Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome performance!!

Options
I will have to say the BGE stands up to its reputation. I loaded my XL up with lump and apple sticks. Lit it last night at 6 are so and cook all night. Once the Boston butt was done this morning I was why stop!! So ran to the store, now laying on the grid is a rack of Ribs. So it will run 18 hrs in one load and bet it push 20+ cause there's plenty still in there.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Properly loaded and controlled you can easily get 20+ hours out of a large and extra large. Not so on the smaller units.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Catmandiesel
    Options
    I had my doubt but I'm a believer now.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Catmandiesel‌
    Please note that I said on a properly loaded and maintained large and extra large. The lesser eggs cannot approach these burn times. Some may argue different but this is fact. I have pulled off 23 hours at 215-220 degrees on my large.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Loaded to the top maybe a little above the fire ring with good lump, a good gasket, and my controller, I have gone over 36 hours with a sustained temp of 225. Only opening to take food off and re load with more food. Yes the BGE is amazing.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Dubya
    Dubya Posts: 8
    Options
    Ive gone 26 on my large @225.
  • Catmandiesel
    Options
    @michigan_jason‌ is a controller worth the money?
  • SGH
    Options
    @Catmandiesel‌
    I would like to add that the 23 hours was attained with a full load of meat and no controller was used. I don't own one.

Status- Standing by.

• Catmandiesel
    Options
    @SGH‌ it seem pretty easy to maintain the temp. Not sure the advantages of having one. I slept through the night I did wake up here and there just to check the temp and only got up once and closed the vents some. The temp had a few swings but nothing major.
  • SGH
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Once dialed in and up to temp I don't see the need for a controller for the egg as it is rock solid and maintains temps. On lesser equipment I could see the need.

Status- Standing by.

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    The controller adds a little piece of mind.  I started mine after Noon yesterday, stabilized it and put the brisket on at 1.  Then I hooked up the controller and monitored it for 15 or so and left with the family to go trap shooting until 5.  Came back and it was right at 238 where I set it.  So I took SWMBO out for dinner and shopping for Easter gifts and returned at 9:30 and it was still at 238.  I estimated the time left and set my alarm for 2:30ish and it was still at 238.  That's a largely unmonitored burn for 13 hours and I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of my lump left.

I only use the controller on the low and slow ones and I think it is worth it.  I've done a couple without it and it works fine just wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving like I did yesterday without it.
    XL Owner
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm doing a turbo butt right now and its only been on for 2 hours and 20 minutes and its at 114. I'm slowing it down a little, I don't need it tell 5. There is also 2 slabs of baby backs that went on about on hour ago. It smells wonderful in my back yard.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    SGH said:

Properly loaded and controlled you can easily get 20+ hours out of a large and extra large. Not so on the smaller units.

I can pull 31 hours off my medium no problem.
    Pentwater, MI
  • SGH
    Options
    @ShadowNick‌
    Sir I'm presuming that's a typo and you meant 13 not 31. If it's not a typo I sure would like to know your trick if you don't mind sharing it. Not that I doubt you but I can't approach that on my large. I have a custom made vault also that has double 1/4 inch steel walls with 2 inches of castable refractory poured between them thus creating a 2 1/2 in wall and even it won't approach the burn time that you can achieve. Again just trying to improve my cooking skills and would like your suggestions on how to achieve these kind of burn times. If you don't mind please post pictures of your charcoal arrangement as maybe I'm loading wrong. Again thanks in advance for any and all help on this. Not sure we're you are from but if we are close to each other I would love to see this in person if you are open to having a guest over. I will even bring a 23 pound brisket that should take close to 31 hours at 205 degrees free of charge my friend if you will demonstrate your technique for me. Again thanks and awaiting your advice.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ShadowNick‌
    Sir you have really raised my curiosity with your ability to achieve 31 hour plus cooking times on your medium at will. I'm hoping other medium owners will concur that this is normal for the medium to run this long on a single load without reloading. I am considering purchasing one if this is the case. I went back thru my cooking records after reading your post and to date the longest I have pulled of on my large is 28 hours and 15 minutes and that was under absolute perfect cooking conditions and hand picking and loading the fire box. Again this was under perfect circumstances not normal cooking conditions. If the medium is capable of this I'm sold my friend. It is my hope that if this is not the norm for the medium but a skill that you have acquired thru practice and experience that you will share it my friend as I am always looking to improve my abilities as they are very limited. If any one else has any insight on this or has achieved the same results on a medium please feel free to offer advice as well as I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @DMW @cazzy @RRP @Mickey‌ @travisstrick‌ @SenecaTheYounger‌ @hapster‌

Fellows I call on y'all as you are all big players on the forum and very accomplished cooks. Each of you are very respected by all and your opinions carry a lot of weight. Is the medium really capable of this or is he just messing with me? He has me considering buying one if he is correct in what he is saying. Thanks for you thoughts and opinions on this matter in advance. It just don't seem feasible to me but hey I'm usually wrong on such matters. Just wanted to hear what the pros had to say before I bought one. Again thanks for your guidance and input in advance. I just don't want to fall victim to a joke or typo.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger is a big player on this board? He issued a pretty epic intellectual beat down on Wilma's man, but he only has 139 posts. Now, his retired handle definitely was elite status.

I think that may have been your slip up...you're giving decent advice, but something just doesn't smell right. You're reborn too...my gut just keeps telling me and I'm not ignoring it anymore. Don't know what your motive or goal is, but something definitely smells fishy.

Post a cook. Hell, post a pic of your egg with all your other pits you continually reference and offer to loan out. I'm sure your wife would be happy to do it...she seems cool like that. I'd like to see proof of life and we'll talk about you buying a medium. I'm quite confident it won't happen but maybe you'll prove me wrong and I'll happily eat crow brother.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm doing a brisket on my XL . I checked it before bed 12:30 ish it was at 240. and then at 4:30. 10 hours into the cook. it was at 190. I moved the coals around some and opened up for a few minutes to get flowing again. Now all is good. Most times everything goes fine. Sometimes you have to adjust a little. It's part of the fun of it. I will someday own a stoker. But I'm in no hurry.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    I must confess. You finally figured me out. You are right that I am totally fake . I have never owned a egg or smoker of any kind. I have never even watched a bbq event on TV little lone cooked in one. I'm so depraved that I joined this forum and just sit here waiting for some one to ask a question then I try to make up a "decent" answer to appease them. My motive is to try and steer as many people as possible down the wrong road. I am selfish and do not like to see others succeed. I have gave bad and unsound advice from day one of joining this forum. I'm shocked that it has took this long for some one to finally figure me out. I applaud you. Well done indeed.
    I will give you one thing that you got right about me. You said I'm reborn and you are 100 percent correct in that statement. Just not in the context that you were referring. Not sure why you have turned on me but it doesn't matter. I will continue to offer what help I can to any and all that ask. No matter your opinion of me I would still like to wish you and your family a safe and happy Easter.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @cazzy I'm pretty sure he has posted a pic of his other cookers. I remember it being a beast. Don't know what makes you the forum police. Lets just say @SGH doesn't have an egg or other cookers, he's still one of the nicest people I have never met.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    Options
    @grege345‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend. Hey don't fret it I'm old and tuff and it takes a lot more than some one disliking me to rattle my cage. Cazzy is more than entitled to his opinion even if I don't understand his animosity toward me. But that is just the way of it some times. I get the feeling that he believes I'm a former forum member or such that he had trouble with. But I assure you I'm not. I'm exactly who I say I am. Again thanks for your kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    grege345 said:

@cazzy I'm pretty sure he has posted a pic of his other cookers. I remember it being a beast. Don't know what makes you the forum police. Lets just say @SGH doesn't have an egg or other cookers, he's still one of the nicest people I have never met.

I'm not the forum police...I agree 100% about that. You may be oblivious to it, but there is a crap ton of peeps using 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th handles...and its usually not for anything positive. Not the case with SGH, so he's definitely unique either way.

He posted a huge custom rig...looked pretty awesome. I agree, SGH is very nice and probably is what he appears to be. I've been egging all night so I'll just blame my paranoia on delirium. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    SGH said:
    @ShadowNick‌ Sir I'm presuming that's a typo and you meant 13 not 31. If it's not a typo I sure would like to know your trick if you don't mind sharing it. Not that I doubt you but I can't approach that on my large. I have a custom made vault also that has double 1/4 inch steel walls with 2 inches of castable refractory poured between them thus creating a 2 1/2 in wall and even it won't approach the burn time that you can achieve. Again just trying to improve my cooking skills and would like your suggestions on how to achieve these kind of burn times. If you don't mind please post pictures of your charcoal arrangement as maybe I'm loading wrong. Again thanks in advance for any and all help on this. Not sure we're you are from but if we are close to each other I would love to see this in person if you are open to having a guest over. I will even bring a 23 pound brisket that should take close to 31 hours at 205 degrees free of charge my friend if you will demonstrate your technique for me. Again thanks and awaiting your advice.
    I've gone 34 hours on a very stubborn whole shoulder. No lie.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    @Little Steven
    If you say it I believe it brother. I stand corrected on my previous post about the small units. Wish you and your family. Happy Easter.

Status- Standing by.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I've gone 18 hrs on a medium, I think with WGWW.. can't remember exact specs.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I put a brisket on about 11.00 last night. Just took this pic. It was running about 225* all night.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    @BYS1981‌
    That would have been more inline with what I was thinking for the medium.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Little Steven
    What size egg?

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @cazzy - being from the GWN, our chief constables/sheriffs are appointed, but if I could vote for one, you might just be it. 
    Folks with multiple handles.... say it ain't so. 

What you been cooking all night?

MBGE has stayed lit for 15 or so hours, still lump left but at my age I can't stay awake longer than 15 hours and Mom told me never to go to bed with a candle or fire burning. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Large. BTW the tobasco chips weren't on all night.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    I have never had an issue with lump but i ran out this am at 13hours in my large... Usually i can hold 20hours with lump left over.......I loaded it to the top of firebox and used spyder with round stone then AR for the butts. I opened it a total of 4 times throughout the cook and it never went about 235. I started a small part of lump and let guru get it to 230 and it held there for 30min before i added meat.. Not sure where i went wrong.. gasket maybe?
    Beaufort, SC