Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Sauce for Ribs?

Options
Finger Lickin' Tom
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggers!!!
A friend returned from AZ with a gift of Grilling Sauce for me. Has anyone herd of the brand Frontera? The sauce is called Medium Hot Roasted Chipotle Pineapple. It says it is good on Chicken and Pork. I want to smoke a rack of pork ribs using this sauce. Should I mop it the day before then mop again during the smoke? Or, should I put a dry rub on first then mop it? I've had great success cooking ribs with "Cornfed" using only a dry rub with a drip pan and rack. Is the grilling sauce worth a try or is the traditional dry rub the best way to go?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset24.jpg
    <p />Finger Lickin' Tom,[p]Each to his own likes and dislikes. You can go dry rub, no dry rub, rub & mustard coat, or mustard no rub, or .... you get the idea. There is no right or wrong only different ways to do it. Even at 220 deg, the sugar in a sauce will burn. It takes a long time at 220 but a very short time at 275 so you should take it into account when cooking. If there is no sugar, like a vinegar based mopping sauce, you can add it all day long. Most around here either add sauce for the last 1 hour or less or they only use a dipping sauce at the table. I prefer both (sauceaholic)!! [p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]Wow! How did you prepare those beautiful ribs? That's a textbook illustration if ever I've seen one.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Tim M,[p]That's a damn good lookin' batch of ribs and inspiration for my next pizza.[p]K~G

• Finger Lickin' Tom
    Options
    Tim M,
    Those ribs look FINGER LICKIN' GOOD !!! I'll probebly try a dry rub for 6 hours then coat them with the spicy grilling sauce (which is vinegar based) overnight, then try the mop during the last hour. I'll post my results.
    FLT

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tim M,
    Those ribs look to good to eat,great job on the ribs and picture.
    YB

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Jobu,[p]Thanks - my wife was involved (that's the main reason it wasn't next to the sink like all "my" pictures) and she had guests. That, sir, is the GFW 3-1-1.5 method. Its under ribs- Foil Wrapped Tender. Its a little more work but good results. I also started adding a sugar sauce 1 hr before the end and I never rasied the temp from 250. Add a couple sausages and peppers and ............ [p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Those are "logo-quality" ribs. By that I mean those things are beautiful enough to put on the logo for the next fest (E2K+1, 2, Eggtoberfest, etc) similar to that glorious picture of steaks NB posts sometimes. If I wasn't already seeing someone, I'd marry them.[p]Cornfed