Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Brisket... On the right track ???

Options
Started with a whole brisket 11lbs., trimmed one side very well, left "fat cap" on the other. Injected with broth and garlic, pepper and rubbed outside 2 hours prior. Got the Egg stable at around 250-260 , planning on going till 195-200 Temp.... been on now for 2 hours of good apple smoke. .... What NEXT ??... Pull before bed (about 4-5 hours) and pan or wrap ??  OR just let 'er rip till early am ??  Opinions ??

Metro Atlanta Georgia egger with Large, Mini,and Chimenea

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If dome is stable I would let it go. My guess is it will be around a 15-16hr cook at those temps. I am sure @dmw , @cazzy , @lousubcap or Centex will be along soon

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I am doing a 11lber tonight also! salt and pepper! going on at 10 at 225 and will pull it when it hits 188 IT tomorrow around 3or 4!! Good Luck to you!!
    Brandon, MS
  • androodp
    androodp Posts: 18
    Options
    Dome has been stable 250 to 260 for 3 hours now.. plenty of lump in Egg, I filled partially up in fire ring above bowl. Yeah... 15-16 hour is what i'm trying to "schedule" for.. off in time to foil and cooler and travel to folks for Lunch. Would you maybe put it foil pan just to catch any drippings ? ... Good luck to you too Lovetheegg

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @loveTheEgg - Why a designated temp and not when the thickest part probes tender?

analyze adapt overcome

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I would for sure put a pan under the brisket to catch the drippings or it will fall on the plate setter and burn!!
    Brandon, MS
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You should have a drip pan in between the brisket and PS but I wouldn't wrap or put in a pan, period. That would cause a loss of bark and basically steam your meat. All this said thinking you are doin a packer A flat is a whole different story.
    A brisket that is done to the correct tenderness will not fall apart like pork. If it falls apart it is overdone.

analyze adapt overcome

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I would definitely use a drip pan, and I pull at 185ish and then FTC for an hour, before cutting, use this time to put a fine edge on the knife.  I have found that over 190 the meat starts to separate to much and become more like pulled beef.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • loveTheEgg
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @loveTheEgg - Why a designated temp and not when the thickest part probes tender?
    I have done about 20 briskets this same way and I have never checked (probed) it for tenderness! when it hits 188 I pull it off FTC for one hour and its the most tender and moist brisket! I don't know how I get away with it but like I said I have done it the exact same way every time! 10-11 lb salt and pepper...(1/4 cup of salt 1/2 cup of pepper mixed thoroughly)  225 until it hits 188 IT and its done! I tried the 200 IT once and it was bone dry! so I stick with what works for me!
    Brandon, MS
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    What grade of brisket are you using?
    The few that I have done, mainly select and a couple prime or better were higher in temp before done. Not doubting you by any means just trying to make my brisket cooks easier. Thanks for any advice.

analyze adapt overcome

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I have bought just about all of mine from Sams..... although the last two came from Walmart and they seemed to be the best ever! I got the one today from Sams! I don't really have a secret... I just put them on and let it go!! :) I hope you can get a easy cook! Happy Easter! 
    Brandon, MS
  • androodp
    Options
    OK... well, I did have a drip pan between PS and grid and kept it full of liquid all night, got up during the night to blustery winds and the temp had creeped up to 273... dampered it a little and went back to bed. Up at 7 Egg temp at 225  and the Internal temp was already at 210.. probe went in like it was a stick of soft butter all over... Really hoping it isn't "overdone" and dried out. Got it foiled toweled and in cooler. NEXT question .... How long is it safe to sit that way before cutting and eating ??? Still 5 hours till lunch and don't want to slice and refrigerate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I would normally be the first to respond but I'm hoping @DMW will take this one.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You should be OK at 5 hours FTC. Any chance you preheated the cooler? I always preheat with hot water in the cooler for about an hour for long holds.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Properly done, a 5 hour FTC should be no problem at all. As @DMW suggested, you can preheat your cooler. You can also preheat your towels by throwing them in your clothes dryer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I like the towels in the dryer trick, doing to try that today. Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • androodp
    Options
    Didn't think to "preheat" the cooler... it was just good ole room temp. My biggest concern is food safety for meat to be "out" that long... Thanks for input and ideas.

• androodp
    Options
    Well... the brisket was good... Not great, but good. The creep in temp overnight led to it being  done sooner than I was awake, shoulda been pulled earlier. The thinner end of the flat had some crumble when slicing.....It wasn't dry, but not much juice left. Overall for my first, I was satisfied and learned a thing or two for the next one. Thanks yall !

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @androodp‌...that's the key. Learning from each cook. Making written notes or mental ones is always helpful for future cooks. But, note: if inebriation is close at hand ya may want to scratch that mental note thing. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL