Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Was Almost Retired

Options
I haven't used my wok in so long it was rusted. So, I broke out the bamboo brush and cleaned it. It cleaned up nice and I used it to do some chicken stir fry. I roasted some garlic in the oil then added chicken, onion, sweet peppers and snow peas. I forgot how good those ingredients are cooked so quickly at high heat!imageimageimageimage
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Man that looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice post. Mine did the same thing (my large) and I just tossed it only to be told by VI what an idiot I was. Did not know you could clean it up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Hey Randy, where did you get that wire wok holder? I need one. Thanks
    Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Thanks @Jebpot and @Mickey‌. @Eggheadjoey‌ it is called a spider. You can purchase them at the ceramicgrillstore.com.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Makes me want to break out the wok tonight.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Randy1
    Options
    Thanks @Griffin. I like the stamps of approval!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Thanks, Randy. I just got my Egg recently, and I've cooked on my wok for years. Never could get temps high enough on a cooktop, so I'm eggcited to see what can be done on an Egg.
    Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Great wok Ho!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very nice cook.  I broke out my wok last weekend for kung pao shrimp but started the egg  too early and took me way too long to prep the ingredients.  When it was finally time to wok, my egg was cooling off . . . really missed that high heat sizzle!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That looks good.  I got a WOK last Christmas.  I tired to season it and use it once by a major fail and never touched it again.  Its in my attic rusted. I dont know if it can be salvaged at this point since it never was season right.  I followed the steps but it never turned black..

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    That looks good.  I got a WOK last Christmas.  I tired to season it and use it once by a major fail and never touched it again.  Its in my attic rusted. I dont know if it can be salvaged at this point since it never was season right.  I followed the steps but it never turned black..
    It can be saved. If you don't want to clean it up, you can send it to me. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done sir. Your table looks great too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I bought one for a pizza experiment (which failed) and I left it outside in the rain. Turned a lovely shade of rust. :) I decided to clean it up rather than toss it. I used an angle grinder with a wire brush though if I had to do it again, I might try the sandblast cabinet. Anyway, the rust is gone and it has a coat of oil to protect it. Still hasn't been seasoned though. 

Here is how I season mine. First, wash it thoroughly with soap and hot water. Dry. Do not oil yet.

Light the lump and let it get good and hot (all coals burning, dome open, bottom vent open. HOT!).

Place the wok directly on the coals (no oil) and let it get HOT.

Remove from egg and, using a rag, rub a thin coat of peanut oil all over, inside and out. Welder's gloves required as well as a pretty thick rag (I used an old T-shirt as it helps keep the heat at bay).

Place wok back in the egg, right side up, again directly on the coals. It will start to turn black almost immediately. Using the gloves and/or tongs, gradually rock the wok so that all areas eventually come in contact with the lump and turn black.

Remove and set aside to cool. You might want to rub the outside of the wok with more oil.

Here is the last one I did, a very thin cast iron. I seasoned it only once and it seems to have worked well.

New, unseasoned...

After one seasoning, first cook...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Randy, that is a FINE looking plate. Makes me want to crank mine up again. Been a while. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Food looks great!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I see a WOK in my future.

@Mickey How about on the Mini? Anyone use the Mini and a WOK?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Randy1
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks @NGD @robnybbq @Caliking  @bbqlearner

@CarolinaQ Thank you, sir. I forgot about those baby corn. Those will be in my next stirfry!

@Hotch buying a wok is relatively painless, they are cheap!

Maumelle, Arkansas