Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince me to buy another Egg

Comments

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Buy XL, sell Large, Buy Mini-Max.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    @ElCapitan
    Basically side dishes and vegtables , plus having one egg going low and slow and the other cooking lunch or dinner .

Our egg has pretty much replaced our oven and there have been a few times we wished we had more space and the ability to coook something else at a diffrent temp .

I guess I know that we need another egg in our house . I ma just trying to figure out if its the XL or the large .

Toronto
  • pantsypants
    I dont think i would ever sell my large .
    I love it
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Unless you have lots of different grids that fit the large I don't know if sharing accessories really matters that much.  If you have an AR, you can only use it in one egg at a time anyway; so you still need something for an indirect setup in the second egg.  

That being said I think 2 larges would be awesome and you could cook up a ton of food.  There are going to be times where the XL will have an advantage.  For example, if you need to cook 5-6 butts you can do this easily on a single XL and not have to mess with firing up 2 eggs. 

If the price is not that much different, I would lean toward the XL.  If you find that are not using both eggs often perhaps you could sell your large in the future.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Don't we all need a 2nd Egg??
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bwhahaha! Do it! Do it! image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • If you have the money, and would like another egg, then buy it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Orthobear
    Orthobear Posts: 84
    I'd say go with the XL. It's just nice to have the extra space when needed.
    Houston, TX
  • Buy the XL and then a Small for just the two of you durning the week!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• pantsypants
    I think the large is fine to use during the week .
    Toronto
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have an XL and it is only for two of us.  I can't imagine giving up the space that it has.  Dong multiple racks of ribs and a whole packer on one level is a piece of cake.  I would not give it up.

I bought a small egg earlier this year but have not used it much.  I am actually thinking about selling it as a result.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Well I'm going to stir the T&$# here! I say get the XL and not two larges because sharing the accessories works only if you don't need it in each of the LGs at the same time. I use my adjustable rig all the time in my LG and don't have another for my other LG! Wish I had another A Rig for my other egg. Lets face it having an Egg is awesome and having accessories is a must also so get the XL and what ever extra goodies you want. I have 2 lg, 1 med, 1 small and a mini and if I ever find a good deal on an XL I will but it. So in summery just get on the phone and order the XL. =D>

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I bought an XL as my first Egg for the 2 of us and would not want to give up the space for when the family gets together.  I have since bought a medium but use it when two temperature ranges are needed.  Do most protein cooks on the XL and Food Saver extra for work lunches.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Uh because two is better than one?  Duh!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• pantsypants
    So what I am hearing here is that I should get one as it is the smarter thing to do .
    Also it will make me more of a man.

Toronto
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have an XL and a Medium which is perfect for my situation.  If I could only have one it would be the XL. I love the extra real estate.   I have heard that 2 large is a pretty awesome set up as well.  When people state that you can use the eggcessories from the large on both if you get 2 large, remember that the same eggcessories can't be used at the same time.  Therefore if you wanted to do 2 raised grids at the same time you'd need 2 AR's, 2 pizzas would still require 2 stones etc.  You can't go wrong either way.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm pretty sure having two eggs will also greatly reduce your chances of heart disease and lower your cholesterol. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pantsypants
    I'm pretty sure having two eggs will also greatly reduce your chances of heart disease and lower your cholesterol. 
    Way to kill the party !!
    Toronto
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    We are a family of 2 and I don't know how I could cook with just a large.
  • pantsypants
    That's what I wanted to hear .
    I feel like I am being excessive with the desire for an xl as well just being 2 people
    But I always want more space
    Toronto
  • Dubya
    Dubya Posts: 8
    I have a XL, Large, mini and am about to grab a small.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @pantsypants - nothing like peer pressure when it comes to your wallet.

I say go for it and get the big mamma!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Personally, I went the other direction and bought a medium to go with my large.  My kids are college-age and rarely around.  I seem to use the medium more for weekday cooks.  I've found I go through a lot less lump.

The medium is a good companion to the large when cooking for a big group.  I'm doing a 1/2 ham and turkey for Easter dinner.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    edited April 2014
    We have a larger family than you but don't entertain as much, so our cook sizes should even out.

Couple of years ago I had 1 XL, 2 L and 1 S.  Sold the under used Small first ... then found myself using the XL more often than the 2 L combined, so I sold a L two weeks ago.   If I can have only 1 egg, it'll be the XL.

As for accessories, I have a Large AR, grid extender that can be used on either, XL lump reducer, a bunch of extra grids and nuts/bolts.  The Large AR can be used in the XL too.

Also, will your family size increase few years down the road?
    canuckland
  • I am in the get a second large camp as that is exactly our situation.  There are only two of us and we have two larges.  I bought the second large thinking that interchangeable accessories was good.  However, for the most part, one of my larges is set up for indirect cooks while the other is for direct cooks.  Of course, it is great having the flexibility whenever we are entertaining and need the extra space or for those occasions that I need to do both a direct and an indirect cook at the same time.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't get a second large. I had 2 larges and an XL and sold a large as well and would sell the other before the XL. Also for smaller cooks you might want to consider a mini max or mini. This forum is never short on ideas on how to spend money.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I'd love to have another large for different temps and styles of cooks, but you can most definitely fit two briskets in one. I've done it a few times. Delicious.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• pantsypants
    OK OK I WILL GET THE XL .

Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    A fine young man such as you deserves the XXL. That's what I'm talking about. Tell Karen I said it was ok.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    Thanks Steven !!
    also do you have a spare couch i can stay on for a few nights until this blows over ?

Toronto