Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best turbo butt process

Eggntexan
Eggntexan Posts: 11
I'm planning to cook a 7lb pork butt for Easter. Although a slow & low would probably turn out a better product, I'm looking to go turbo w/this one. Would anyone be able to share a good process for a quick fix?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Many different options/opinions... I do 325° straight through, no foil. Others do 350° straight though.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    325-350 straight through. Rub with Bad Byron's Butt Rub as you are getting the egg stabilized. Apple and cherry chunks are my go to for smoke.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggntexan
    How long does it take at 350 straight t
  • Mattman3969
    7lb should be around 4 1/2 - 5hrs depending on the butt

analyze adapt overcome

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing except I'm going to one to slice temp and one to pulled temp. I'm trying to decide to inject or or marinade in apple cider. I'm looking at 8-9 pounder. How much time do you think. I did an 8.4 lb turkey in 2 hours at 350 to 380, but the butt I know is more dense so it will take longer. I plan to put on around 9 or 10 am and should be done around 5 or 6 pm if at 350. Is that about right?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    My last 9 1/2 lb took right at 7hrs. Just keep in mind each hunk of meat will cook at its own pace. Plan to finish early cause you can alway FTC. You will be fine with those timelines

analyze adapt overcome

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Cool. Egging has been a lot of fun and one of the few things I can do with a bad hip. I wish I would have bought one of these years ago. Thanks for the help.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Eggntexan‌
    I would like to share a few thoughts and findings with you. First let me say that I'm pretty new to the turbo method so you may want to take other advice. That being said here goes. With butts 8lbs and less I have ran several at 375 with great success. I see no difference in the end result except for a shortened cooking time which is the goal that you are trying to achieve. For butts over 8lbs I find that 325-350 to be the better choice. Here are my thoughts on this. For one depending on the size of your egg the larger the cut of meat the closer it is to the ceramics increasing the amount of reflective heat picked up by the exterior of the meat. Next the size of the meat finally reaches a size that it can not transfer the heat to the internal section fast enough to get it done without over cooking the exterior at these high temps. As far as wrapping that is a personal choice. If you decide to wrap do it at the 160 mark. I have been cooking on the grid until 160 and then boating until done. I mostly do this to preserve some drippings to a add back to the meat after pulling. Which ever route you go I'm sure it will be great. Good luck and I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• What do you give up by doing it Turbo?  Clearly you get a faster cook with Turbo, but do you give up a good deal in terms of the finished product?  Haven't tried Turbo yet.
  • SGH
    Nothing. Some say the fat doesn't render as well but I disagree. Just my opinion.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @SpartanPride‌
    I should add that when I turbo I cook until the outside "breaks" or cracks on its own. I find that the internal is usually between 203-206 when this happens . If you follow this I assure all the internal fat will render. Again it's just how I like to do it.

Status- Standing by.

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I see no difference either way.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    I have done many Turbo Butts and it is the same a Low & Slow, you give up only TIME, last year at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest meet & greet I helped two other eggers turbo 16 butts and one Brisket. We started in the morning with all eggs and meat on and cooking by 9:00 am and had all of them done and in the coolers for the meet & greet by 4:30. We had bark, sweet juicy pork and an awesome brisket. We rubbed all with Bad Bryon's butt rub, temp on all of the eggs was 350-375 + - when internal hit 160 we pulled and wrapped in foil two layers and back on until internal 195-200 then in the coolers to stay nice and warm. Butts are very forgiving and I think hard to screw up. We had I think 5 eggs and 3-4 adjustable rigs & spiders/pizza stones for the indirect cook. It was a lot of fun cooking with the guys and when it was all over all of the pork and beef was gone so I guess they liked it!!! G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Note the drip pan, I used salt in the bottom (no liquid). image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    What city?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Mikey....really good feedback. Why salt in the drip pan?
  • @Mickey - Risking a dumb question, you still do it indirect right?  I don't see the platesetter on your pic but I was under the impression you still do indirect for turbo, just at a higher temp/lower time.  Is that incorrect?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    When I do these I foil at 160. This seems to help it cruise right through the stall. The temperature rise is also nearly linear with time after the foil, which helps a lot in predicting a finish time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    @Mickey - Risking a dumb question, you still do it indirect right?  I don't see the platesetter on your pic but I was under the impression you still do indirect for turbo, just at a higher temp/lower time.  Is that incorrect?

The pan makes it indirect. No need for a stone.

• Mickey
    UCFFAN said:
    Mikey....really good feedback. Why salt in the drip pan?

Noticed I don't get burning drippings with salt. And it's cheap

• Eggntexan
    Great tips! Can't wait to fire up the Easter egg tomorrow.
  • Eggntexan
    Mickey said:
    What city?
    Fort Worth

Mickey said:
    What city?

• Eggntexan
    It's a beautiful Easter Sunday in FW (for now). The pork has been on for an hour @ 350. The apple wood smells great & the IT is 74. Life is good!!
  • Eggntexan
    Yeah baby! Can't wait to start pulling. Thanks, to all, for the tips.