Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do I turn on the PartyQ?

Options
Please tell me the process for using the PartyQ. I used it once last summer but it didn't maintain the temp so I did something wrong. For a low and slow, do you get the Egg to temp and then put the PartyQ on? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I get the egg started and when I close the dome I attach the PartyQ probe. Once I get the temp stable manually I attach the PartyQ and set the temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have one, but I do have a DigiQ. I usually light the lump and then install the crutch. Then I close the dome and walk away til the VOCs burn off and it reaches temp.

It's probably faster to get the egg to temp manually and then install the crutch. But I'm in no hurry.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    Options
    The PartyQ has a smaller fan than the DigiQ. It might work to use it to bring to temp, not sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    DMW said:
    I get the egg started and when I close the dome I attach the PartyQ probe. Once I get the temp stable manually I attach the PartyQ and set the temp.
    yep
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    My problem with the partyq is that the temp probe will swing wildly. My maverick, partyq and dome temp are all pretty steady for a few hours then the pq temp will spike 20 to 40 degrees higher while the maverick and dome have stayed steady. Fan kicks on when it really shouldn't and the temp gets too high. Any advice?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Same problems as you and I gave mine to Travis. I see he can use it fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014
    Options

My problem with the partyq is that the temp probe will swing wildly. My maverick, partyq and dome temp are all pretty steady for a few hours then the pq temp will spike 20 to 40 degrees higher while the maverick and dome have stayed steady. Fan kicks on when it really shouldn't and the temp gets too high. Any advice?
    I don't have the partyQ, but do have the DigiQ and Auber and they're all pretty much he same PID controller with the same principals.  There are two crucial user-controllable configurations to make:

1. Probe placement.  You need an accurate temp reading.  Probe should be in the "shadow" of the indirect heat, not too close to the meat, with all parts of the solid tip in the shadow and the braided line also shadowed by the platesetter.  Keep this dry or it will go haywire.

2. Damper setting.  The damper on the fan needs to be set to slightly starve the fire (run a bit cooler/lower temp) if there's no power to it.  If it's open too much, can overshoot, especially if there's wind into the fan, if it's closed too much the fan will suck the batteries faster.

Other than that, make sure you have fresh batteries and good solid probe connections in the jack.  If you still have problems, you might be setting up the vent too early or there's some equipment problem, like the probe is flaky.

If I had one of those, I'd rig up a wall wart power supply to run it off AC and error on the lean side where the fan runs more.
    Thanks for the tips. The strange thing is that I can have the maverick and pq probe within a half inch of each other. They will hold identical temps for two hours then get off by 30degrees.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. The strange thing is that I can have the maverick and pq probe within a half inch of each other. They will hold identical temps for two hours then get off by 30degrees.
    That tells me most likely it's a bad probe, but could be low power making the controller go haywire, or a bad connection.  I'm assuming the partyQ is showing 30F lower than the maverick when this starts occurring.  And that you're sure the maverick is not the problem here.  You can dunk both probes in boiling water when this happens and sort that out quick.
    Options
    Sold my DigiQ, gave away my PartyQ, do not use my Mavericks. I learned to Turbo everything and use only my Thermapen. Life is easy now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I haven't used a stoker in about 8 months.  I do a low n slow/turbo hybrid.  Start off low, smoke, then power through the stall.  Works for me.
    Options
    I clip my probe to the stem of the dome thermo. Fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    2. Damper setting.  The damper on the fan needs to be set to slightly starve the fire (run a bit cooler/lower temp) if there's no power to it.  If it's open too much, can overshoot, especially if there's wind into the fan, if it's closed too much the fan will suck the batteries faster.
    I have a PartyQ but have not seen a damper setting on it. Am I missing something or is this feature only on other controllers?

I found that adjusting the daisy wheel is a good way to control draft through the controller when the fan isn't running. I try to aim for 1-2 pulses of the fan each minute after temp has settled in. If the daisy wheel is open too far, it will pull too much air through the fan and temp will rise out of control - and too tight will cause fan to run too much and wear batteries down. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That tells me most likely it's a bad probe, but could be low power making the controller go haywire, or a bad connection.  I'm assuming the partyQ is showing 30F lower than the maverick when this starts occurring.  And that you're sure the maverick is not the problem here.  You can dunk both probes in boiling water when this happens and sort that out quick.
    It tells me you worry too much :))

that's a lot of data to fret over for a 2 cubic foot space. I assume you are using the maverick to monitor the party Q but dang- I would throw them all away if I had to deal with that. Your Egg must look like a Big Green Bomb with all those wires coming out.

Use the force, Luke :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    Options
    twlangan said:

I have a PartyQ but have not seen a damper setting on it. Am I missing something or is this feature only on other controllers?

I found that adjusting the daisy wheel is a good way to control draft through the controller when the fan isn't running. I try to aim for 1-2 pulses of the fan each minute after temp has settled in. If the daisy wheel is open too far, it will pull too much air through the fan and temp will rise out of control - and too tight will cause fan to run too much and wear batteries down. 

PartyQ does not have a damper on the fan, the other larger ones do. And good advice on the DFMT settings.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    Options
    Definitely getting the temperature close to target before using the PartyQ is key. If you don't, the fan will run too much and wear the batteries out fast. I would almost recommend a fresh set of batteries for an overnight cook.