Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Seared Sushi Grade Tuna Steaks -- Lotsa Pics

So my wife tells me yesterday that we haven't had fish in some time and even though she generally doesn't like fish, wanted me to cook some on the LBGE.  Since I love fish this was not a problem.  Picked up two sushi-grade Tuna steaks, some baby red potatoes and a yellow summer squash.  Sliced the potatoes and squash into 3/4 " slices, and hit them with salt, pepper and Dizzy Pig Tsunami spin.  The tuna steaks were dusted with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk.  LBGE was cruising at about 425 degrees direct, hit the potatoes and squash for about 12 minutes flipping twice, then the tuna steaks seared for about 90 seconds per side.  Absolutely incredible served with a combination of Hoffman House Tartar sauce seasoned with Emeril's pepper sauce.  Wife ate every bit of it and is now wanting fish regularly!  Sorry for the lousy I-phone pics, but you get the idea.  Thanks for looking!
242.JPG 1.9M
243.JPG 2M
246.JPG 2.1M
244.JPG 2.2M
249.JPG 2M
250.JPG 1.9M
255.JPG 1.5M
258.JPG 1.5M
260.JPG 2.1M
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,694
    Looks awesome! Nicely done... Jamaican Firewalk is good stuff
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,828
    I'm about to eat some poke because of this.
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,340
    Those look great!  I'm surprised the steaks weren't a little more pink still in the middle given the relatively short sear, but maybe that's the lighting?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,401
    Great lookin cook, I would tear that tuna up!!

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 793
    Sorry Charlie...this Tuna is too good to go in a can!!  Awesome cook!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,263
    wow, book marked. I haven't done fish enough, looks great. btw, where did you buy the sushi grade tuna?

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • OspreydogOspreydog Posts: 88
    I have never tried tuna steaks, but I will now. Looks amazing.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825
    Sushi grade really doesn't mean anything other than it was frozen below a certain temp for a certain amount of time to kill some parasites.  There's no official definition by the FDA.  Micro definitions in states and industries, yes.  The more important criteria, in my opinion, is first of all the species of the fish - bluefin, yellowfin, in that order are superior to many of the other species of tuna.  Good luck finding bluefin, and it you do it'll cost a fortune.  Then there's freshness and grade.  Buy from someone who knows what they're doing.  You get what you pay for - handling tuna wrong can ruin good tuna.

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,182
    Thanks @nolaegghead  . . . very informative.  Lots of poor "sushi grade" definitions out there.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,182
    I was always told "sushi grade" was super fresh, never frozen, wild caught . . blahahahahha
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • Looks great!
    NW Iowa
    ·
    NDG said:
    Thanks @nolaegghead  . . . very informative.  Lots of poor "sushi grade" definitions out there.
    NDG said:
    I was always told "sushi grade" was super fresh, never frozen, wild caught . . blahahahahha
    Any time.  There's more than one definition to "fresh" with fish.   Unfortunately, no standards set by the FDA.  And, even worse, the whole seafood industry lacks standards and oversight.   No wonder so many people hate seafood, bad seafood will do that.

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking cook. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 9,987
    I've got 4 "sushi grade" tuna steaks going to make for Saturday. Can't decide how I want to spice. Thinking just lite kosher salt and coarse peppercorn. But, recently saw this http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145144/seared-ahi-tuna-with-soy-ginger-dipping-sauce-credit-scott-leysath-and-hunt-fish-cook recipe. Guess I'll decide Saturday. Yours look great!
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 282
    Thanks everyone it was a quick easy cook and I could eat that all day long! Not sure why the market calls it "sushi grade" but they had two kinds available one was flash frozen and had a light pink color and was on sale for $7.99/lb. and the "sushi grade" had a dark red and almost black color on one side. Looked much richer and more appealing and was thawed on ice for $18.99 a pound. It was thawed and grill ready and it didn't disappoint, even at that price!
    ·
    The cheaper one may have been ahi, other one yellowfin.  Just seems to fit the price.

·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,340
    One suggestion for a good side with these: wasabi mashed potatoes. Killer.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • CP92CP92 Posts: 186
    Just in time for tuna season on the east coast.

And from what I've read it goes BFT, Big Eye tuna, then YFT. Huge BFT, 600+, took off VA Beach about two weeks ago. Just closed the trophy season down for the year.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Laurel, MD
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 282
    Sounds good JohnInCarolina! Mashed potatoes with wasabi powder or paste?
    ·