Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chunk-o-chest...thump in chest!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those who posted tips (and emailed me) on smoking and dehydrating brisket and peppers. I learned a lot, and will begin the process soon.[p]Just got back from the local Safeway grocery store. Asked the nice bucherette if the briskets in the shrink wrapped styrofoam trays had the fat trimmed. She said most of the fat is trimmed, but she would be happy to check and see what they had in the back. Got a gorgeous 6.3 pound whole brikset with a beautiful untrimmed fat cap. $2.98 /lb, thanks to the lack of demad in our area, but beautiful nevertheless.[p]Thinking of using the brisket rub that Elder Ward (mia) posted last December. His rub recipe is HEAVY on the cumin and chili powder, and would be great for brisket chili. [p]Also plan on using Gfw's idea of using another brisket for the 5 pounds of beef jerky I am makin for the trip.
Just had to post this...cuz my heart is thumping in anticipation!! [p]Cheers yall.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, I'm sure that you'll be posting pictures of your adventure! have a great trip.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Hopefully I will remember to break out the ol' Minolta SLR and snap a few shots on the snail film.[p]Just got done mixing up a bunch of Stubb's beef marinade, with added cumin, oregano, chipotle, and onion powder.
    Scored the fat in a 1/2 inch diamond pattern all the way to the meat, and vacuum sealed about a pint of the marinade along with sir chunk-ochest. I love those vacuum bags. Maybe Friday I will pull it out, shake off the excess marinade and coat heavily with Elders chili-like brisket rub and start the cook.[p]I will make the jerky next week. What would we do without briskets??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You east coasters and your brisket prices. Man, I about choke every time I see you post the price you pay for what is, by all accounts, a LOUSY chunk of meat. I can get good ribeyes on sale for less than what you pay for brisket. Oh well, you would probably choke at our "seafood" prices as well. Good shrimp, fresh, not frozen, are nearly impossible to come by and if you can get them, they are generally about 2-300 count, kinda like the little cocktail shrimp. Pathetic. Gotta go with what the locals can provide ya I guess.[p]Not to rub it in too hard NB but the last brisket I bought, actually I bought 3 of them, cost me a whopping $0.69/pound, about 11 pounds average weight. They have a nice fat cap on them too, about a quarter to half inch all across the brisket. Cryovac packed so I just tossed them in the freezer for later cooking.[p]Have a great trip. Take pictures and let us know how things come out with the egg food.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy,[p]After reading that, if I were you, that brisket wouldn't make it to the dehydrator. It would be carved up and on a plate with some sauce, homemade mac-n-cheese, corn bread, and washed down with some cold brews.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Jobu,
    I am sure I will be able to spare some fresh cooked chunk-o-chest for myself.
    When carving it up, I certainly don't have enough self-discipline to resist eating some o dat.
    Nothing smells quite like a good brisket.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Yeah. I agree we get reamed on the briskets. Not sure why they are so high here.
    Yet I disagree on your comment that a brisket is a LOUSY chunk of meat.
    Nothing tastes like a brisket. The beef flavor is incredible and unique.
    I would pay big bucks (just did) to get that flavor!![p]Thanks..I am looking forward to a great trip (maybe they will get some rain out there to chill the wildfires a bit).
    I have 25 rolls of film so I will have some shots. I will try to get one of me eating egged brisket chili.
    Will make sure there are wildflowers, an alpine lake, snowfields and jagged peaks in the background![p]BTW there are no campfires allowed...so the pizza on hearthstone idea is kaput. The whole west has fire restrictions now. Looks like we picked a great year![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I didn't mean to say that the brisket is a lousy chunk of meat when its COOKED, but one of those things has no real purpose other than to sit on a grill for 30 hours and cook to break it down. Ever try to cook a brisket for a couple of hours and then eat it? The darn thing will tear out your dental work. But I agree, put that thing on a grill for 30 hours and you have pure ambrosia. Sometimes the mind is thinking something completely different than the hands are typing. Something to be said for re-reading my posts before hitting that "submit" button.[p]Troy