Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'll just say it - I'm not really a fan of brisket

buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Probably because I've never really had a good one.  Then again, before I started reading this forum, I couldn't have told you the difference between the flat or the point.  When eating out for BBQ, I rarely (never) choose brisket, and I've never cooked one either.

But seeing all the briskets and reading the stories here has piqued my curiosity.  I've started paying attention to what was available in the markets here, and both Costco and my local market sell full packers regularly.  Turns out, my local market was cheaper (2.99/lb) than Costco (3.25/lb) for a choice packer.

I figured at $35/packer, that's about the same price as a couple of nice steaks, so why not give it a try even if it's just the two of us.  Between everything I've read here and watching the Franklin videos, I felt like I could put it together.

We had a short day of work on Friday, so I got home, cleaned out the egg, and loaded it up with lump (Rockwood) and peach chunks (that's what I had).  I figured I'd get up early and get started.

Got up and lit the egg at 4AM.  Was too bleary eyed to fool with the looftlighter, so just tossed in a starter cube and watched it burn off.  Closed the top to let the egg settle in while I went to trim the brisket.  That sure does look easy in the video.  I understood the concepts, but really had no idea what I was doing.  I just hacked off as much thick fat as I good - trying to leave the quarter inch or so.  Rubbed it with just about 50/50 salt and pepper (a little mroe pepper) with a touch of garlic salt and cayenne.  Finally got the brisket on at 4:45 - temp was showing just over 200 degrees.  Planned on keeping it there for about 4 hours, and would let it climb a little later.

Brisket on (didn't think to take a pic of the battle of the fat, but it was 4 AM)

So watched the temps for a couple of hours, and it was holding steady at about 225 or so, so I went to get a few more hours sleep.  Woke up at nine to some workers next door firing up their power tools.  Temp was steady, so I leisurely got out of bed and checked the brisket about 10.  By then the egg had started to rise towards 300 (I assume as the brisket got smaller the airflow got better).  Still, that was fine, and it seemed like the egg knew the plan.  Looking pretty good so far:

Let it go for a while until the probe was showing about 203.  Checked with the thermapen, and the probe was teasing me.  175 in parts of the flat.  I let it keep going until it was probing nicely and showing 197-202 in the flat.  Pulled after almost exactly 12 hours, and FTC (also a first time to use that technique for me).

Left it in the cooler for about 2 hours. Even though I knew better, I was antsy that it was in there losing temp.  But sure enough, when I pulled it, it was just about too hot to handle with my hands.

Smelled great.  Now for the slicing.  The flat ended out a bit dry, but the taste was amazing.  It probably could have sat in the the egg for another hour.

But holy crap - now I understand all the excitement about the point.  It was incredible.  Literally melt in your mouth.  Unbelievable.

I have to go to a potluck later, so I think I will either chop the flat with some sauce, or make a quick chili.  I don't think there was much of the point left.  Thanks to all the pointers from everyone on here.  I think it came out incredible for a first try, and that's only because of everything I've read on here.

Have a great 4/20.
NOLA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks really good, especially for your first attempt. I take it your opinion of brisket has changed for the better? ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Well done brother.Looks outstanding!! If that's your first one you Are a natural!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That looks great. Congrats.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Looks good man. Pretty good go for the first one as many people go 3+ without getting it right.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Wow!  Amazing job on the brisket.  Looks awesome.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Congratulations on the success.....looks great!!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Yeah! That is quite an accomplishment. Looks great. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • That flat doesn't look overly dry in your picture. How long after you sliced it did you eat it. It can dry out pretty quickly once sliced.

Like @DMW said, great first effort. You got a beautiful smoke ring.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    DMW said:
    Looks really good, especially for your first attempt. I take it your opinion of brisket has changed for the better? ;)
    Indeed.  Like I said, the point was incredible.  And I think I really nailed the bark.  Nice pepper with some spice, but not overpowering.  Will definitely try again, and now I'm starting to eye that SRF site a little bit more.  Damn this site's effect on my wallet!
    NOLA
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Great pics and a beautiful job.  Next time, you can try water in the drip pan to see if that helps.  I do it, but am considering experimenting with the turbo method and no water.  Some also put in a little liquid when they FTC.

I'd say that you have it dialed in for your egg.  Best wishes on your future brisket and whatever else you may choose to smoke.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks awesome!  You got a really nice smoke ring.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    edited April 2014
    That flat doesn't look overly dry in your picture. How long after you sliced it did you eat it. It can dry out pretty quickly once sliced.

Like @DMW said, great first effort. You got a beautiful smoke ring.

Of course, I ate a piece right away.  And I wouldn't say overly dry (although it did get drier pretty quickly).  It was good, but I think I can do better.

I think I jumped the gun on pulling it, because I was seeing 206-208 in the point, and I didn't want to ruin it.  I should have trusted myself and let it run another hour. 

Was still good.  And, yeah, I'm not sure how I got that smoke ring, but it was really pretty.

Thanks all, for your kind words.
    NOLA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Nice looking brisket...

Welcome to the club. When are you doing your next one? :))
  • Spot on, nice job!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Freaking sweet...I'm not a huge fan of the flat. @EggObsessed‌ has a great chili recipe. Sometimes I'll processor the flat, warm in au jus and make hoagies. That is a Beyonce brisket...you put a ring on it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Damn great job man! Flat looks on point so don't sweat it. Comparing it to the point, it won't stand up...unless your one of the great Pitmasters in Austin.

Nice pics and awesome job for your first go at it.

On the flat, how thick were you slices? They look a tad too thick but it could just be the pic. If it's not the pic...your flat slices are similar to how I slice my point. They will eat better being around a pencil thickness.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Oh, screw chili. Chop it up and add sauce...they will love it!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Way to go. It is probably time for you to invite us all over for a meal ;);)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Now that's a home-run.  Congrats on a most eggcellent brisket!  You put the bar way up there.  I'll bet you can't wait to give it another go!  A whole lot more fun than messing around with a simple 'ol steak!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Nice job, it took me 3-4 attempts to get a good feel and the result I wanted.  Great pics and you have made me hungry to do another Brisket in the near future!  Congrats and I hope it changed your opinion of Brisket!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Congrats! I was never a fan of brisket either. Pretty hard to make a good one with Canadian beef. Last couple have been US beef and have been superb. Got one on now that Cen-Tex gave me in Salado. Hope I have done it justice.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• buzd504
    cazzy said:
     On the flat, how thick were you slices? They look a tad too thick but it could just be the pic. If it's not the pic...your flat slices are similar to how I slice my point. They will eat better being around a pencil thickness.

I was shooting for a quarter of an inch, but they are probably a bit too wide.  I was being too careful not to mess up the bark and get a clean slice.

I think I'm going to chop the flat, and warm it with some spicy stubbs sauce doctored with sauteed peppers, onion, garlic, and jalepeno, with a bit of my smoked tomato sauce to flesh it out.  Should make some good sandwiches.
    NOLA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Very nice, looks fantastic. Consider your cook a grand slam. 
    Our house is not "a fan" of brisket as your discussion title reads. Don't get me wrong it is very good, just not a favourite. Lobster is another one, like it, enjoy it, but just not something we go out of our way for.
    Chuck roast is a different thing mind you, SWMBO is a fanatic for pot roast.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Skiddymarker-Okay, since today has connections with miracles I have faith that you can segue from Chuck roast to brisket.  Just gotta plan the journey!  BTW-SWMBO and lobster is the same-saves me $$ but I would rather the alternative.  Being an A's fan-you can prevail! :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The Brisket Club. That would be something I'd watch :-D. Welcome to the club! Nice looking bark and ring.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @lousubcap - misunderstood me, sorry. SWMBO is the chuck girl, I'm a rib roast guy. Don't get me wrong - I like brisket, it is just not my favourite. Here in Canuckistan, brisket, if you can find it, is often more than a rib roast.

Looking good in the bottom of the 7th - last I checked it was 3 to 1. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I thought your post was going to end with those great pictures and you still not liking brisket. I feel a lot better that you liked it. I bet you STILL won't be ordering brisket when you go out with that as your first and probably worst brisket ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    buzd504 said:

I'll just say it - I'm not really a fan of brisket

Neither am I. 

And I'll say my first attempt didn't change that.  I'm using it up in French dip sandwiches for work, but I won't be cooking another one.  I will continue to smoke briskets that have first been corned, as I like a good pastrami, but other than that, I'm not ever going to be a brisket lover.
    It's just not my "cup of tea" (neither is tea for that matter).

I'm glad you're happy with yours, though.  It does look really good, I just know it isn't my preferred cut of beef now.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

Same here, much better ways to spend your hard earned coin. 

American or Canadian, you can't polish a turd.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    If you have a suitable blade for the job, a dry flat can be cut really thin, tossed with some BBQ sauce, and turned into excellent sandwiches.