Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

75 lbs of brisket - suggestions

Fellow BGE Owners, I am smoking over 75 lbs of brisket this weekend. My plan is to put the briskets on my AR for a long slow cook on Friday, say 215, start smoking at 5 PM and let it roll until Saturday around 2 PM. After the internal temperature reaches 205 pull them off and FTC until I have to take these to the party Saturday night. Does this approach make sense?

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    How many eggs you using?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ask Centex
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    And take pictures.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    So... roughly 6 briskets?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Do you have more than one egg?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • a few thoughts:

1) 215 is way too low for your planned time. You will be at least 1.5 (probably 2) hrs per lb at 215. Assuming you are cooking 4 large briskets of 18+ lbs each, you are looking at a 24-30 hour cook at that temp. There is no reason to cook that low anyway and you are just inviting the fire to go out at that temp when your egg is stuffed to the gills with 75 lbs of meat (no airflow).  I would do more like 250 and plan on an hr per. Do what you want but you won't be done at 2 if you cook at 215 and start at 5 pm. 

2) the briskets on top will cook faster than the briskets on the bottom. They will also soak the briskets on the bottom, most likely keeping them form forming a good bark.  I would rotate them once the bark sets on the top briskets and add more rub if needed to the bottom briskets (now on top) once you rotate them. That will allow them all to cook more evenly and allow the bark to set on all of them as well

Sounds like a fun cook. Good luck and have fun.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    215 is too low!  You might run into stability problems if you don't have a pit controller and you might struggle getting through the stall.

I'd rather see you roll at 250 dome and start later than 5pm.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    hapster said:

And give out the address of where that party is happening

+3 brisket address? ;-). Oops I meant what is the party address. Sounds like a meal of kings! Please kill us with pics.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    +3 brisket address? ;-). Oops I meant what is the party address. Sounds like a meal of kings! Please kill us with pics.
    Okay, I've been wanting to ask you.  I always see you do +3 when you agree with what someone else says.  It's always +3, never +1 if you're the first one or +4 and so on.

Does +3 mean something?  I would use +3 if I was the 3rd person to agree.  Honestly not busting your balls, just confused by your usage.  #-o
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2014
    j++;
    printf(“+%i“, j);

There.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • cazzy

j++;
    printf(“+%i“, j);

There.

:))
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    I just assumed he was implying he was three drinks along.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @spence‌
    Sir if you live close to Biloxi you can borrow one of my offsets. I'm currently working in the Gulf of Mexico but if you are interested let me know and I will call my wife and have her open the shop for you when you are ready. It will sure take the work out of it for you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    cazzy said:

hapster said:

Okay, I've been wanting to ask you.  I always see you do +3 when you agree with what someone else says.  It's always +3, never +1 if you're the first one or +4 and so on.

Does +3 mean something?  I would use +3 if I was the 3rd person to agree.  Honestly not busting your balls, just confused by your usage.  #-o
    @cazzy‌... I've been wondering this myself! Just found out why. When I would type +1 my friggin autocorrect was automatically changing to +3. So at some point I had an equation saved and apparently this is kept stored in "custom dictionary". So anytime I would put +1 the autocorrect would change it. There were like 150 other obscure things in this custom dictionary I have deleted.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • You'll be fine. Your plan sounds good. You will probably need to rotate them during the cook. Can't wait to see the results!
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

hapster said:

@cazzy‌... I've been wondering this myself! Just found out why. When I would type +1 my friggin autocorrect was automatically changing to +3. So at some point I had an equation saved and apparently this is kept stored in "custom dictionary". So anytime I would put +1 the autocorrect would change it. There were like 150 other obscure things in this custom dictionary I have deleted.

=))

Well that makes sense!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I'm no brisket expert but shouldn't he be testing them way before 205?

Also... Who the hell is big green craig?? One of you is enough. :)
    Beaufort, SC
  • cazzy

=))
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Sounds like five briskets. Do them at 225*. :) Pics or it didn't happen.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SGH said:
    @spence‌ Sir if you live close to Biloxi you can borrow one of my offsets. I'm currently working in the Gulf of Mexico but if you are interested let me know and I will call my wife and have her open the shop for you when you are ready. It will sure take the work out of it for you.
    That is one kind offer @SGH!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    have you done a cook this size before, i know with my large if i really pack it with cold meat the pit temp drops for hours and i have to trust the settings i stabilized at or im chasing temps for hours. there is no place to put the probe without the cold meat screwing with it and giving you false readings. the first time i did it i had the vents wide open, a thousand degree fire, and a pit temp below 200 before i realized what was going wrong
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'm no brisket expert but shouldn't he be testing them way before 205? Also... Who the hell is big green craig?? One of you is enough. :)

he's the forum friendly version of the former. Took all the blog stuff out.
  • plumbfir01

I'm no brisket expert but shouldn't he be testing them way before 205?

:-? Seems legit
    Beaufort, SC
  • I'm no brisket expert but shouldn't he be testing them way before 205? Also... Who the hell is big green craig?? One of you is enough. :)

:-? Seems legit

does to me.
  • plumbfir01
    I guess his .com affiliation is frowned upon on here? I think his blog rocks
    Beaufort, SC
  • spence
    spence Posts: 8
    Update to the story, I was given one flat and one point to smoke. Both of these meats were different sizes. I smoked the point all night and put the flat on early in the morning. I was really pleased with the smoke on the point, I used Pecan chips mixed throughout the lump. Also I just used salt and pepper. I pulled the briskets off at 195 and followed the FTC method. All in all the meat turned out very good. Sorry no pictures. Thanks to all your responses.
  • I'm confused... how was this 75lbs. of brisket?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    There is something rotten in Denmark.
    Dave - Austin, TX