Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince me to buy another Egg

So I have a large and am looking at buying an xl from the Toronto Eggfest .
Do I need it ? probably not but I think it would be a great addition.
We are only 2 people in our house but we do entertain a lot and I am always wanting more room ......

I am a about to buy it and although I am not getting cold feet I would love some advice/support/ encouragement.

Great and Thanks
Toronto

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    We're here for you buddy, just do it!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Do you have an adjustable rig or similar set up for the large?  If space is your issue the AR really helped me.  If multiple cooking temps are what is needed - do you need the capacity of an XL to achieve that.

We are three in our house and my next egg will be a smaller (small or mini max).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Two larges and a small/mini always gets back to me as optimal.

But the XL at a demo price is probably a steal of a deal...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Yeah I have an AR . but still struggle for space.
    I like the idea of multiple cooking temps and also the grid size of the xl .
    I can rig it up with a charcoal compartment so i wont waste that much coal .
    Toronto
  • No way you need 2, especially a L and XL. On the other hand, buy it and give it to me. I promise to send you regular updates of what I'm doing with it and would be happy to arrange for regular visitations!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Why not just get 10 minis?
    NOLA
  • pantsypants
    do I get another Large instead ?

I like the idea of being able to cook 2 briskets at once  ( on one grill )
    or 14 chickens
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Also Jon  we can just leave it at my place and you can come and cook for me anytime !!

I will even clean up .
    Toronto
  • The advantage, so I've read, to having two of the same size is interchangable accessories.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    If you have the SWMBO green-light then go for it.  Since you have a large you asked about another LBGE.  The benefits of that move are that all your eggcessories are interchangeable.  If I had the green-light given the initial scenario you described I would go with a second LBGE.  Either way you come out waaay ahead.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'm very new to the egg world and very glad I decided on the XL. I read and went and stared at them many times. I just can't see trying to stack things just to cook so I enjoy the extra room.
  • pantsypants
    Yes ,
    If i could fit 2 briskets on a large then it would be no issue
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    So the thoughts here are to get another large ?
    Toronto
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    GET ANOTHER LARGE EGG!!!!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• That's what I'd do.
    because I am getting it from the Eggfest it will come with a plate setter and all that which I already have ,

No one hear thinks i should get the  xl ?
    Toronto
  • DMW
    because I am getting it from the Eggfest it will come with a plate setter and all that which I already have ,

No one hear thinks i should get the  xl ?
    I do. Unless you want interchangeable accessories.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sounds like you occasionally need the real estate of the XL. Two larges may provide the needed space if you light both of them and that means the interchangeable add on's may not be of value as you would need two sets of the same set-up, unless as you not you are cooking two different things. The XL would give you a large grill when only one was needed. If space and money is not an issue, the XL might be the best choice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Get an XL.  That will keep me from buying it at the TO Eggfest. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pantsypants
    Ideally interchangeable accessories would be great , But I also think that i really wouldn't need to many other accessories for the xl .
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    @gmac

Dont worry I called over to Dickson and they have 2 XL's left

Toronto
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm usually in the "get another LBGE" camp, so you can use the same eggcessories on both, but I'm sometimes swayed by the idea of an XL to complement the large. I like how you can cook indirect on the XL by banking the coals to one side, as opposed to using a heat deflector in the other eggs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2014
    Buy it brother and you won't be sorry. If I didn't have the other large cookers that I own I would have bought the biggest they made. When it comes to cooking it's always better to have more room and not need it than to have less room and need more. This is not sentiment it's absolute fact. Opinions vary but in this matter Im right without question. Again I say buy it. You always have the option to sell it if you don't like or need it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    @gmac

Dont worry I called over to Dickson and they have 2 XL's left

Great.  Let me check with my wife and see if she's OK with me getting one.  There, I checked.  The answer is still No.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    DO IT,

I would probably get two larges or a large/medium.
  • DMW
    Ideally interchangeable accessories would be great , But I also think that i really wouldn't need to many other accessories for the xl .
    I agree, for the XL a plate setter and homemade raised grid will probably be all you ever need, since you have the AR for the Large.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have two XLs and normally only cook for two.  I do have people over for dinner a lot since they figured out how good everything tastes so I use both at least twice per week and one every night.  I have never regretted having two eggs.  I do a lot of dual temp meals and also low and slows so I use one for the over nights and the other for dinner.  Pull the trigger and don't look back.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Get the XL. If you can afford a second egg anyway might as well go BIG or go home, lol. I have the XL and plan on purchasing a medium during Dizzy Fest. The XL comes in handy for office functions when you can smoke 50 lbs of meat at once. That's just me though. lol I am sure you will be pleased no matter what size you get.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • gmac
    In all seriousness, I'd like to buy an XL, sell my Large to a friend and get a small or wait for the Mini-Max or Mega Mini or whatever it's called.  I've got 4 boys and the oldest is 14 and so I can see a lot of years of big meat eaters in my future.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited April 2014
    I'm interested in knowing what you want to cook simultaneously.  I'm asking that because I see quite a few items that folks cook on the BGE that, at present, I have no desire to cook like vegetables and side dishes.  I've only owned my XL BGE since November but so far I'm mainly interested in cooking main courses.  I can envision where I want an extra grill to do two main courses; one that requires low or indirect and the other that requires high/direct.  Otherwise, I have plenty of space and even added a second level recently so I think I can do two main courses as long as they are the same cook setup and temps.

I also just did a main course followed by a dutch oven dessert.  I guess I could have used two grills for that but I just did it one after the other.

I do like the space of the XL.  I bought it because I didn't want to invest so much and find out that I was constrained.   
    XL Owner