Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt question

Options
jmarbs21
jmarbs21 Posts: 139
So I am cooking two a little less than 8lbs each boneless pork butts I bought from costco. They have been on the egg for about 15hrs now at 225. I know from what I have read on here that the pork will stall at around 160. My two have stayed in the 140's temp for maybe 7hrs. Can it stall earlier than 160? Im not worried about timing because we are eating tomorrow, I just don't understand. Its now at 150 internal just got out of the 140's. I am using the bbq guru with the meat probe. I did stick a meat thermometer in the other butt and its right around the same as the guru temp. The reason I don't understand is I cooked two about the same size a few weeks ago and they were done in just under 14hrs. Just when I thought I was learning how to cook on the egg...
Durham, NC

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It absutley can and will. There is no exact temp when meat will stall as there are so many variables that factor in .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I can give further detail on this of needed.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• randerson1126
    Options
    I would raise the temperature. In my experience 225 dome temperature is pretty low. I usually cool between 250 and 265 some temperature and things seem to finish in a reasonable amount of time and the results have always been great.
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm actually in the same boat right now, but at 160 with 2 Sam's butts at about 7 lbs apiece.  Been there about 1.5 hours, with a grid temp between 225 - 250.  I put the butts on about 8 hours ago.

I would think that as long as your GRID temp does not go below 225, you're fine and you just have to wait it out.  I'm fighting the battle with another beer, myself.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned above, if you are at 225*F on the dome then the dome to grid off-set will get you.  Fell into this trap first go-round with the BGE-on indirect cooks the dome temp will run anywhere from 20 -40*F or more higher than the cooking grid.  Off-set closes the longer the dome is shut but it is there and will impact cook times.
    So, crank it up and punch them home-you will have great eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Options
    Are you using water in your drip pan?  That can extend the stall.  I found this link on this site and it explains much.  http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html  

I'm a very low and slow guy, but the more I read, the more I am inclined to move up to 250 dome for my low and slow instead of 225 (and sometimes below).

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Where do you have your DigiQ probe? Clipped to the dome thermo or on the cookinging grid? If on the grid, how close to the meat?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jmarbs21
    Options
    Oh ok thats good to know it can stall at other temperatures than what I thought was 160. Also glad to know someone else is in the same boat as me as well. Im using the guru with the pit clip on the grid so I know its at 225. I also did use a drip pan with water in it. Now the temperature is starting to climb so maybe im over the stall.  
    Durham, NC
  • jmarbs21
    Options
    The probe is on the grid, its clipped near the edge of the cooking surface not to far from the meat.
    Durham, NC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jmarbs21 said:

Oh ok thats good to know it can stall at other temperatures than what I thought was 160. Also glad to know someone else is in the same boat as me as well. Im using the guru with the pit clip on the grid so I know its at 225. I also did use a drip pan with water in it. Now the temperature is starting to climb so maybe im over the stall.  

Stalls are like women, they can cause you to stress out and over think things.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Remember this for future reference. It will always take longer to cook in a humid environment than a dry one. The water pan will slow the cooking down considerably. This is not a bad thing. It actually gives the meat more time to render but it does slow down getting to the finish line.

Status- Standing by.

• Ronk
    Ronk Posts: 1
    Options

All who are doing an Easter Ham, can we share our procedures and outcomes on Monday to see how it all worked out for future reference?

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Ok one word TURBO. I did a 9 lb pork butt today in 7.5 hours running it from 350 to 300 and back to 350 at 175 to get it done with dinner with friends in the neighborhood. Pulled it at 195. It was great. I don't think I will slow cook butt ever after this experiment. Doing another one tomorrow to slice temp of 185. Check out the photo.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    BAM and you have done it,looks great. From now on you will sleep at night and cook during the day :D:D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Startiing another one now.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options

Ok one word TURBO. I did a 9 lb pork butt today in 7.5 hours running it from 350 to 300 and back to 350 at 175 to get it done with dinner with friends in the neighborhood. Pulled it at 195. It was great. I don't think I will slow cook butt ever after this experiment. Doing another one tomorrow to slice temp of 185. Check out the photo.

That is beautiful!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm working on trying to get four five pound butts done for my wife's family today for Easter lunch! The stall has forced me into wrapping them with foil. I wanted to not do that this time. But I'm working on a time schedule today! Here is what they looked like before wrapping them.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    msloan said:

I'm working on trying to get four five pound butts done for my wife's family today for Easter lunch! The stall has forced me into wrapping them with foil. I wanted to not do that this time. But I'm working on a time schedule today! Here is what they looked like before wrapping them.

What temp were you cooking them at? If you were at 350 the whole time they should have been done at least in 7 to 8 hours.

Kansas City, Mo.