Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger Steak.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a pic or can tell me where this cut comes from?[p]Max,[p]I made the same mistake this year as last year. McGonigles sells thousand of fresh turkeys. Well it was hard to find a place to park. Once inside things got worse. 20-30 minute wait to the meat counter. I did look around but couldn't find anything. They did have some real nice looking beef tenderloins if you can believe that.
Went to my next source and he had never heard of it. It must be called something else in the midwest.[p]Thanks,
Mike [p]Oh I did buy some Lynx (sp) beef.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Here ya go....

[ul][li]Hanger Steak[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Thanks. I printed off and will take to the meat cutter Monday.
    Max, says they are great.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    FWIW I was intrigued with Hager Steak as well. Tried to cook it twice, and had it a very good restaurant once, and all three time was not impressed. I would take Tri tip any day over Hanger..... just my opinion

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Sometimes the caliber of the folks working behind the meat case really makes me giggle. There was an earlier post about a meat cutter who didn't know how to trim a slab of spares. Last month I was buying some huge shrimp (like 7 to a pound) and some Alaskan salmon. The clerk at the seafood counter cautioned me that these shrimp were not for grilling, only boiling, and she about fainted when I asked to smell the salmon before she wrapped it up. [p]There weren't any leftover shrimp, but I couldn't resist taking them in some smoked salmon.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FlatEric,[p]I love tri tip for ka-bobs. Thanks for reminding me how tasty those things can be. I marinate in a teryika/honey thing.[p]Mike
  • Car Wash Mike,[p]The hanger steak is considered the the "butcher's filet". One only per cow. Hard to find and very tastey. [p]Cook to 125 and pull(I know you are surprised). [p]It is great with just salt and pepper and EVOO, I'm sure cowlick would be great too...[p]Regards--Jeff

• Jeff Hughes,
    I do find that hard to beleive.
    Question though. Only 1 per cow? [p]I guess, I better start food saving and freezing for OK.[p]Mike