Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling 12# of Tri Tip and could use some advice...

So I've been lurking here on the forum for a while and recently joined.  I've had my XL BGE for a few years now and have had great success smoking/grilling on her.

So years ago when I was stationed in California we used to eat Tri Tip.  After a brisket and some hams I'm wanting to eat some 'Tip!  I have 15#'s reserved to be picked-up on Friday for a family get together on Saturday.  Doing four Tri Tips @ around 3#'s each.  Not really wanting to do a reverse sear.

I'm really weird about cooking on the Egg for something like this...  I like to put the schedule together, working backwards from the time we want to eat and I'm not sure how long I need to cook the four tri tips and at what temp.  I normally build-in a decent rest in a cooler.

I have a BBQ Guru and normally don't have a problem with hitting/maintaining temps (the Picnic Ham I did a couple weekends ago smoked for 30 hours without opening the lid and it was OMAZING!).

Any suggestions on target temp and cook time?  I'm assuming I will want to use the Plate Setter but not sure?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @5001craig‌
    First congratulations on the new egg as it is money well spent.
    Second we'll come aboard and glad to have you.
    Third I don't get off until 3:00am and if no one has answered your question I will post several methods you can try.
    Fourth At what temp did you smoke your picnic? I'm presuming very low by the time frame you quoted. I'm curious because I'm one of the minority that when time permits still prefers cooking at low temps. Sub 200 at times.
    Fifth When cooking primals and subprimals what is the lowest temp you have tried yourself?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can cook tri-tip just like a steak.  Cook it direct at steak temperatures until it's done the way you like it.
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    I have been eating tritips for 40 years, this is the best recipe I have ever found, being a native Californian, others agree, not saying it is The Way, just "A way" , an hour after you light the grill, you are ready to eat.  Good Luck.  

Although there are 3lb tips out there, I have found them difficult to cook evenly.  Therefore, I favor the 2lb Tips. In my opinion, TT is meant to be served rare, and when we cook for only ourselves I do it rare.  FYI  In California, we always ate it on a real soft roll, with spicy mustard or horseradish.  

Basting Sauce, recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil 
    I use one of those cheap Ketchup/mustard containers to spray on TT

Three hours prior to cook, I Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least one hour  at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 minutes, fifteen seconds, no more no less.   Remove seared tri-tip from the grill, cover it with foil (BASTE) and let it rest for 20 minutes.  Bring grill down to 350 to 400 degrees.  Put tri-tip back on the grill and cook to an internal temperature of 129 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5  minutes. (at 350, a 2lb tip will take approximately 10-12 minutes to finish) Remove tri-tip from the grill (Baste) cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into 1/4” slices against the grain. (Baste again) and enjoy.

2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Like NOLA said, cook like a steak. I do them @ 350 raised direct. Generally takes less than 45 minutes, sometimes only 30 minutes to 125 or so. I do like to pull mine @ 115 and reverse sear. Being a California guy, born and raised we eat tri-tips about once a week. Check out the web site below on how to carve it correctly.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thanks so much for all the replies.  I was trying to make it too complicated.  I was thinking 20 years ago we used to smoke them.  

I don't know why but I was not understanding reverse searing.  I'm an idiot...

Craig
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Hey, and rare - medium rare is totally fine (preferable) for a tri-tip.  Don't buy into the notion that it needs to be cooked like a clod.
    *&%$#@! image not posting
  • So I picked them up today at the butcher shop and originally asked for four @ three pounds average (looking for 12 pound of meat).  The bag said a little over nine pounds so I had them put one more three pounder in the bag for a total of five that I will be cooking on my XL BGE.

Thanks again for the tips (no pun intended).  Lol

Craig