Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Save my ribs

The plan: 2-2-1 baby backs on a Lbge. 250 with cyber q and SS TOP Using an AR WITH oval ceramic with the drip ring foiled 3 chunks of BGE apple chunk Thought I had temp stable but I've been 20 degrees high to the 2 hr mark I've closed SS top to a sliver and have the blower baffled at least half ( it's not running) After foiling and vinegar/rub washing 45 min ago. I'm still at 274 per cyber q probe clipped to dome I'm "due" to uncoil and go bk to grid in 70 min or so What would you do? This is my first indirect. Only 2 cooks prior. Be. Gentle. :-). I know once u build heat it's ha rd to go away. Just looking for a way to save this Thx in advance Doug.
Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE

Comments

• Temp now 268
  • My fear is it max'd at around 283 so it stayed 25-30 too hot from my plan for that first 2+ hrs Cook started 130p local, foiled at 2 hrs. Been cooking foiled for approximately 50 mins
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2014

You will be fine.  Just roll with it.

I would unfoil, and see where you're at.  You can probably sauce and do the rest of the cook unfoiled.
    NOLA
  • Will do. When I foiled the 2 half racks were pretty stiff little to no bone pullback. I'll pull the foil in a bit and do as u suggest. I want em fall off bone but I just didn't want to make leather having been over set temp most of cook.. Thanks.. Red Stripe is calming me down. Lol
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    The temp won't matter too much.  If you want them fall off the bone, I would leave them foiled for another 20-30 min.

NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @budz504 has got you covered.  Finish-line when the full rack will bend 90* or more, also when you can insert a toothpick in the thick meat and get no resistance either direction.  Leather with ribs is undercooked-stay the course!
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Will do. I thought I had temp stability figured out. Lol. Then I added the SS cap after last cook ( new variable) and apparently had too big of opening... Down to 259 now
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Hey Doug, your gonna be just fine. I remember my first ever cook, I was on the phone (across the country) what seems like every fifteen minutes with my brother who was giving me tips. I was in sheer panic. I made it, you'll make it thru. It only gets better from here. Best to you. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    edited April 2014
    Thx guys. This is why I did my first indirect with just 1 rack split.. Nerve wracking. I DO want to figure this out... I'm 58 and until I got the egg a week or so ago, I had only grilled 2 steaks on a gasser 15 years ago.. My burger on the egg, cook 2. Was good though. :-). First attempt with egg, 8 days ago I call 3 hr hot dogs. I got 4 dogs after 3 hrs prep. I laughed and said. I coulda made 2 trips to the varsity. :-). I appreciate the support
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    edited April 2014
    Well we've consumed the runaway ribs! They were edible. In my opinion That 30 degree over temp for first 2 hrs dried them a bit. Basted and foiled for another two at decreasing over temp. When I removed from foil for the last hr, I was encouraged. Prob should hv just pulled em then. But I went approximately 1 hr more. Thx to all who advised/encouraged me. Wifey loved hers (said they were very tender). I said so is dust but dust is dry. :-). Oh I devoured my half rack - I just want to not dry em out so much next time. Going to wk on my temp control.. Attached is not a cedar shingle. It is my half rack with nothing but publix potato salad/slaw.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Jaime_Doug-you are too hard on yourself.  This can appear as rocket science but it is NOT!. Here are a few links for you to enjoy.
    There are more out there-Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yeah I tend to be over critical of myself when it comes to hobbies/skills. For a first indirect, I'm actually thrilled wifey liked hers and I obviously ate all of mine :-). I appreciate the links, I've read a few esp naked whiz but I want to go over fire building for low/slow, if I want to use my cyberq when during lighting/early burn do I mount the adapter/fan. I obviously outmaneuvered the cyberq as it got up to 30 over set point. I THINK I didn't wait long enough for temp to get stable, I had too big of gap in SS top. Thx again to all who read and encouraged me.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I go turbo ribs. 350 , for 90 to 120 minutes. Pass the bend test. Everyone is happy with results. Not fall off bone. But real close.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• May try that Steve.. As a new griller/egger I was just trying to get my low/slow merit badge.. Had to use this AR / cyber q to justify the buy.. (I'm a toy whore what can I say) I am determined to get better at this!
  • Welcome to the lifestyle @Jaime_Doug. At 58, I guess you can teach an old(ish) dog new tricks!

I think most of us on here are our own worst critics. I can almost always find something or other that I'd change about many of my cooks. In my opinion, one of the most important lessons to learn is to relax and enjoy what you're doing.

Looking forward to seeing more of your efforts.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.