Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Source for Beef Rib Roast in Dallas?

I am going to try to make a Rib Roast for Easter...

Where can I get a Beef Rib Roast?

Should I leave the bones on, or take them off?  Going to be using the Nibble Me This process...

Any other thoughts?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Try Hirsch's in Plano. Just give them a call. (972) 633-5593 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Any grocery store will have one. If you want something more upscale, a butcher may have Prime grade, but they are all called "prime rib".

I do not understand the tying on of cut off bones. >shrug<

If you get bone-in, simply roast with the bones on, and cut them off when serving. You slice along the bone, cutting them off in one move. Then slice the roast as needed. Or you can serve one bone per slice, but that is usually too much for most guests.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Generally you can get them at any supermarket. I think bone on is a waste of effort and doesn't get the rub flavor all the way around the meat.  I'd cut them off and cook the bones separately as ribs.
    Pentwater, MI
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Plano is a hike!  I was wondering if the grocery stores normally carry them...

Thanks for all the other suggestions, off the bone it is!

d

Dallas, TX

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Around here most of the supermarkets have rib roasts on sale for Easter. Have you checked the ads?  I generally don't buy them with the bones, but sometimes those are the only ones on sale and the price difference makes it worth it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    If you are willing to have it without the bones (and, I'm not a believer in the bones adding anything except a post-roast opportunity at beef ribs), I would suggest Jimmy's Italian Market.  They sell only prime ribeyes and always have more in the back if a bigger cut is needed.  Tremendous quality as compared to Central Market, etc.  And, MUCH cheaper!  Usually only $20/lb. and on sale for less sometimes.  When they drop the price, I usually buy several whole roasts and ask them to trim them up and I cut them to size at home - steaks + roasts.  One of the best deals in town IMO.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Ended up going to Hirsch's in Plano...if I screw this meal up, I am going to be kicked out of my house.  That's the most expensive hunk of meat I have ever purchased. 

I am slowly learning that the Egg Purchase is the Down-payment, but the Monthly's is what empties the wallet.

@cssmd27 And I live 2 miles from Jimmy's...didn't even think about that.  CRAP!  Oh well.  

Here goes nothing!

Dallas, TX

• If you like it, consider buying a choice grade prime rib next time, and aging it (dry, ideally) a month or more. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Prime rib is a colloquial term for standing rib roast and does not imply the USDA grade is anything.
  • I know that. His mention of the price led me to think he may have actually purchased prime grade. If so, he could save a little money next time and might find that dry aging choice is better than fresh prime.

Around here, during tourist season there are a few restaurants with "Prime Rib Specials".  They serve what appears to be select beef, and are perfectly within their right to call it "Prime Rib".  "Prime" in this case does not refer to grading. 

In the future, I should probably pass all my comments through you first, so that we can skip the part where you correct me, even though I wasn't saying what you thought I was saying. 

Seneca Falls, NY

• On no...  [-O<
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I know that. His mention of the price led me to think he may have actually purchased prime grade. If so, he could save a little money next time and might find that dry aging choice is better than fresh prime.

Around here, during tourist season there are a few restaurants with "Prime Rib Specials".  They serve what appears to be select beef, and are perfectly within their right to call it "Prime Rib".  "Prime" in this case does not refer to grading. 

In the future, I should probably pass all my comments through you first, so that we can skip the part where you correct me, even though I wasn't saying what you thought I was saying. 
    Your sarcasm is so refreshing.  I don't think that's necessary in the future.

Seneca Falls, NY

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @SenecaTheYounger

Fine, but one last correction - I don't correct every post you make, and don't assume I'm directing any information I type to you unless I specifically make that clear.  No offense was meant, but was obviously taken. I apologize for that.
    Pedantic Man here.

He never mentioned price.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Damn just saw this post. Rudolph's down in Deep Ellum is awesome and you wouldn't of had to cross 635 and go into Oklahoma. You might have been able to get one at Central Market as well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cssmd27
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Damn just saw this post. Rudolph's down in Deep Ellum is awesome and you wouldn't of had to cross 635 and go into Oklahoma. You might have been able to get one at Central Market as well.

Jimmy's is far better than either of those IMHO.  It is truly prime GRADE (meant for the pedantic discussion by others), and cheaper.

@TheShaytoon -  I'm sure it will turn out well.  Good luck!  And, give Jimmy's a shot next time you need a prime (grade) ribeye steak or roast.
  • TUTTLE871
    @cssmd27‌ been to Jimmy's hundreds of times and I guess I never think of buying streaks or rib roasts. I know that The one rib roast I had bought at Rudolph's was prime and was a I credible piece of meat. I still like giving them my business because its a mom and pop shop like Jimmy's is as well. The butcher and I at Rudolph's have built up a great working relationship and I guess that's why I go. I show up he hands me a stick of homemade jerky and then lets me go behind the counter and scope out everything.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cssmd27
    TUTTLE871 I wasn't taking a shot at Rudoph's.  I've bought plenty of stuff from them, but I just think Jimmy's is tough to beat - especially when you take the price into consideration.  Ribeye is the only mainstream cut they sell and it's only prime.  If you want a different (bigger) size than in the window, they usually have plenty in the back.  Just ask them to trim it when they open it.  I only have one significantly better source and it's out of northern California and it's a LOT more expensive - like $55/lb + shipping.  That's special occasion stuff, though.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    TUTTLE871 said:

635 is not the border for Oklahoma. George Bush is and I'm just inside that boundary. I would have suggested Rudolph's or Hirsch's. Never would have thought of Jimmy's. Miss that place.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• You live in the beef cap[ital of the world and can't find a rib roast??    
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You live in the beef cap[ital of the world and can't find a rib roast??    
    I was thinking the same thing.  Can't you buy a rib roast at a gas station quickie mart in Texas???

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TUTTLE871
    You live in the beef cap[ital of the world and can't find a rib roast??    
    I was thinking the same thing.  Can't you buy a rib roast at a gas station quickie mart in Texas???

Only in Ft Worth and Amarillo.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    When I was in HS, there was place there on Greenville Ave. called the "Beer Barn Drive-Thru". You didn't even have to get out of your car to get a cold six-pack on Lone Star Longnecks!

Maybe a "Beef Barn Drive-Thru" would work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    When I was in HS, there was place there on Greenville Ave. called the "Beer Barn Drive-Thru". You didn't even have to get out of your call to get a cold six-pack on Lone Star Longnecks!

Funny thing that place was still there till about a year ago. They stopped having you drive through it though and put girls in skimpy bikinis out front and they would get your beer. On Friday afternoons in the summer there would be a traffic jam on Greenville. Damn city shut them down.

When something fun happens the city likes to take it away.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    When I was in HS, there was place there on Greenville Ave. called the "Beer Barn Drive-Thru". You didn't even have to get out of your call to get a cold six-pack on Lone Star Longnecks!

Funny thing that place was still there till about a year ago. They stopped having you drive through it though and put girls in skimpy bikinis out front and they would get your beer. On Friday afternoons in the summer there would be a traffic jam on Greenville. Damn city shut them down.

When something fun happens the city likes to take it away.
    LOL, never occurred to me that it was still there. Back in the day, we used to leave JJ Pearce HS around lunchtime (we had a study hall before lunch so we had 1 1/2hr.) and go to the drive-thru and pick up a 6 pack. We'd have it finished before we got back to school.
    I thought they were just laying around everywhere and you just go pick one up!
  • You live in the beef cap[ital of the world and can't find a rib roast??    
    I thought they were just laying around everywhere and you just go pick one up!
    You're thinking of armadillo; but, even then, you've usually got to get a little bit out of town for those.
    Caught me a Aramdillo a few weeks ago out at the lake, he wasn't too happy when I spun around and launched him out into the water. Crazy thing he sunk but little guy came walking out of the water up on the beach. I think he got the message and haven't seen him since. Little A$$ had been digging all sorts of holes in the yard.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• If you ever run over one on the highway (not with your tires) it'll sound like the whole underside of your car has been destroyed!