Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot and Fast Beef Ribs

I had planned on doing burgers and chicken legs today but I got a sudden craving for beef ribs this morning so I went and grabbed the best pair the store had.  Dang beef is expensive these days. 

Even picking through the offerings, the ribs were on the scrawny side (3.5 lbs each).  I rubbed them with a little soy sauce and then seasoned them with my normal beef rub (smoked salt, black and green peppercorns, dried minced garlic, dried bell pepper, dried minced onion, and oregano) that I finely ground.

I put them on the Egg indirect at 300°F with oak wood for the smoke.

I cooked them for 2 1/2 hours.  The shiners came popping through.

They may have been bony but they had meat between those bones.

Served with Stubbs on the side.  I want to hate that sauce but I love it on beef ribs. 

I didn't get as much of a smoke ring as I normally do when I go low and slow but they still tasted great.  There was a little more pull to the texture than usual but that isn't necessarily because of hot and fast, I should have just left them on for another 15 to 30 minutes. 

When it comes to brisket, I find my hot and fast is as good as low and slow.  But with these beef ribs, I think I prefer low and slow.   This hot and fast works but I get more smoke flavor and a more tender texture with low and slow beef ribs.  Maybe it's the short cook time for the ribs compared to brisket. 

Anyway, it was a day off of work and I got to smoke some ribs.  It was a good day!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Great cook!  Very very nice pictures!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great. Love beef ribs and these would do me just fine.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @NibbleMeThis‌
    First let me say great job sir they look excellent. Now to a point that you made. As far as not picking up the amount of smoke that your brisket does when cooking hot and fast is caused by to short of a dwell time in the smoker. There are a few ways to counter this. I will list one of them as it is the easiest. Buy a small heavy duty smoker box made for gas grills. Don't use chips as they are useless in my opinion. Chunks will have to be cut to fit as most will be to large. If you want more smoke this method will work flawlessly and is well worth the little extra effort. Simply place the chunk filled box in your lit coals when ready. We all have different taste but when it comes to beef ribs the best way to cook them is raised direct using the said smoker box. No braising no foiling just direct heat and smoke. Also I prefer beef ribs cooked more on the rare side. I do not worry about texture and feel with beef ribs. My only concern is the taste and they are far better in my opinion when cooked rare. They will have a steak like taste using the method I described above. Just remember if you try the smoker box to hand cut your chunks to the biggest size that you can and still fit the lid on. Don't waste your time money or effort fooling with chips as they are worthless for cooking purposes, however they do make a pretty decent oil absorbent for your shop floor in a pinch. Again your food looks great my friend. If you try my method I think you will like it because you can adjust to pick up as much smoke as you want. You can even over smoke if not careful. You get the benefit of a short cook time and plenty of smoke doing as described above. As always I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks SGH. I think we share a lot of the same beliefs which is refreshing on here. Lots of vulgar posts but I stay for posts like this where I can learn. I've always herd that ribs should be cooked for like 5 or 6 hours to be good. I've never made beef ribs (we do pork ribs here in Conway) but I would have ruined mine if I did them the way everyone else says. It does make sense that beef ribs should taste like stake so I'm going to try this you way. Thank YOU!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014

@nolaegghead‌
    What do you mean by persona?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Conway_Twitty‌
    Thanks for your kind words my friend. Glad I could help in some way. Just for the record Harold Loyd Jenkins aka Conway Twitty is still my all time favorite country music singer.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Conway_Twitty‌
    I agree I try to steer clear of them as well. I know a lot of people here dislike me here because of my beliefs but hey that's ok. At the end of the day all I try to do is pass on tried and true tips to people in need of help. I never say that some ones way is wrong or that my way is the only way. I just try to offer some thing that I know will work. I remember being a beginner all to well and it's easy to get frustrated and just give up if some one doesn't point you in the right direction. My hope was when I joined this forum that maybe I could offer some the help that was never offered to me when I first started cooking years ago. God bless my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    Sir I would like to point out that I read this forum long before I joined it. You were among a select few that I thought gave sound advice when it came to cooking. That being said I don't understand the statement you made about me. I have treated you and everyone on this forum with kindness and respect even when they weren't deserving of it. If you would explain what that meant as I see now it has been removed. If some how I have offended you I apologize. But I don't know how I could have when the only words I have ever spoken to you were do you prefer boiled or steamed crabs.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Conway_Twitty‌
    I got off course for a minute. I meant to say that no you would not have ruined them. I just prefer them cooked as I described above. As with most things there are many ways to get a good end result. I just like beef ribs to be more like steak on a stick as opposed to stew like. Some folks actually do prefer them the other way as that's how they were brought up eating them. I'm not one of them brother!

Status- Standing by.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    If you want meatier beef ribs try getting either Plate Ribs or Chuck Short ribs.  They cook slower than the back ribs you cooked (which looked great, by the way) since they are both tougher cuts of meat, but well worth the time.  Just don't have them cut up by your butcher.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    @Shiff - Yeah, I like the whole untrimmed plates when I can get them around here, I like them, nice and meaty.  I like the taste of the beef from back ribs better but the texture more from the plate ribs.  We have a new butcher in town so I need to give him a shot.

@SGH - You raise some good points.  I usually use chunks but only had hickory and mesquite, so I used the oak chips instead.  Sometimes I'll even use small split logs from the wood pile for my competition trailer if they are small enough, especially when I do briskets or butts.  I was thinking along your way, plus making sure the meat goes on cold and maybe even start the Egg off at 250°F for the first hour.   Thanks for the thoughts. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SGH
    As always you are more than welcome.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I would venture that an equal volume of chips will produce the same amount of smoke as chunks.  That said, it is easy for me to get Jack Daniels oak chips-chunks are another story.  So I use the chips.  Adapt and overcome...and as @SGH says many roads will get you there.  Great looking ribs!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH said:
    @Conway_Twitty‌ Thanks for your kind words my friend. Glad I could help in some way. Just for the record Harold Loyd Jenkins aka Conway Twitty is still my all time favorite country music singer.

You don't have to love the mans lifestyle to love the mans music. I still listen to him all the time. I grew up with it and it never left me. I love all country music but I love conway most.
  • SGH said:
    @nolaegghead‌ Sir I would like to point out that I read this forum long before I joined it. You were among a select few that I thought gave sound advice when it came to cooking. That being said I don't understand the statement you made about me. I have treated you and everyone on this forum with kindness and respect even when they weren't deserving of it. If you would explain what that meant as I see now it has been removed. If some how I have offended you I apologize. But I don't know how I could have when the only words I have ever spoken to you were do you prefer boiled or steamed crabs.

don't worry about him. He is one of them that posts all the junk. He is just trying to make you mad.
  • SGH
    He doesn't bother me. I just wanted him to explain what he meant. Wish you and yours a Happy Easter my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy

SGH said:

@nolaegghead‌
    Sir I would like to point out that I read this forum long before I joined it. You were among a select few that I thought gave sound advice when it came to cooking. That being said I don't understand the statement you made about me. I have treated you and everyone on this forum with kindness and respect even when they weren't deserving of it. If you would explain what that meant as I see now it has been removed. If some how I have offended you I apologize. But I don't know how I could have when the only words I have ever spoken to you were do you prefer boiled or steamed crabs.

don't worry about him. He is one of them that posts all the junk. He is just trying to make you mad.

@Conway_Twitty‌ Unlike you, @nolaegghead‌ contributes to this forum and doesn't hide behind a 2nd handle. Stop being a troll and preach the good path under your real handle.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    "I would venture that an equal volume of chips will produce the same amount of smoke as chunks.  That said, it is easy for me to get Jack Daniels oak chips-chunks are another story.  So I use the chips.  Adapt and overcome...and as @SGH says many roads will get you there"

I think the problem with chips is one of volume.  I have no problem throwing in 3-5 fist sized chunks but when I start putting chips in, I think I end up going shy compared to the volume of chips that would equate to to 3-5 chunks. 

But definitely agree - there is more than one way to skin a cat. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SGH
    Fellows it's about the mass that you can fit in the box. Chips are small and will off gas much faster than chunks. If you doubt this try it and see. I would not steer you wrong.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy

"I would venture that an equal volume of chips will produce the same
    amount of smoke as chunks.  That said, it is easy for me to get Jack
    Daniels oak chips-chunks are another story.  So I use the chips.  Adapt
    and overcome...and as @SGH says many roads will get you there"

I think the problem with chips is one of volume.  I have no problem throwing in 3-5 fist sized chunks but when I start putting chips in, I think I end up going shy compared to the volume of chips that would equate to to 3-5 chunks. 

But definitely agree - there is more than one way to skin a cat. 

I personally prefer chunks myself. I finally have a local source for oak chunks so I'm officially in Texas BBQ Heaven. :D
  • SGH
    @NibbleMeThis‌
    Sir you are incorrect about the equal volume. A equal weight would but not volume as chips are not as dense as chunks. Also even a equal weight of chips won't yield the same results due to the difference in mass and density. This is some thing I have played with for many many years. Trust me when I say for the method that I described chips are not worth a flip. Chunks are the way to go.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @SGH‌ ...please name one member that doesn't like you. I think that's a little off.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    edited April 2014
    No sir. I will not single any one out. Most of you are great and I'm honered to be among y'all.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Btw.. now I want beef ribs..what different types can I cook? Not sure what I can find.
  • SGH
    My method does pretty good with all beef ribs or so I think. So don't be picky about the cut.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you do need to do them hot and fast, here is a great way:

:P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @henapple-Don't know your sources but around here it seems I can always find  short ribs at the local Kroger and beef back ribs about 50% of the time at Kroger and always at the local butcher.  I prefer the short ribs.  The crown jewel is plate ribs but no luck for me.  And once you get into the beef ribs pork ribs will always be in second place-an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Amen to that. Beef ribs are far better than pork . I know that is saying a lot but it's the truth.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Well I went with prime rib instead. ..ha, on sale.