Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my brisket

I'm doing a 10.5 full brisket, but am getting worried. I've read about the temp plateau, in fact I hit one at 171 internal temp at the 6 hr mark. It last about 2 hours. Now I seem to have hit another at the 9 hr mark, stuck at 181 for another 90 minutes. I really was hoping to avoid doing the TX crutch...what should I do
Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
Naperville, IL

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Crank the heat
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If @cazzy doesn't respond I will take a shot at it. Hopefully he is responding.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Is time a issue?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    No, I have the rest of the night, if need be..
    Naperville, IL
  • leave it alone then. Mine stalled again at 184 today for 3 hours. I cranked it to 300 to get it through. It was a very stubborn brisky but not uncommon for them to stall twice.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What temp you cookin at?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    No @cazzy here but make sure your internal thermo is checking the flat.  The point has much more fat content and will run a good 10*F or more hotter than the flat.  The key finish-line indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Depending on the quality of the brisket meat going in it can happen anywhere from the low-mid 180's to the low 200's.  And if time is not an issue I would ride it neeked to the finish-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    I concur. Just let it do it's thing if time is not a factor. If not an absolute must try to avoid chasing temps when cooking brisket and whole hog as things can go south very quickly.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'll add another +1 to if time isn't an issue let it ride.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Pull it off, place it in foil...then drench it with squeeze butter, agave, and honey. 8-} :^o @-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    cazzy said:

Pull it off, place it in foil...then drench it with squeeze butter, agave, and honey. 8-}

Don't do that! @Cazzy is looking for an escape from his in-laws.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    @cazzy is pulling your tail man. Don't do it. Let it ride.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy said:
    Pull it off, place it in foil...then drench it with squeeze butter, agave, and honey. 8-} :^o @-)
    somebody has been watching the Pit Masters marathon while prepping for tomorrow :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    DMW said:

cazzy said:

Pull it off, place it in foil...then drench it with squeeze butter, agave, and honey. 8-}

Love my in-laws like they were my own parents! Freaking blessed mang.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    cazzy said:

That's twisted cazzy
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    And I was trying to be helpful...BTW-@cazzy's out-laws just got a BGE for him to use on road trips...better to be lucky than good any day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    Pull it, cube it all, even the flat!! Apply a generous amount of Smack Yo Mamma!! and pour 4 bottles of KC Masterpiece. Toss back on the egg till it smells masterful! :-\" <:-P
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Let nature take it's course since you have time. You'll be glad you did. Each of those tissues will reward you if you let them find their proper place in their own sweet time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    cazzy said:
    Is that what Aaron  does?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy

cazzy said:

Is that what Aaron  does?

Yep!!!!!!!
  • DMW
    cazzy said:
    Love my in-laws like they were my own parents! Freaking blessed mang.
    @cazzy That's awesome. My MIL is no longer with us and my FIL is 93. I can only hope my kids have a few more year to visit before he passes. He lives in CA and we are in PA.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Ok...I finally weathered my 2 plateau brisket smoke. All areas of it finally ranged from 195 to 203. Below is the pic of the final product. Thanks to all for your support. Happy Easter!
    Naperville, IL
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Looks beautiful. Wish I had that right now!! Enjoy.
    Chester, MD