Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who said the Small won't hit nuke temps?

Loaded up the small with RW for a stir-fry,put 4 - 1/4 cube fire starter in lit it up and went inside to start prep work. Came back 15 mins later shut dome and left vents open and got sidetracked. 20 mins later this is what I saw. image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Not me...

I would think the smaller the vessel, the easier it would be to get nuke temps, esp with good airflow...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not me either! My small is my inferno machine with ease! BTW of all my eggs my small gets 60% or more of all my egging business!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That is the hottest I have had it and that was totally by accident. I remember a few threads about how hard it was to achieve high temps. Myth Busted!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Mine is one that has a hard time going that high.  I'm not sure why.  I have to watch my mini and XL because they will get up there with ease.  My small?  Not so much.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

I don't think my small has ever been over 650.  How high did you fill it?

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Not necessarily.

The small is more finicky with respect to hitting high temps. If you research the topic some folks have more difficulty than others, even seasoned eggheads. The small gets more persnickety if there is some ash in the bottom, but will easily get hot if starting with a cleaned out egg. And Rockwood does seem to burn hotter than other brands.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    @fred19flintstone - are you usin OEM grate or HighQue? I have used the HighQue from the get go on the small after seeing the difference it made with the large.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    R2Egg2Q said:

I don't think my small has ever been over 650.  How high did you fill it?

It was filled to the top of the firebox and 1/2 of that was leftover lump that I just stirred.

analyze adapt overcome

• @fred19flintstone - are you usin OEM grate or HighQue? I have used the HighQue from the get go on the small after seeing the difference it made with the large.
    That's what baffles me.  I use a HighQue grate and it is totally cleaned out after most uses.  That's because it gets the most work while away from home.  I clean it out to remove hot coals to cool it down quickly for transport.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't know who said that.
    @fred19flintstone - are you usin OEM grate or HighQue? I have used the HighQue from the get go on the small after seeing the difference it made with the large.

I use a cast iron floor grate that I got from a plumbing supply store for $6 about 12 years ago.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    I've noticed a huge difference getting up to temp if I leave the screen open and daisy off. The screen seemed to played the biggest part in that equation.

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I could clean mine out and fill it all the way and let it go for an hour wide open and I don't think mine ever made it to 700. Can see you have a fairly new one maybe they fixed the problem.
  • Mattman3969
    I bought it a year ago and it still had the old style felt gasket on it and it still has the wood handles. I figured it was at least a year or 2 old in inventory. I recently changed the gasket and adjusted dome. It is pretty airtight now.

analyze adapt overcome

• nolaegghead
    I don't see how a gasket replacement would make it get hotter, but awesome man.
    edited April 2014
    Gasket prolly didn't have a thing to do with the temp, just conversation Wouldn't a leaky gasket let more air in and help reach higher temps?

analyze adapt overcome

• nolaegghead
    Still awesome.  I'm just trying to hit 9000 posts.  So then I can get off the forum for a few months.  Like the seasons change.