Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4.5 Pound Bonless leg of Lamb

Options

It's what for dinner this Saturday, It's bundled in a net and I was thinking of opening it up and smearing is with a paste of rosemary, roasted garlic, Salt, Pepper and EVOO and rubbing it in all over and re tying, overnight in the fridge than cooking it indirect at 375 dome until 125/130 IT. First time cooking a boneless Leg of Lamb on my XL,

Does this sound about right?

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Sounds good.  If you went direct with all that olive oil (a paste makes it sound like there might be a lot of it), you'd have smoke and potential flaring when you opened the dome.  Indirect roasting it is a good call.

If it is just a little olive oil, then direct should be good too, and maybe a little quicker.  You also get some more well-done edges, for the heathens who like lamb well done, when you go direct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I would smear the paste on just an hour before cooking. Rosemary and garlic are formidable flavors. If you have folks who like it more well done than the others, I would cut the leg into the major muscles (should be three) and cook them separately to slightly different temps. If everyone likes it medium rare, retie it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Don't have any pictures of the cook. This was a 3.9 lb boneless leg of lamb from Costco I did last week at a demo. I butterflied it down so that it was no thicker than a couple of inches. EVOO, lots of crushed garlic, Dizzy Pig Mediterraenish and rosemary. Into the fridge overnight. Cooked it indirect until the internal temp was 150. Sliced thin, and piled onto nan bread with chopped onion and tzatziki sauce. First lamb I had ever done. It was dang good!
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    IT sounds like it was a winner..Well done.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Update, our guest list grew and I ended up having to buy a larger 6.76 pounder Boneless Leg of Lamb, it's been rubbed with roasted garlic, rosemary, EVOO Salt and Pepper run through the food pros. and pasted/rubbed on, wish me luck as my reputation is on the line.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Latest up date as I changed it up and decided to cook at 325/350 dome and this is one hour in and the IT is 68
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    103 at 2 hours and climbing
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    No more pics but I pulled it at 133/135 then rested for 15 minutes and my thermo pen said 135 when I sliced it, I wish I would have pulled at 120 as it was two done for me, Boo Hiss !