Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thursday Night Brisket, Bourbon, and....

Comments

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    I do like shrimp and I have never tried octapus but I just can't seem to get it passed my eyes. I am sure there is a lot of good stuff I am missing but being blind is not something I strive for :)
    Southern Indiana
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @hapster‌
    Quick question brother. You said that you use and recommend a iPhone 5. That being said I took your advice and I'm glad that I did as I have really enjoyed it to date. Also I presume that many people on this forum use a iPhone. My question is if most of us are using iPhones why are your pictures so superior to ours? Just curious what you do different. Thanks in advance.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like turtles.
    hapster said:
    12:50am... Egg is locked in on 250F on the dome, and I'm going to bed. See ya in the am!
    If you would can you post a pic of your vent set up which held the 250 F
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Wish I was workin in Chester county today. I'd be drivin around with my head out the window.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Morning update...

Walk out to this on my deck :)
    @johnmitchell‌

Few more hours and she should be good. Thermapened a few spots and the flat is in the 185-193 range. Not very tender yet; but this was a stiff and not very floppy brisket from the outset.

Still looks like brisket with my eggs at some point this morning.

imageimage
  • hapster

I like turtles.

I do too... They make the best soup.
  • hapster
    grege345 said:

Wish I was workin in Chester county today. I'd be drivin around with my head out the window.

:))
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Thanks for the set up...That Brisket looks Killer !!!!Enjoy
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • hapster

Thanks for the set up...That Brisket looks Killer !!!!Enjoy
    No problem... It dropped a few ticks over night but nothing drastic. I used the ash tool and banged on the underside of the grate from the lower vent door and that should do it...
  • hapster
    SGH said:
    @hapster‌ Quick question brother. You said that you use and recommend a iPhone 5. That being said I took your advice and I'm glad that I did as I have really enjoyed it to date. Also I presume that many people on this forum use a iPhone. My question is if most of us are using iPhones why are your pictures so superior to ours? Just curious what you do different. Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure there is a quick answer for this one... I've been shooting with film,  then digital point-n-shoots, DSLRs, and camera phones for many, many years. Along the way I've managed to half ass teach myself photo editing, in so much as they look good to me (always a subjective thing), I've become familiar and comfortable with different software and apps and how to use them to get the finished image I see in my head...

The best advice I can give is shoot, then shoot some more... find a few photo editing apps and play with them and your images. You will begin to develop your own style based on the look you like... There are plenty of "rules" dealing with composition, exposure, etc. While they are good to practice starting out to help develop your "eye", they are really more of a suggestion once you get going.

I don't know that my images are any more superior to anyone else here; as there are some really good shooters that happened to be eggheads as well; for example @cazzy @nolaegghead @mickey @henapple (depending on the number of PBRs) ;)

Keep shooting and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll start to get a feel for it and you should begin to notice how all of your images seem to have a similar look to them :)
  • So this is today's lunch? What's for dinner tonight?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    So this is today's lunch? What's for dinner tonight?
    LOL... hoping some tasty octopus salad and maybe some chicken breasts as well :)

• That octopus salad sounds pretty damn good!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Man, those are some sh!tty pics. ;) Sounds like you had a good time last night. and looks like you will be eating well today.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Almost forgot....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    hapster said:

@hapster

I trimmed so much fat off, I kinda folded the point end under itself to get it to fit...

I am about to execute the exact same cook. Temp and size-wise. I am interested in your cook times and how you trimmed it.

Did you trim the fat between the point and flat? If so, how much? I have a prime brisket so I think I am going to have a lot of intramuscular fat and don't need a lot on top. Plus, why did you fold the point and not the flat? I was going to use a rib rack but am intrigued by your choice.

Really appreciate the detail and the pics.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Also, you don't put anything in your drip pan, right?
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Hey Hap, nice cook.
    Is your vent door behind your screen?

Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • hapster
    @Beaumonty‌

I trimmed the hell out of it LOL... Took most of the fat cap off and just about all of the fat in between the flat and point, almost till they separated. I rubbed it with a 50/50 mix of sea salt and pepper, and put it on a stable 250F dome with several oak chunks mixed through the lump (did this when I set the egg up). Nothing in the drip pan, I almost never out anything in, don't think it adds anything.

Cook to temp and feel always before time, especially with briskets. This one took about 12 hours, but I pulled it off when the flat felt tender and my Thermapen was sliding in and out like butter. The temp on the flat was about 214...

Here is a pic of it in the foil pan before I covered it and set it in the cool oven to rest. The point and flat separated when I pulled it off... The top right pic is the point and the bottom right pic is the flat. Just a couple of little slices before I tucked it away for a few hours...

Now it's time to get the chicken, veggies, and octopi ready for cooking later :)

• hapster
    otter said:

Hey Hap, nice cook.

Is your vent door behind your screen?

Thanks... Yes it is.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited April 2014
    On the bandwagon! Not with bourbon, just a cup of coffee. Put on a Restaurant Depot angus briskie, lit the Egg at 4:15 am and put the briskie on at 5:15 am at 260 dome. Went back to bed with you know who for a while (you smell like smoke!). We're cruising along now, dome is holding steady without control at 268F and briskie IT is now 144F. See ya at the finish line!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2014
    SGH said:
    @hapster‌ Quick question brother. You said that you use and recommend a iPhone 5. That being said I took your advice and I'm glad that I did as I have really enjoyed it to date. Also I presume that many people on this forum use a iPhone. My question is if most of us are using iPhones why are your pictures so superior to ours? Just curious what you do different. Thanks in advance.

The first three things I learned: 1. Hold or make the camera steady (real steady) 2. Do not polk the shutter, just touch it (see rule number one). 3. Get close.. And most of all (so much easier with digital) shoot lots of pictures and toss bad ones before anyone sees them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Heck of a nice smoke ring there hap!  I almost never see them on my briskets.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • otter
    Please explain, did you re-install that way?
    Does it work better..?
    Pure Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice cook Hap, looks great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Dayum!  My butcher charges me $6.99/lb for brisket!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hapster
    otter said:

Does it work better..?
    My first base on this large was assembled this way. When I got the warranty base last summer for a crack, I did the door the same way. Not sure one way is better than the other.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    hapster said:

otter said:

Does it work better..?
    My first base on this large was assembled this way. When I got the warranty base last summer for a crack, I did the door the same way. Not sure one way is better than the other.
    I thought I noticed it behind the screen. I just didn't say anything. Lol. Great cook man. I getting a Brisket for this weekend too.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • otter
    10-4 Thanks
    Pure Michigan