with my cap - I have never even once reverted to that cast iron nor the ceramic cap - no need to whatsoever!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The SS SmokeWare works great for low & slow, pizza, anything and everything. I pull the cap off on cooks above 350℉. I use mine exclusively and the I really like the fact when opening and closing the dome your dialed in setting won't move. Protects against rain etc. And yep it'll snuff out your lump. This is a well designed and quality made product. And it is remarkably easy to keep it clean and looking new. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    What the others said!!! get it you will wonder why you waited so long. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    + 1 for what @NPHuskerFL said. I love the smokeware thingy. I wish they made one for the small.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Thanks everyone gonna order one tonight.
  • toolpush
    toolpush Posts: 6
    Installed mine a couple days ago, should have bought one months ago. Works great, you will not be disappointed.
  • I got mine for xmas...waited about a month before installing it...regretted not doing it sooner immediatly.
  • Great info, I was actually trying to figure this out earlier today.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    edited April 2014
    I just installed mine today! Learned some benefits I didn't think of. Thx
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    RRP said:
    Yes it will come off and will not interfere if you place the gasket on the inside of the male neck of the SmokeWare and not on the BGE dome itself.

Like this:

Otherwise just remove the dome cap itself and you are "topless:

Ron,

Will your Rutland gasket material work OK on the inside of the Eggware neck?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    edited April 2014
    It will be a very tight fit. Even I the Rutland Guy uses the gasket that came with my cap!
  • QDude
    RRP said:
    It will be a very tight fit. Even I the Rutland Guy uses the gasket that came with my cap!
    That gasket got fried.  Should I just go with a Nomex gasket instead?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    sure you can, but I wonder why yours got fried? Did you attach it to the dome or the inside of the cap like I suggested? That will be a shame to buy a whole Nomex just to get 16" of gasket - why not appeal to SmokeWear?
  • QDude
    RRP said:
    sure you can, but I wonder why yours got fried? Did you attach it to the dome or the inside of the cap like I suggested? That will be a shame to buy a whole Nomex just to get 16" of gasket - why not appeal to SmokeWear?
    I was one of the first buyers of it and it wasn't known at that time that it was best to put it on the neck.  Instead I put it on the egg and it lasted just a few cooks.  Live and learn I guess.  I just ordered the replacement gasket and rubber tab for less than $4.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    Good! I knew Matt would take care of you!
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    How hard is it to put on and take off while hot?  I'll frequently start my fire with no daisy wheel, then put it on while we're in a "holding period" getting things prepped for dinner, then pull it off for a variety of cooks - pizza, spatchcock chicken (don't like the burnt fat smoke to be held in the dome), etc.

And, could I just leave it on and wide open for cooks around 500?  Or, will it impede airflow too much?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Bottom sleeve stays on, nice tight fit with included gasket. Top lifts right off - easy. I think you have even more potential open sq inches wide open than the standard daisy wheel
  • RRP
    Bottom sleeve stays on, nice tight fit with included gasket. Top lifts right off - easy. I think you have even more potential open sq inches wide open than the standard daisy wheel

I agree! Only thing to remember is to wear gloves when removing that hot SmokeWear cap unless of course you are on the lam and wanted to forever destroy your finger prints!
  • True, I missed him saying "removing hot". This would be a two glove affair to remove vrs daisy's one..
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    True, I missed him saying "removing hot". This would be a two glove affair to remove vrs daisy's one..
    With the daisy wheel, I have any number of tools I can use quickly.  With the cap, I'll have to glove up.  But, in thinking about it, usually the routine is such that once my daisy wheel goes on, I don't pull it again.  So the gloved removal of the cap wouldn't be very often for me.  
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • QDude
    I love my Smokeware cap!  I never have to worry about it shutting closed like the DMFT does.  I know there is supposed to be a secret to stopping that from happening but it never worked for me.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I think the secret is to orient the dmft so it pivots open to the front instead of the back...I was able to make it work but I still prefer the smokeware...There were times i would forget and wouldn't catch that it opened up until I saw a temp spike... one less variable now imo.