Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your favorite BBQ sauce recipe?

Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm serving up some BBQ for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner. I'd like a suggestion and recipe for your favorite sauce. I'll be using it on pulled pork. Thanks.

Comments

• Borders,[p]The one I get the most rav's about is the "Struttin' Sauce" recipe from the cookbook Smoke and Spice. Great cookbook all around![p]Todd
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Borders,[p]I'm into bastin', moppin', soppin' and dippin', and only serve sauces at the table, so my viewpoint may be skewed. For a good old fashioned pig pickin', I like the Carolina table sauces because they are lighter and way thinner than most others, so they don't hide the flavor that you spent 18 hours developing. Plus a little goes a long way. Here are three of many. Adjust the amounts as necessary. Whatever you decide, have several kinds on hand.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]Eastern Carolina:[p]Dennis Rogers Version
    (Rogers is a popular columnist for the Raleigh News & Observer and self-proclaimed "Oracle of the Holy Grub".)
    1 gallon cider vinegar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoon red pepper
    3 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar or 1/2 cup molasses
    Preparation: Mix them up together and let stand 4 hours.[p]Another Eastern sopping sauce that is not as sweet:
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon peppercorns
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 cup water
    Preparation: Combine in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for an hour. Strain to remove the peppercorns if you like.[p]Western Carolina (with ketchup)[p]Lexington Barbecue Dip #1
    1 gallon water
    1 qt. ketchup
    1 qt. vinegar (amber 4% acidity)
    10 oz sugar
    8 oz salt
    4 oz black pepper
    4 oz crushed red pepper
    Pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
    Preparation: Combine all ingredients into a 1.5 gallon stock pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Spoon the piping hot dip onto the prepared meat just prior to serving.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Borders
    Smoke and Beers, Thanks, I have the book and agree, it's top notch.

• Borders
    thirdeye, thanks for the recipes and comments.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Borders,[p]Bone Suckin Sauce - hot.[p]Jethro
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Borders,
    This is what I use for pulled pork. -RP
    Mop[p]½ gal vinegar
    1 qt water
    3 T black pepper
    3 T salt
    3 T sugar
    ½ T hot sauce
    ½ stick butter[p]Bring to a boil.[p]Sauce[p]1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup[p]Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.

• Hey Borders, you really need to give this one a go. Don't mess with the recipie - it is perfect. If you like it hot (now I'll contradict myself) split the batch near the end and add several tablespoons (I used two) to one of the halves and simmer some more. Great stuff!!! Joe

• Borders
    Smokin Joe, I'm all ears bro. But, you failed to post the recipe. Thanks

• Borders,Mr Beal's "J.K's Wild Boar Seattle Soul Sauce" is very good. It is detailed in Bill Wise's first BGE recipe collection. It is on the Whiz web site and I have seen several Eggers (RPP ??? maybe)recommend it so it is not just one(myself) that recommends trying it....Good stuff.I am about out....Have a great T'Giving!

• Borders
    tn slagamater, you too slagman!