Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lol OT: Fresh Dairy Milk

Options
I'm hooked! Got my first jar last week. Very rich and creamy. I was a little hesitant since it wasn't homogenized and looked funny. But just shake it up before you get a glass! About the same price as the ultr pasteurized organic milk at Kroger. I'm super jealous your getting a milk man @Eggcelsior‌

XLBGE 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice! I'll be signing up the weekend after next for mine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Now that you have a source may I suggest making your own mozzarella cheese?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Where I grew up in south asia, they bring the cows and goats to your house and squeeze on the spot, can't get fresher than that unless you suck!  :))
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

Where I grew up in south asia, they bring the cows and goats to your house and squeeze on the spot, can't get fresher than that unless you suck!  :))

Any idea where to get that in the GTA Gary?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    just checked and my local dairy is selling that type of milk again
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We used to get deliveries directly from the local dairy when I was growing up.  He would come by once a week and place milk/eggs in a metal box placed outside the back door.  Bottle even had the foil cap on top.  Man I miss those days (except the one where he backed over my dog when leaving).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @RRP I've made mozzarella a number of times with the aid of a microwave.  The lower the pasteurization temp, the better the milk is for cheese making.  I don't know if it matters if it's homogenized or not, a good thing I suppose if you're making low fat cheese.
    Options
    We used to get deliveries directly from the local dairy when I was growing up.  He would come by once a week and place milk/eggs in a metal box placed outside the back door.  Bottle even had the foil cap on top.  Man I miss those days (except the one where he backed over my dog when leaving).
    Ouch. Otherwise, cool. Mine requires a cooler to put the milk into to prevent spoilage. I "accidentally" signed up for service when logging into their website and they showed up a few days later but refused delivery. I have spent almost a year looking for a cooler until I received the Pelican 65qt on Monday. I now have to go directly to the farm to sign up now but it's an excuse to get ice cream.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    @RRP I've made mozzarella a number of times with the aid of a microwave.  The lower the pasteurization temp, the better the milk is for cheese making.  I don't know if it matters if it's homogenized or not, a good thing I suppose if you're making low fat cheese.
    The 30 minute recipe I follow uses both a stove and a microwave. I just know you don't want to use ultra pasteurized milk, but non-homogized shouldn't be an issue - seems like that would just be that much easier to separate the solids from the whey.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's the same process I use.   The fat ends up in the globular whey (solids) homogenized or not, I found out after a little reasearch.  Homogenization actually does a little damage to the milk so it's slightly better it's if not homogenized.  And the cream can be skimmed for low fat cheese. 

The most important cheese making trait is that the cheese is pasteurized at a low temp, in the 160-170F range.  Anything higher than 170 and below 190 it's not ideal, esp for mozz.  Anything in the 190-210 range is ultra pasteurized and should not be used for cheese.

Local milk (grocery or other) goes to market faster and is less likely to have higher pasteurization temps because the longer shelf life isn't needed for transportation.  But not always the case.
    Options
    I love raw milk. I rarely drink milk but when I do that is all I will drink. Straight from the cow basically. 
    Boom
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Nope, try Caledon or Mt. Elgin  ;)
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Nope, try Caledon or Mt. Elgin  ;)
    @Canugghead, I found this place. They sell through a couple of stores up in Newmarket. I think I'll give it a try.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I never drink milk but at the beginning of the year I started drinking raw milk from Sprouts and wow I can't believe I've never tried this stuff before! It taste great and makes for a quick easy breakfast. I don't think there's a dairy near me where I can get some super fresh.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hell yeah..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    =))
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @rrp could you post your mozzarella recipe. I have access to low pasteurized non homogenized milk and would love to try and make my own mozz for a pizza. Thanks.

Ps anyone in the annapolis md area my dairy farmer goes to the market at annapolis mall on Sundays. His milk is great a long with yogurt and butter.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Firemanyz

You'll need citric acid, salt and rennet.  And milk.

http://www.simplebites.net/the-best-party-trick-ever-how-to-make-thirty-minute-mozzarella/

I find the whole milk version gets a weird crust on pizza (the way I do it), but only tried that once, recommend using 2%.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌

Can you freeze this? How long does it keep? Looks very fun.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Can you freeze this? How long does it keep? Looks very fun.
    It freezes fine.  Most cheeses freeze well, especially if you're going to use them for cooking.  Think frozen pizza....

That said, cheese, depending on the type, is a way to extend the shelf life of milk, and mozz (with low water content) has a good shelf life.  The fresh stuff in brine, not so long.
    Options
    How about breast milk?? I've got a few gallons.

How about it @eggcelsior !?

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If the milk isn't from a breast, I think the wrong anatomical part is being used.... ;)
    Options
    If I have any leftover after the youngest weans off, I'll have to see. Otherwise I'd feel like I am stealing. Spilling breastmilk feels like a war crime - this is totally self imposed.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

If I have any leftover after the youngest weans off, I'll have to see. Otherwise I'd feel like I am stealing. Spilling breastmilk feels like a war crime - this is totally self imposed.

We try not to waste a drop!! [-X

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Just made another milk run. And also they have some wild meat selections!!!

XLBGE 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's some damn good looking beef.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Just learned about a place this week that will deliver fresh organic milk, cage free eggs, and local organic beef. Order online and it shows up at the doorstep. We also belong to a veggie CSA. Fresh local organic veggies picked up once per week at a location 3 minutes from home. Love it!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    If the milk isn't from a breast, I think the wrong anatomical part is being used.... ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    next it'll be "pictures or it didn't happen"...
    Good lord this place has gone berserk. Sign me up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX