Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

20 pound butt for my wife's birthday

Tomorrow is swmbo's birthday. We are having some friends over. My neighbour brought me this nice butt! I trimmed it up, injected it with dp and apple juice, mustard binder and rub. Going on at 8pm, 225 dinner at 5 tomorrow!
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
image.jpg 513.8K
image.jpg 752.9K
image.jpg 716.1K

Comments

• Dinner at 5pm. Great- just need the address.
    Happy birthday to her.
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 806
    Someone has to say it.  Your neighbor has a big butt!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,075
    Awesome- that will be a fun cook.  Happy birthday to your wife.  

FYI- pretty sure that is a whole pork shoulder (the butt and the picnic).   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GlennMGlennM Posts: 411
    Yup, whole shoulder. Should be great!
  • 225 for a 20 pound butt, that will take like a work week to finish cooking. What Fun!
    NW Iowa
  • wpendleggwpendlegg Posts: 139
    I like your wife's big butt, Glenn!

Had to say it.. it was the low-hanging BBQ joke.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • I would rub your wife's butt!! 

Do you guys think 18-20 hours should do it? I can raise the temp at noon if it's not close? I have done several 10 pounders and they usually finish in 18 hrs
  • It's hard to say. I always cook by temp and not time. 

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,671

It's hard to say. I always cook by temp and not time. 

New handle...? Where's the dot.com?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    edited April 2014
    Based on the shape I'm not sure it will take that much longer than say a 10 lb butt.    

This is stolen from the amazingribs site discussing times of rib roasts.  The shoulder is similar- it is basically a big tube.  Once the width is >= the height the cooking time may not vary increase based on weight (or not as much).    

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think it is going to take double the time of a 10 lb butt. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple said:
    Tired of all the sh*t talk. I think some people spend more time on here than they do actually cooking on their Eggs.

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,862
    edited April 2014
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,862
    image.jpg 88K
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,671
    At least it could have been incognito. I wouldn't change mine to hinaple...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,335
    henapple said:
    Tired of all the sh*t talk. I think some people spend more time on here than they do actually cooking on their Eggs.
    Don't be weak man!  It was just a lil ribbing for you trying to force feed your blog down our throats.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    Ok...this got a little side tracked.  I'm curious what people think.  20 lb shoulder...how long will it take?  

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,335

Ok...this got a little side tracked.  I'm curious what people think.  20 lb shoulder...how long will it take?  

At 225...shoot. Maybe 16 hours. I'd roll at 250

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    7 am. I can raise it later if necessary.
    image.jpg 501.9K
    image.jpg 661.1K
    I shouldn't touch my controllers after handling lump!
  • Seems liek 
    GlennM said:
    7 am. I can raise it later if necessary.
    Looks good. I wouldn't change it. 

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,377
    Based on the shape I'm not sure it will take that much longer than say a 10 lb butt.    

This is stolen from the amazingribs site discussing times of rib roasts.  The shoulder is similar- it is basically a big tube.  Once the width is >= the height the cooking time may not vary increase based on weight (or not as much).    

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think it is going to take double the time of a 10 lb butt. 
    Damn, I've been trying to explain that for ten years. Wish I had that cause I hate typing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON