Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max---time per pound???

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do those of you who have done this have an accurate estimate of cooking time per pound? Seems like opening the egg every 20 minutes might add a lot to cooking time?
Thanks
Newbee egger

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rich,
    i still figure about 20 minutes per pound. ..i think things even out a little, cause while opening the dome to baste lets some heat out, it also allows oxygen to the fire so it tends to heat up down there a little each time as well. . .i notice that when i close the dome the temp climbs right back up to 325- 350 really quick. . .last year's 21 pounder took right under 7 hours. . ..

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I'm just doing a breast this year to take to New Orleans. I thought I might brine it. I would appreciate your suggestions on brining and cooking a breast.[p]Spring "White Meat" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    you obviously havent' been reading my stuff... .i've never brined anything in my life. ..so i'm the wrong guy to ask. .. otherwise, i see no reason why you couldn't 'mad max' just the breast. ...oughta be good. ...[p]for brining, ask someone like bobbyQ . .he is big on brining. ..[p]sorry for not being more help. ..[p]mad "working with a bird straight out of the wrapper" max

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, sorry about that. I got you confused with someone else. I had planned to use your recipe all along but then got cold feet thinking I should brine it first.

Havagoodun

Spring "Breast Man" Chicken
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks. Tried your recipe this weekend, great moist and tasty bird. Had noticed the temp spiked up around 360+ after opening and basting, but decided to quit worrying about it and trying to snuff it quickly.Also seemed to have prob. with my Maverick reading properly in the thigh (user placement error, no doubt) but i read the breat temp manually and took it off just in time, i think. I look forward to perfecting the technique thursday night.