Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raised grid for my mini.

I picked up another grid for my mini to try a raised grid. It is raised 2 1/2" I know that's not very much but every little bit helps. I will try it out over the weekend to see how it does and I will post pics and do a follow up.
image.jpg 166.1K
image.jpg 208.8K
·

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 2,501
    Cool. And the lid still closes? Watch the thermo too.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    ·
  • OspreydogOspreydog Posts: 90
    Yes it closes, and I'm sure I will have to watch the thermometer. I hope it works I won't know until I try it out. I mainly wanted it for wings.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,748
    You can always take a bottle cork and drill a hole and put the thermometer through the hole and then into the egg if you need extra room.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,978
    You can always take a bottle cork and drill a hole and put the thermometer through the hole and then into the egg if you need extra room.
    +1. 

Didn't the grid diameter change in the past year or so? I want to try the raised grid, but not sure if the new grid I get will fit. Did you have an old grid or did you buy it recently?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,791
    I think all the Mini's have enough slop room to take the 10" grid. BGE has gone up and down a couple times on the Mini.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,386
    Now why didn't I think of that?! I have two 8" CI grids. One is for searing steaks in my large... 

The other is collecting dust.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
    I just bought the grid a few weeks ago but haven't got around to putting it together until today. It is a 10" grid and seems to have enough room to add a few things. I will cook some wings tomorrow to try it out.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I have a 9 1/2" diameter grid that came with the Egg a few years ago as my upper. Fit is pretty tight for the 2nd grid on top of a mini Woo.

@Ospreydog - do you have a Woo or a Platesetter for indirect? Or are you using 2 tiers for direct cooks only?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
    edited April 2014
    I am going to put two pieces of thin stainless flat bar under the fire ring with some small spacers on top of that and a 7 1/2" metal pizza pan on top of that for indirect. I have a woo but it's too high unless I lower the bolts a little more. Tomorrow will be the first try so I will post pics as I go. I'm not sure how it will work until I try it, but I have a bunch of wings to give it my best shot.
    ·
    Here are pics of the components.
    image.jpg 1.9M
    image.jpg 1.6M
    ·
  • Gator_ManGator_Man Posts: 138

I have the mini woo and like it very much and you can get it here, http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/small-a-mini-woo2.html

I like all of the creative engineering we eggers come up with!

G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

·
  • otterotter Posts: 212
    I want to try something like for my small, where did you buy the grid?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
    ·
    I bought it at Bob and Teds trophy shop they are a BGE dealer. I have a woo but the raised grid won't fit using it. I'm going to try this thing out with some wings about lunch time.
    ·
  • Gator_ManGator_Man Posts: 138
    Ospreydog said:
    I bought it at Bob and Teds trophy shop they are a BGE dealer. I have a woo but the raised grid won't fit using it. I'm going to try this thing out with some wings about lunch time.
    Good luck I'm looking forward to your results. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

·
  • otterotter Posts: 212
    I have the raised grid and stone from CGS.
    Was just trying to get another level.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
    ·
    Update on the raised grid. It worked great, I was able to keep the temp at an even 350° and cook 17 wings, probably could have cooked a couple more. Here are a few pics.
    image.jpg 2.3M
    image.jpg 1.8M
    image.jpg 2.8M
    image.jpg 2.3M
    ·