Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st turbo brisket advice?

Options
i have seen a good amount of threads on turbo brisket.  i am interested in details from anyone willing to share.  cooking for about 25 tonight.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not a turbo pro but I will take a shot if no one else replies if you are interested.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• coachbdouble
    Options
    yes please.  fire away!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When I turbo brisket I Iike to cook at 350 degrees. I also like to set them right on the grid for 2-2 1/2 hours. At this point I like to finish them In a pan uncovered. If you injected just sit it right in the pan on its on. If you didn't inject I recommend adding a little beef broth to the pan or your liquid of choice. Don't get carried away with the liquid just add about half a cup. The brisket will soon render plenty of liquid to go along with the broth. I find when I turbo I usually have to take to a higher internal temp than normal to achieve the desired result that I'm looking for. I'm presuming that you already have a rub in mind but if not I will make a recommendation on that as well. I prefer oak wood or a 50-50 mix of oak and pecan for smoke. If I missed any thing just ask and I will offer what I can.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2014
    Options
    (Edit - I answered for pork! Nevermind..)

I'd only add that you want a 7-9lb butt for turbo. Cooking for that many people may need 2 butts, don't buy one big one unless you want to split it. If you buy two smaller, you get 2 money muscles... :)

If the butt is bigger than around nine lbs, the outside will be overdone by the time the insides are done. I've only been told that.. sounds right so I follow it.

Good luck, easy cook, and happy Easter!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • coachbdouble
    Options
    appreciate the advice.  got 8 chickens, 8 slabs of ribs, and a ton of sides to go with the 2 briskets, to feed the crew.  appreciate the help...happy easter to all!!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That's one busy Easter egg. Good luck and let us know how it all works out
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos