Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid for my mini.

I picked up another grid for my mini to try a raised grid. It is raised 2 1/2" I know that's not very much but every little bit helps. I will try it out over the weekend to see how it does and I will post pics and do a follow up.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Cool. And the lid still closes? Watch the thermo too.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    Yes it closes, and I'm sure I will have to watch the thermometer. I hope it works I won't know until I try it out. I mainly wanted it for wings.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You can always take a bottle cork and drill a hole and put the thermometer through the hole and then into the egg if you need extra room.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    You can always take a bottle cork and drill a hole and put the thermometer through the hole and then into the egg if you need extra room.
    +1. 

Didn't the grid diameter change in the past year or so? I want to try the raised grid, but not sure if the new grid I get will fit. Did you have an old grid or did you buy it recently?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I think all the Mini's have enough slop room to take the 10" grid. BGE has gone up and down a couple times on the Mini.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Now why didn't I think of that?! I have two 8" CI grids. One is for searing steaks in my large... 

The other is collecting dust.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ospreydog
    I just bought the grid a few weeks ago but haven't got around to putting it together until today. It is a 10" grid and seems to have enough room to add a few things. I will cook some wings tomorrow to try it out.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a 9 1/2" diameter grid that came with the Egg a few years ago as my upper. Fit is pretty tight for the 2nd grid on top of a mini Woo.

@Ospreydog - do you have a Woo or a Platesetter for indirect? Or are you using 2 tiers for direct cooks only?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Ospreydog
    edited April 2014
    I am going to put two pieces of thin stainless flat bar under the fire ring with some small spacers on top of that and a 7 1/2" metal pizza pan on top of that for indirect. I have a woo but it's too high unless I lower the bolts a little more. Tomorrow will be the first try so I will post pics as I go. I'm not sure how it will work until I try it, but I have a bunch of wings to give it my best shot.
  • Ospreydog
    Here are pics of the components.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

I have the mini woo and like it very much and you can get it here, http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/small-a-mini-woo2.html

I like all of the creative engineering we eggers come up with!

G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    I want to try something like for my small, where did you buy the grid?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Ospreydog
    I bought it at Bob and Teds trophy shop they are a BGE dealer. I have a woo but the raised grid won't fit using it. I'm going to try this thing out with some wings about lunch time.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Ospreydog said:
    I bought it at Bob and Teds trophy shop they are a BGE dealer. I have a woo but the raised grid won't fit using it. I'm going to try this thing out with some wings about lunch time.
    Good luck I'm looking forward to your results. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    I have the raised grid and stone from CGS.
    Was just trying to get another level.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Ospreydog
    Update on the raised grid. It worked great, I was able to keep the temp at an even 350° and cook 17 wings, probably could have cooked a couple more. Here are a few pics.