Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket in Minnesota?

OK Minnesota eggers, where are you all buying brisket?  Both Sam's Club and Costco only had flats.  :(  I know I bought one last year at Sam's so maybe it's a hit or miss thing there?  I was so looking forward to brisket tomorrow but have settled for ribs instead.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    I've seen prime packers at the Maple Grove Costco last couple of times I've been there, otherwise Angus meats in Maplewood has choice packers for a decent price.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited April 2014
    Shakopee Sams 100% carries packers. Possibly Bloomington as well. Eden Prairie Costco only carries points. I'm not much help otherwise for which one carries what
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    I'll have to check Shakopee Sam's.  I went to Apple Valley and Eagan today.  Apple Valley didn't have a single brisket and Eagan had flats.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• WeberWho
    The Shakopee Sams usually always has 3-4 packers in stock when I stop in. I would maybe call ahead just in case with it being a holiday.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    There are 2 Restaurant Depots in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  If you're a member of the Kansas City BBQ society you can get a free day pass.  This web site should show you where they are located:

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/locations?Id=455

might be worth a trip in the future.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JenGang
    Shiff said:
    There are 2 Restaurant Depots in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  If you're a member of the Kansas City BBQ society you can get a free day pass.  This web site should show you where they are located:

I was looking into this today and I think I might buy the membership to KCBS.  I think I heard once that if you shop there with the KCBS membership that it's cash only.  Do you know if that's true?  I would hate to get over there and try to pay with my debit card and not be able to.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• JenGang
    WeberWho? said:
    The Shakopee Sams usually always has 3-4 packers in stock when I stop in. I would maybe call ahead just in case with it being a holiday.
    I gave up on the brisket for this weekend and will be doing ribs instead.  Since it's just hubby and our 17 yo daughter, it's not like we will be letting anyone down by not having it.   I guess I'll just have to do it next weekend instead.  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    JenGang said:

Shiff said:

I was looking into this today and I think I might buy the membership to KCBS.  I think I heard once that if you shop there with the KCBS membership that it's cash only.  Do you know if that's true?  I would hate to get over there and try to pay with my debit card and not be able to.

I always have used my credit card with no problem.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I have gotten packers at Sams in Apple Valley, Eagan and Woodbury. I have even seen smaller 10# whole packers at Walmart in Woodbury on multiple occasions.
    Woodbury, MN. Large BGE
  • JenGang
    ambergirl said:
    I have gotten packers at Sams in Apple Valley, Eagan and Woodbury. I have even seen smaller 10# whole packers at Walmart in Woodbury on multiple occasions.

I'm wondering if lots of people are doing brisket for Easter dinner and that's why I couldn't find them.  Sam's in Apple Valley only had 3 tenderloins and 2 rib roasts for larger cuts of beef.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited April 2014
    Tried to post a response about Restaurant Depot and got the dreaded message about approval required.  I'll try to post it again.

If you have a day pass at Restaurant Depot you have to use credit card, debit card, or cash. No checks allowed. I heard this was due to some bad checks they got from some day pass users.

I have never seen so many briskets in one place.  They carry several grades - Superior Angus (not really a grade but more expensive than regular USDA Choice), Choice, and select.

Mine carries all types of beef ribs - Back ribs, plate ribs, and chuck short ribs.

Most RD locations carry fresh fish, which is of the highest quality I have seen anywhere.

I'm obviously a big fan of the store.

Barry
    Lancaster, PA
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Did you actually ask someone in the meat department if they had packers. The Costco that we go to only puts flats in the display case but, if I ask, they always have packers in the back.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @JenGang‌

Just wanted to let you know the bacon tots you posted has been a huge bit on here. Again thanks for posting them. Would like to wish you and your family a safe and Happy Easter.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JenGang
    Did you actually ask someone in the meat department if they had packers. The Costco that we go to only puts flats in the display case but, if I ask, they always have packers in the back.
    Never thought to ask them but I will the next time I'm there.  It was insane there yesterday so my primary goal was to just make it out alive.  LOL

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• JenGang
    SGH said:
    @JenGang‌ Just wanted to let you know the bacon tots you posted has been a huge bit on here. Again thanks for posting them. Would like to wish you and your family a safe and Happy Easter.
    Glad you like them!  Since I only made a small batch of them last weekend, I froze the remainder of my bacon so I wouldn't be tempted to make more.  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Filbert
    Filbert Posts: 21
    I was at the Costco in Maple Grove on Friday and they had full briskets as well as flats.
  • We regularly see full primes at the Costco in St Louis Park...amazingly cheap as well...in the $2.69/ lb range if I recall correctly.
    Brisket Is My Spirit Animal
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Brisket at Costco? I must be missing something, does it go by another name?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • JenGang
    jjsupafly said:
    We regularly see full primes at the Costco in St Louis Park...amazingly cheap as well...in the $2.69/ lb range if I recall correctly.
    Yeah, we looked at Von Hanson's just to check the price and it was $9.99 and the kids working the counter couldn't even tell me if it was a flat, point or packer.  I'm going to have to ask the next time I go to Costco to see if they carry packers. 

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• WeberWho
    Stopped in Von Hanson's a few years ago and asked about brisket. Brisket was almost a foreign word to them. I'm guessing they don't get very many customers asking for brisket. They did point me to some frozen brisket loin they had frozen in the freezer. :))

Minnesota
  • DMW
    If you can't find any, there's always mail order.

Wal-Mart had choice briskets all winter here. I did a couple and they were pretty good. For the past 2 weeks I've been looking and they didn't have any. Today they had some, but they were select. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on one from Creekstone, you get a 10% discount with a KCBS membership and free shipping. SRF shipping is almost as much as the brisket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    EggNorth said:

The second time I saw prime packers at Maple Grove Costco I asked the butcher if this would be a regular thing and he said it would, that they got some on accident and they sold so well that it was decided to be a regular item.
  • DMW
    D_Train said:
    EggNorth said:

The second time I saw prime packers at Maple Grove Costco I asked the butcher if this would be a regular thing and he said it would, that they got some on accident and they sold so well that it was decided to be a regular item.
    Wow, prime brisket for $2.69/lb? I'm jealous!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Look at the date is it still ok?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JenGang
    D_Train said:
    EggNorth said:

Well maybe I need to make a trip to Maple Grove!  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    If anyone is at maple grove costco and they also see prime packers for under $3/ lb, please ler me know. I will get a costco membership just for the packers.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    I have bought 30 prime packers from Maple Grove Costco over the last 3 months.  Started at $2.59lb, now they are $3.79/lb.  Been Creekstone Farms most of the time.  Jump on it!
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Ask for it from the butcher.  Where I live in NJ, same issue.  I went to Costco and they only had flats.  I asked the butcher if he could get me a packer and a minute later, he had a packer in hand.

If you don't ask for the order, you won't get it!
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    St Louis Park Costco has them. Also might be worth a call to Evertt's in Powderhorn - if they don't have it they can get it.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • JenGang
    I went to Sam's in Apple Valley tonight and they had packers.  $3.18 lb for choice.

Jen

Lakeville, MN