Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the egg (My newest method)

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    If you use Rockwood lump you don't have to wait an hour. In 10 minutes you are ready. Each to his own I guess, but I had rather do it quick than not do it at all. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Weed torch from Harbor Freight!  Electricity not required and lights quickly. 

http://youtu.be/E5k-u8lP2eA

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E5k-u8lP2eA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JeffCowley
    Options
    I use small weed burner -- the kind that attaches to a small camping propane tank, rather than to the big grill size.  I can get a few spots hot enough to start the whole firebox in about two minutes.  The neighbors would think I'm unbalanced, except I let them try almost everything that I cook.  
    Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida
  • gojojo1013
    Options
    What heat gun did you purchase?
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    I am a personal fan of the weed torch - fast and portable.

Alternate uses:
    Melting ice off of sidewalk in a hurry.
    Burning tent worms off of tree
    Eliminating weeds
    Acting out WW2 flamethrower scenarios
    Running down people with it as I am dressed as the devil during Halloween

XL BGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It is fun to stand on your back porch with the torch blowing at full torch... In your skives and flip flops... Neighbors don't seem to mind either.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    @gojojo1013 - johnkitchens posted the link earlier in this thread.  He purchased one made by Porter Cable off amazon.com.  It was about $35.00.  I am going to order one new and give it a try, too.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I bought a heat gun for less than $20 from Ace 2-3 years ago.  I abuse then thing.  I often forget it outside on my table etc..... just keep slowing super hot air.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Personally, it has never taken me an hour for the egg to reach temperature and burn cleanly, especially with reused lump, but even with a load of brand new of lump.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Rutland fire starters cut into quarters placed at 12-3-6-9. About $0.11 per light.

How do you get the egg going starting a cube every three hours?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    Options
    i use a $10 electric chimney starter from walmart, but all of this weed torch talk is getting the inner 10 year old fire bug in me worked up.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    henapple said:
    Rutland fire starters cut into quarters placed at 12-3-6-9. About $0.11 per light.
    How do you get the egg going starting a cube every three hours?

Gives me more time for day drankin!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    The problem with this forum is that it makes me spend money.  I just ordered the Porter Cable Heat Gun from amazon.com.  Hope it helps in getting that fire started quickly for some great grilling
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    vchelf said:

The problem with this forum is that it makes me spend money.  I just ordered the Porter Cable Heat Gun from amazon.com.  Hope it helps in getting that fire started quickly for some great grilling

Yep, only drawback I've found to the forum. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yep, only drawback I've found to the forum. :))
    Well, that and OT posts  :-\"
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I started with Weber starter cubes . I ran out one day and remembered some one on the forum saying something about a paper balled up and soaked in cooking oil. It works plenty fast for me. I'm in a big hurry all day. When I cook I consider it me time.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Torches and heat guns require a bit more standing around than I am interested in,

I tried the paper towel and a sprinkle of oil (not saturated) for the first time last night, and that is faster than the starter cubes by far. 

I lit it and walked away, and was prepping the food.

Tried a MAPP torch I had at camp once, and although it worked, it was a bit of a boring dance: hold in one spot thirty seconds.  Hold in another spot thirty seconds. Hold in a third spot thirty seconds.  Doesn't sound like much, but I prefer to be doing something.

Perhaps I'll try a weed burning torch on propane.  But the paper towel and oil is very speedy.  My old knees don't like standing around.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Personally, it has never taken me an hour for the egg to reach temperature and burn cleanly, especially with reused lump, but even with a load of brand new of lump.

It may not take that long for VOCs, depending on type of lump used.  

Place your hand on the egg at 30, 45, and 60 min after reaching desired range.    

If cooking over live fire in 30 min is your goal, a kettle would have been a better investment brother.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I regularly cook on my BGE in under thirty minutes, and always under an hour, with no VOC issues (especially when using older lump, since there are no VOCs from used lump).

And sinc grilling is a direct cook, the physical temperature of the ceramic dome is irrelevant.  In fact, cooking dry aged steaks, you can sometimes benefit from keeping the dome open, and no radiant cooking will occur, just seraing from below.

I am amazed that you are telling me I am wrong, when I have cooked on this thing for ten years or more without waiting an hour to cook.

No need to buy a kettle in order to cook quickly, because I already do.

A new load of lump may require a full half hour, but rarely.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Not saying you are wrong.  Is that all you have cooked for ten years, dry aged steaks and bacon?  There was a guy on the other forum, that did a lot of that. lol

I agree, and that was my point.  With such a quick cook like a dry aged strip steak, cooking over a hole in the ground and a $1K ceramic grill would yield the same result.  Same goes for stir frying.  All the egg is doing is providing energy.

The ceramic grill dome is not irrelevent, and it is not only the dome.  If I chose to direct grill(which isn't much), a slightly lower temp with a raised direct setup, allows radiation, and even convection, to assist.  It also extends cooking times when adding smoke.

You could have saved $600 or so dollars a decade ago by choosing a kettle instead....just sayin, my friend.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2014
    Options
    We use heat guns at work for a lot of things. Best made is the Master

( )

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Good. Another egg lighting thread.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I have cooked many things over the years.  My egg does not require an hour to get to temperature for anything.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

I have cooked many things over the years.  My egg does not require an hour to get to temperature for anything.

I agree. I have never waited more than half an hour with high or low temperature cooking on my egg and have had no VOC issues. I use alcohol to start my fire and it works very well.  I also don't spend a half an hour carefully stacking my charcoal like some have reported. I stir the ashes a few times.  Every few cooks I clean out the old ashes and then dump in new charcoal and light it.  I used to much more OCD about setting up the fire but learned that I don't need to do that much work.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    I have the mapp torch from lowes with the long hose and holster. More than one use gaget. Plus it saved my christmas cook melting the 3 inch thick ice tomb that encased my egg.
    Brampton, Ontario

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    All the torches, flame throwers, heat guns, soaking of paper towels - all just seems like hassle to me.

Dump the lump, toss a cube in the middle, and in 15 minutes I'm ready to cook.

But hey, that's just me..
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    the weed torch sounds fun but I like just lighting a fire starter and walking away usually. I would however like to get a weed torch for weeds! Around edging and such. Is this a good deal?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

Good. Another egg lighting thread.

These and best lump threads come about every 2 weeks. No use of search function LOL