Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And the lamb shall lay down with the ham

TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
... or something like that. We're doing Easter dinner tonight; ham and lamb. Doing both indirect @350* dome temp. The ham has been on a little over an hour and the leg just went on. I was going to use a different recipe for the lamb (something involving a spice called zatter that I could not find) but instead went with sliced garlic inserted into the leg and with some evoo, s&p, rosemary and thyme.image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Food looks great my friend. And I'm pretty sure it's the lion will lie down with the lamb.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    Food looks great my friend. And I'm pretty sure it's the lion will lie down with the lamb.
    I felt like I was close.  X_X
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    You was brother. Real close!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Isn't zattar a blend or something?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac said:
    Isn't zattar a blend or something?
    Yes. Lebanese I think. It's what I get for waiting until the "day of" to find any. I've still got another leg and two shoulders from my whole lamb purchase last week so I will have other opportunities to try it.
    I'm stuck in Scarborough for the weekend. Looking for it would give me something to do besides listening to my Mother in Law.
  • gmac said:
    I'm stuck in Scarborough for the weekend. Looking for it would give me something to do besides listening to my Mother in Law.
    Hey @gmac, I really hate to impose, seeing how this is a holiday weekend, but do you think you could help me out by going out and finding me some zatter?
    edited April 2014
    That looks awesome im doing a ham and leg of lamb tomorrow, I'm thinking sous vide for the lamb and then sear it.

And yes Spa-Peggy is her signature dish but she does make a tasty Frito Pie and a Mean Apple Brown Betty.

Granted Minhs is not bad but she uses nutmeg.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    That looks awesome im doing a ham and leg of lamb tomorrow, I'm thinking sous vide for the lamb and then sear it. And yes Spa-Peggy is her signature dish but she does make a tasty Frito Pie and a Mean Apple Brown Betty. Granted Minhs is not bad but she uses nutmeg.
    LOL! @Tuttle871, I hope you noted that I changed my sig line... hoping your wife felling better!
    Yep. The comfort food she got made her back to normal. That's why she has been bossing me around today getting everything clean for tomorrow.

Yep I did notice that you changed it I was cracking up.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2014
    And now I've got Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis in my head for some reason. Man I've got weird wiring...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    And now I've got Lamb Lays Down on Broadway by Genesis in my head for some reason. Man I've got weird wiring...
    And now I have "Nights On Broadway" from the Bee Gees stuck in my head.......and now Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake singing "Barry Gibb Talk Show" on SNL........oh god, this has legs. I will be messed up for days. I'm sure ABBA will make an appearance somewhere soon.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • That looks righteous!

Flint, Michigan
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814

gmac said:

Hey @gmac, I really hate to impose, seeing how this is a holiday weekend, but do you think you could help me out by going out and finding me some zatter?

I will see what I can do. This area is more shrilankan and Asian but is am sure I will be out and about and if I see it, I'll grab some.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Zaatar is a middle Eastern spice blend. There is an Arab market close to RGBVH that has it. I'll pick up a couple of bags and share it at the TO fest. Pantsypants and I used it in the lamb sausage we made. You can make your own but you need sumac.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    John I have some .
    I am sure it's a bit late but you can have it .....
    Toronto
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    DMW said:
    And now I've got Lamb Lays Down on Broadway by Genesis in my head for some reason. Man I've got weird wiring...
    And now I have "Nights On Broadway" from the Bee Gees stuck in my head.......and now Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake singing "Barry Gibb Talk Show" on SNL........oh god,  this has legs. I will be messed up for days. I'm sure ABBA will make an appearance somewhere soon.

All that's okay, as long as it flushes that damn *#&%^$ "Happy" song out of my head.  I swear, there's a snippet of it in every damn commercial and elevator feed in the country right now, and it sticks like a salt shaker at Dennies.  
    X(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• gmac said:
    gmac said:
    I will see what I can do. This area is more shrilankan and Asian but is am sure I will be out and about and if I see it, I'll grab some.
    @gmac... I wasn't being serious, just trying to give you a legitimate excuse to get a break from your mil. Thanks though!
  • Thanks @pantyspants and LS... I've been working from home all week (and Mon. & Tue). I'm sure I'll be able to find some once I'm back down near the office. If not, I may take you up on your offers.
    For sure.
    I think they may sell it at the no frills at Wilson and Bathurst .
    Or any middle Eastern food store
    Toronto
  • For sure. I think they may sell it at the no frills at Wilson and Bathurst . Or any middle Eastern food store
    Certainly no shortage of those in and around the area where we both office.
    Correct
    Toronto
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ looks great so far. Are you glazing the ham?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Glazed (using this recipe) and already eaten (last night). Both the ham and the lamb turned out fantastic and everyone had multiple servings.

Did not get any pics of the finished product as we were busy with family and getting everything served.
    @TexanOfTheNorth  I did look but like I said, the specialty stores around my inlaws (besides the normal chain stores) are Asian or Sri-Lankan or even Caribbean.  Didn't see any that would have Za'atar, I'm sure that it was there somewhere but not in my quick look.  
  • Thanks @gmac... I really appreciate that. I'm going to stop by one of the many middle eastern grocers near my office and see if I can find some.