Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Lump!

Options

I am a newbie here just over a year in the Egging World however I have put 700/800 pounds of lump through my XL and just bought my first 20 pound bag of frontier at Sam's for 9.99 and it is the smokiest lump I have used so far, I have mostly used Royal Oak from Menards at 5.88 for 8 pounds and thought I would give this a try because I shop at Sam's all the time, the bag had several BIG pieces on the top of the bag including several pieces that were 8/10 inches with the bark still on them. I have cooked three meals with the Frontier and have not added any wood for smoking yet it is the smokiest cooks I have done even with out any smoke wood added. My question is this typical or did I get a extra smoky bag, I made a spatchedcocked chicken last night for lettuce wraps and I normally add 2/3 chunks of cherry for smoke but decided not to because it was already producing a lot of smoke flavor and even with out and wood for smoking it was the smokiest chicken I have made to date, not complaining but there are several cooks I do that this is to much smoke for.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and input,

Chuck King

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Dimondale Michigan

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I am not a fan of Frontier. Royal Oak or Ozark. I don't know what kind of smoke your getting, but doubt its the kind you want.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hmmm... This is interesting.  I found Frontier NOT as smokey as RO.  I liked Frontier probably better... This whole spill is subjective....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The collier who was making that batch may have not reduced the wood enough - in other words, there's wood in that thar charcoal.
    Options
    I'm doing a 6 pound boneless leg of Lamb for Easter and I want the Lamb to shine through not the smoke flavor and will probably just get some more RO for this cook.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Raymont said:

I am not a fan of Frontier. Royal Oak or Ozark. I don't know what kind of smoke your getting, but doubt its the kind you want.

Ozark. ...blasphemy. Good day sir, I said good day.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I found it to be far more sparky than anything I've used before. As far as smokey I didn't really think much about it. The creosote burn off was average and took 20-30 to clear. But, the sparking continued the entire time. I used some on Spatchcock, brisket and pizza. Flavor was fine and at $9.99 for #20 it worked fine. I still prefer WGWW but, that's comparing an apple to an orange. Overall it's not bad. I would use it before a few other brands I've tried.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL