Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the metal cap

I'm not sure what to call the metal piece on the top, so I'm not sure how to search for an answer to my question. Rotating-flower-petal-thing?

So my rotating thing has gotten so gunked up that part of setting up for every cook involves whacking it with a hammer to break it loose so I can rotate the piece to adjust the airflow. Do you all clean this thing, and if so, how do you do it? The tar on it seems pretty impenetrable. 

Or am I the only one with this problem and it's an indication I'm doing something wrong? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

PS Happy Easter! 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    DFMT. You can clean by placing in egg with higher heat say after a pizza cook. Then just hit with Pam or canola oil.
    Or just get the Smokeware SS cap. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    DFMT-dual function metal top (Don't ask about the dual function as the only function is temperature control:) but the easiest way to deal with it is to get it reasonably functional, hit it with some spray cooking oil and then put it in the BGE when you shut it down.  Cast iron behavior and it works.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It is a "Dual Function Metal Top" or DFMT for short. On the rare occasions I use mine, I just put it on the grid after the cook, while the egg is shutting down. Been doing that for nearly 5 years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut