Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast: Ribs ON / Ribs OFF?

Options
I picked up an 8lb standing rib roast for Easter Dinner. I have never done one, but I am sure it will turn out well. I have researched different cooking methods and it seems like there are TONS of theories on whether or not to leave the ribs ON or cut them OFF. I'm looking for input...

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Last one I did, I cut them off; rolled and tied the roast, seasoned it, and the tied the tied roast back on to the ribs and cooked...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have tried it both ways and both will turn out good.  The advantage of bones off is the roast will cook more evenly.  The supposed advantage of the bones is they will add flavor, however many have disproved this.  In my personal experience I couldn't tell any improvement in flavor from the bones.  Another stated advantage is they "protect" the bottom of the roast.  This might be necessary if cooking direct, but if cooking indirect there is no real benefit.    Thus, my conclusion is to cook with the bones removed.  The bones make great beef ribs.  You could cook them along side the roast and serve them up for the carnivores at your gathering.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I did my last one with the bones off, ended up a nice medium rare throughout, with a nice flavorful crust. It will be a great meal either way. Happy Easter.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Bones on, it makes either an excellent cook's treat when you cut them off before serving, or it makes for giant servings if you give everybody a slice of a single rib each (too much, usually).
    It's totally up to you. I agree with smoky-pitt that the flavor of the meat itself is not different whether bone in or out.

If you like a browned exterior, you'll have less of it if you cut off the ribs after cooking, or if you tie them on and remove them after cooking.

It will be excellent either way. Do what is easiest for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Bill_Swerski
    Options
    I've always done bone-on and followed the 21 in NYC recipe.  amazing.