Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally tried cold smoking

Options
I bought a dryer exhaust vent, jammed it into the top of the BGE, and put the other end into a cardboard box. I made some effort to keep the box higher than the fire but that's about as much thought as I put into it. 

The fire was 300F (per dome thermometer) and I had to refresh the apple wood chunks a few times. 

Temperature in the box was 67F, about 5F higher than ambient. There were a couple of pounds of cheese on a grate in the box. I cut a sample and it's definitely strongly smoke flavored, but it isn't ruined with creosote, either. After a couple of weeks of resting, it should be pretty good--based on what I have read. 

This thread gave me a lot of info:

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    A fine looking set-up indeed!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying that for jerky
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    That's my rig. Jappledog from the old forum did that about twelve years ago and I think it went over everyone's heads.

I took notes, and it has worked well ever since

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I know Julie pretty well. Great cook, great Lady.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job fleshorse.  I rigged that similar configuration and find the mylar will degrade above the top of the egg.  My only suggestion would be to use aluminum flex.  Galvanized hard duct like Joval is even better because you only need to support it on the ends.
    Options
    Addendum.  @SenecaTheYounger I did not mean to correct you, just saying this preemptively, so you don't mistake my intentions like before.  And as I have you.  Friends.  Peace.  Slow cat blink.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have found the mylar degrades as well, but i just cut it off.
    No offense taken, even when it is intended ( by others I mean. Not specifically you.)

There are positives to being on the spectrum. I amn't emotional. So although I can learn to detect that some might be mocking, the mockery itself doesn't cause any hurt.

The downside is the inability to form true friendships. Ah well. We all have our thing.

I enjoy learning. Whatever you can share I find is a net plus for me.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

No offense taken, even when it is intended ( by others I mean. Not specifically you.) There are positives to being on the spectrum. I amn't emotional. So although I can learn to detect that some might be mocking, the mockery itself doesn't cause any hurt. The downside is the inability to form true friendships. Ah well. We all have our thing. I enjoy learning. Whatever you can share I find is a net plus for me.
    In spite of our ugly joust a couple of evening ago - you intrigue me. I have a six-year-old grandson who is high- functioning (scary smart) on the syndrome. He can be as lovable as he can anti-social, has technical and IT skills way beyond his peers and is the most beautiful child in the world. I was going to send you a crossword rejoinder but demurred at the last minute. Bygone be bygones?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    P.S. I still use an Amaz-N-smoker

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    If that dryer vent didn't hold up you can always use water heater venting, it's flexible and meant for higher temperatures. $25 for 3'.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌

As I mentioned (and as I'm sure you are all tired off hearing), I may be aware (in a clinical sense) that someone has made a dig at me, but it doesn't offend. I simply reply in kind. Like someone passionless about tennis who nevertheless can spend hours volleying against a wall. It's the nature of the wiring.

So, someone called me stiff. And then when i mocked in return became offended. I find that interesting, more than anything.

I only responded that way to those who felt comfortable making the first negative comments. I haven't initiated.

At the risk of opening the floodgates, it's not possible to offend me. I am thankful for that. Because things wash over me.

But I do regret that the corollary is that I also am missing the other social connections normal people make.

No animosity here.
    Thanks for reaching out

G.W.

Seneca Falls, NY

• PhillyBoy23
    Options
    Looks like a cool setup. I use the A maze N smoker to cold smoke.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I need to give this set up a try the next cold snap.  I've been just using the can/soldering iron method but I like trying all kinds of ways.  Thanks for sharing!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • mbcjr
    mbcjr Posts: 14
    Options
    I been using the Smokdaddy for the past few years with no issues what so ever. Just hook it up to an Old Brinkman, or anything for that matter.  It takes about 10min. and I'm smoking. And I don't need a lot of room.  I use the medium Smoke Daddy.  They got a bunch now for any application.  Talked with the owner and the CS is great!

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/

Good luck and you won't be disappointed .
    mbcjr/God Bless
    mbcjr/God Bless
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm really interested in the Smoke Daddy. They have an adapter that lets you attach it to the BGE, and I'm going to get the Adjustable Rig anyway, so I will have a lot of surface area to cook on... Makes sense not to buy another enclosure to smoke in when I already have one. 

Anyway, here is a cheese update. 

I let the cheese dry on a rack in the fridge overnight... I'm not sure if I was supposed to let it dry at room temperature instead, because the surface dried to the point where it began to crack. I vacuum bagged everything, and now I have to wait... I'm going to let half the cheese rest at room temperature, and the other half in the fridge. 

It feels wrong to leave cheese at room temperature, but these are all hard cheeses and the smoking gurus say it will be OK! We'll see. The cheese guys also claim that you can age cheese at home... Seal it and stick it in the fridge for months or years and it will get better. Sounds too easy!

If you are thinking about trying the cardboard box smoker, give it a shot. I don't have finished product yet, but it was cheap and easy and I can already tell I'm on the right path. 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Forgive me in my ignorance in the cold smoking world lol. Looking at the picture you have posted with the vent dryer going into the top of the egg and your egg temperature at 300°, wouldn't that heat transfer directly into the box through the vent dryer hose? I'm a little lost here on how you're able to maintain a temperature of 67° In your cardboard box. I think it's awesome that we can cold smoke cheese in the egg, but I definitely have a lot of questions before I want to take on that type of cooking skills.
    I bought a dryer exhaust vent, jammed it into the top of the BGE, and put the other end into a cardboard box. I made some effort to keep the box higher than the fire but that's about as much thought as I put into it. 

The fire was 300F (per dome thermometer) and I had to refresh the apple wood chunks a few times. 

Temperature in the box was 67F, about 5F higher than ambient. There were a couple of pounds of cheese on a grate in the box. I cut a sample and it's definitely strongly smoke flavored, but it isn't ruined with creosote, either. After a couple of weeks of resting, it should be pretty good--based on what I have read. 

This thread gave me a lot of info:

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    The foil of the vent cools the smoke rapidly, and only cold smoke enters the cardboard box

Seneca Falls, NY

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I had so much fun I bought a ridiculous pile of cheese at Costco and I am trying again--this time, with pecan smoke. I also added a tray of almonds, and some kosher salt. 

I sure hope this is good. :)