Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket resting time

Options
Brisket is done. 13 hours at 230 internal temp 192. It wrapped and in the cooler. My question is how long is too long to rest in the cooler? My will be in the cooler for 4 hours. Is that too long?
McKinney, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If tightly wrapped (double foil) and the cooler air space filled with towels to eliminate the air space you will be fine.  FYI-there are a few tips to extend the FTC window-preheat the cooler with hot water, run the towels thru the dryer but you should be fine.  And when you are ready to serve let it breathe for around 5-10 minutes before slicing and don't slice til ready to eat as the flat can dry out before your eyes!  Enjoy the eats.
    And welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I agree, I have rested mine for 4 hours before in a small cooler, tightly wrapped in foil and towels. It was still hot and ready to serve, but the comment above about not carving till its time to eat is absolutely correct and important!  Enjoy!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You should be fine... I've hold briskets for longer, temp will be ok and it shouldn't dry out.

The only thing you can't avoid is the crust getting softer the longer it waits in FTC... Never done it but I've heard people say you can "re-harden" the crust by removing the brisket from FTC and placing it on an oven/BGE for 5-8 mins @ 500-550* F right before serving... can someone verify? The Cen-Tex Smoker

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico