Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never go to the grocery store when you're hungry...

Options
smchan
smchan Posts: 14
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Never go to the grocery store when you're hungry, especially if meat is on sale!

Needed some salad greens so I swung by the grocery store, Lowe's Foods, early this morning.   Walked by the butcher shop as is customary and found choice grade beef tenderloin for $10/lb and chicken drumsticks for $1/lb.   Bottom line, I came home with a 6.5lb tenderloin, 18lbs of drumsticks, 5lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 packs of back and - of course - my salad greens.  Like I said to my wife... "I got the salad greens, so mission accomplished!"

Made the sweet-n-sour honey glazed BBQ wings recipe I found here a while back - except I used the drumsticks instead and I added a little applewood for smoke.   Carried 20 drumsticks to my neighbor, my crew ate around 25 (16 year old boy put away 9 by himself), and saved another 10 or so as leftovers.   I ate one of the drumsticks before glazing them and it was darn good even without the honey BBQ sauce.  

I'll cut the tenderloin into steaks and cook those these weekend.  

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice haul.  The Mrs. sent me to the store with the directions "Get a loaf of bread, and if they have eggs, get a dozen"  I came home with 12 loaves of bread because they had eggs. 
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

Nice haul.  The Mrs. sent me to the store with the directions "Get a loaf of bread, and if they have eggs, get a dozen"  I came home with 12 loaves of bread because they had eggs. 

To funny! I do 90+% of the shopping for our household. +1 don't do it when I'm hungry. I've done it before and it twas not pretty. Lol

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Isn't that the first rule of fight club?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

Isn't that the first rule of fight club?

@hapster‌ I had to do some shopping at Sams Club today after work. And with only 4 checker occupied lanes (out of 18 available lanes) open and all 6 self check lanes packed it was crazy. Then to really help matters their system crashed so nobody could scan anything for like 45 minutes. Ahhh patience is a virtue. C'est la vie :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    That's why a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread costs about $100.00. Much cheaper to go out to eat first. Been there, done that.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Or drunk...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smchan
    smchan Posts: 14
    Options
    Cooked the tenderloin tonight and shared it with my neighbor. God bless him. He brought lobster tails to the party. Went to Costco this morning and came back with a 8.5lb rib roast, 4lbs of tri tip and 1.25lbs of prawn. Going to have prime rib tomorrow with seafood mac and cheese. Will share those tri tips with my neighbor later in the week. I think I've blown 3 weeks worth of grocery budget inside of 5 days.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    Only time I stop a Mconalds is if I am hungry and pulling into a grocery store.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.