Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware's LED Light for the Egg?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I got an email from Eggware showcasing their products.  One that interested me is the LED light that hangs on the handle of the egg.  It is $28.  Has anyone bought one?  It looks like a decent product but was wondering if it is working out for you.  Thanks in advance.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I know people have modified a weber grill light to do effectively the same thing. That only has 3 led's though. Seems to work well.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    link to that......?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The light they are using looks suspiciously like this one:

My dad gave me 3-4 of those lights when they went on sale at HF.  (Like instead of $3.50 they were $2).  I actually use it as is and just hang it from the egg handle using the little hook. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I have the weber light kindly linked by @Eggcelsior.  It will fit the older (narrow handle) LBGE and does a good job of illuminating.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

My dad gave me 3-4 of those lights when they went on sale at HF.  (Like instead of $3.50 they were $2).  I actually use it as is and just hang it from the egg handle using the little hook. 

+1 on the HR lights. The batteries cost more than the light!
    Works very well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I have the weber light kindly linked by @Eggcelsior.  It will fit the older (narrow handle) LBGE and does a good job of illuminating.  FWIW-

Do you know if it'll fit the new one?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have one. Works great. Super bright and seems to be built very well.
    It does "look" a lot like the cheap Harbor Freight one. 
    What I do like...
    Very bright
    Seems well made
    Like that it can be taken easily off the bracket
    Magnet and hook also nice.

Don't like...
    $30 is a bit high
    Only "one" on-off power button for both lights. Press button once and the main lights turn on, press again and main lights go off, press again and side light goes on, press again and side light goes off. Would rather have separate with for each.
    The older Weber grill light that I have has a built in level switch and turns the light on and off as you open or close the grill...Very nice feature.

just my views
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Jeremiah-The new BGE handle is too wide for the weber light bracket to fit.  You may be able to modify it but if you have a local weber dealer they will probably have the light so you could get an idea of what it would take.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    +1 on the Weber light.  Works great!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

I have used this one and strapped it to the handle of my Large, after a few weeks the face of the light melted and eventually quite working but for 5 bucks it was no big deal to me.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    more LEDs != better
    Options
    I went to my local Harbor Freight yesterday and they had the $3.49 LED light that was mentioned above.  When I checked out many people were getting them for free using a coupon that was mailed to them. I asked if I could get the coupon in the store and was told the store doesn't have them (I had already checked the flyer that was at the door).  $3.49 is still cheap for this light, so I didn't mind.  I haven't tried it with my egg yet, but the price was too good to pass up.  It even comes with 3 AAA batteries already installed.

I signed up for their mailed flyers in case something good like this is sent out again.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dubya
    Dubya Posts: 8
    Options
    Harbor freight sends free stuff monthly every flyer has free items.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Buyer beware with HF stuff. You get what you pay for. One exception that I've found is their 3hp dust collector. For all of you woodworkers out there, this machine is the real deal. Side by side to a Rikon, it's the same machine.
    Mark Annville, PA