Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep Those Brining Temps Cold.

Options
YYZash
YYZash Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While looking at a lot of brine recipes for my turkey I kept seeing the instructions bring to boil, cool to room temperature, add remaining ingredients, turkey, and hold in fridge.[p]I figure to submerge a bird you are going to be at about equal parts brine and bird. So rough guess 38 degree bird + 68 degree brine the mix will be somewhere between 50 & 60 degrees. This is just off the top of my head I didn’t do any heat transfer calculations and may be way off base. For a good-sized bird and brine solution the total mass will be sizeable and I don’t see how putting this in the Fridge will reduce it below 40 degrees in an acceptable time frame.[p]I searched the site for "brine temperature" and only found one mention of keeping it cold in this great turkey tips post by Eggor(I learned a lot reading).[p]http://www.biggreenegg.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=92547&catid=1#92547[p]Here is what I did. I was going into a cooler with a 20lb bird. By my recipe I needed 4 quarts apple juice & 6 quarts water. Instead of boiling everything, (helping on pot size), I boiled the apple juice, salt, sugar solution and used mostly ice (topped with water for measurement) for the water, which I put in the cooler. After boiling the apple juice solution, I cooled it to 45 degrees by setting my stockpot in a sink full of ice. I put everything in the cooler and mixed well. My solution hit 32 degrees; I actually thought it would go colder with the salt melting all that ice. I added the turkey and 4 ice packs to take up the extra space to get the bird submerged. Everything is at 34 degrees and I am happy.[p]Have a great Thanksgiving, cook safe. - Daniel

[url][/url]

Comments

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    YYZash,
    I avoided the problem by making the simmered portion of my brine tonight. It is currently cooling down to refrigerator temp in a covered pot out on my screened in porch (it multi-tasks as a walk-in freezer this time of year). Tomorrow, I will combine it, along with a gallon or so of cold water and my bird in a large stock pot. All will go back into the fridge for an overnight soak (12 hours for 23 lbs of "minimally processed" turkey). Sounds like you brine yours longer than I do?

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    YYZash,[p]I did have a big problem with the salt driving down the freezing point of the brine- I did similar to you in terms of adding 12 lbs of ice v 1 1/2g water. My turkey breast came out of the brine at 29F, and my old water smoker never really recovered from that and the cold weather last Thanksgiving.[p]Now I make the brines (turkey and pork loin) early and refrigerate them. Test shot last week went fine.[p][p]Big T
  • YYZash
    Options
    Wdan,
    In my inital reads I saw allot of 1 to 2 days for brining. Dinner is at 2pm so I figured I better get it started tonight because tomorrow night might not give it enough time, I am going to start cooking pretty early on Thursday. But after reading Eggors post it sounds like under brining is better than over brining. Since I will be over 24 hours I added another two quarts of water to dilute my solution just to be on the safe side.
  • YYZash
    Options
    BigT,
    I agree, I thought my brine temp would have been lower. I don’t think a really cold bird will be a problem for the awesomeness that is the egg. Here in Wisconsin, I have already had to defrost my egg in 20-degree temps to get the lid open after it rained the same day. But then I was still able to go lava for a great sear on some NY strips.