Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 6 lb. bone-in leg of lamb for Easter. Any advice?

Options
I will be cooking a 6 lb. bone-in leg of lamb (along with other things) for Easter.  Any advice?  I plan to use a small amount grape vines for smoke. 
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Sure, don't burn it.

LOL.

I haven't made lamb roast, but please post pictures.
  • Rambo
    Rambo Posts: 43
    Options
    I've done this a couple times and it's turned out amazing. My family typically likes less smoke on their leg of lamb and fresh herbs and spices. I typically cook it indirect at 275 degrees and pull it fairly rare and let it rest in tin foil for an hour before serving. Please post pics.
    I Love Animals. They Taste Great. 

Large Green Egg - Traeger Texas Pro - Weber kettle Grill for life.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Make a paste of fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil and grease it up.  If you're feeling ambitious, make little slits all over the roast and push in slivers of garlic and rosemary.  Roast indirect at about 350 until 135-140 internal temp.  Rest under foil for at least 15 minutes.  It's a favorite in our house
    Mamaroneck
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do what Mama_Roneck does except cook raised direct.  I love the char of lamb.  But my latest lamb favorite is to make kabobs.  Cook those HOT until 125F-ish.  Marinate them before hand. 
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions.   I usually do what Mama_Roneck does when I cook it in the oven, so I will probably do the same outside. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Do not plan a lengthy rest. 15 minutes tops. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited April 2014
    Options
    IMO, even though I am not Greek, Greeks are the masters of roast lamb. Check out a site called kalofagas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I agree with indirect at low temp. Way more tender and a lot less chance of shooting above your desired temp which should be rare to medium rare.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Steven, your family all like lamb leg medium rare (I thought I heard you say at one time).  If you're cooking for a group with mixed preferences, cooking hot direct gives you some medium+ for people that like it that way.  There's no right or wrong way, depends on what pleases the most people.
    Options
    I'm doing mad max turkey, egret ham, boneless leg of lamb this weekend, one a day.

Planning to SV the lamb 133F/24h, then sear. All help and advice welcome please!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'm doing mad max turkey, egret ham, boneless leg of lamb this weekend, one a day.

Planning to SV the lamb 133F/24h, then sear. All help and advice welcome please!
    I've done that exactly, except not that long.  Probably will be more tender the longer you go, but I've not done lamb in the 130s over 4 hours.  You can spice the bag, my only recommendation there is to use powdered or roasted garlic over fresh, and this is based on me never trying fresh because of several posts I read from others that said the fresh garlic tastes "weird" at lower temp SV.  Also, don't add any oil to it, there's plenty of fat in the lamb already and fat extracts out many aromatics you may add that you want to flavor the meat.
    Options
    Steven, your family all like lamb leg medium rare (I thought I heard you say at one time).  If you're cooking for a group with mixed preferences, cooking hot direct gives you some medium+ for people that like it that way.  There's no right or wrong way, depends on what pleases the most people.
    My family hates lamb. If you had a mixed group you could low and slow, stand on end and sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    Thanks nola, yes I also read not to use fresh garlic. Think I'm going to go 8 hrs max.  SV temp/time is like the wild west, I mentioned this in another thread ... Douglas Baldwin says 130F/24h, SousVideSupreme recipe has 131F/48h.

canuckland
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I did a low and Slow 7 lb lamb leg last week . I rubbed it in butter and fresh herbs and cooked it at 225 for 3 hours ( roughly i think )
    When it was at 125 ( internal temp ) I brought the egg up to 450 which gave the leg an amazing color .
    I would highly recommend this method .
    this was @Littlesteven's recomendation 
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    also this one ..
    Toronto
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2014
    Options
    All the recommendations are EGGcellent.  I like to add some zaatar, Mid Eastern spice,  Also if you have some rosemary twigs around they make great smoke flavor. Happy Easter
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    IMO, even though I am not Greek, Greeks are the masters of roast lamb. Check out a site called kalofagas.

Thanks for this. I went to the site and was blown away. I have always thought the Greek way of doing lamb is great. Well today I am going to look for a C I pot for my egg. I marked the " Slow-Roasted Leg of Lamb " as my first do..Thanks again..

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I cooked the shoulder at 350 degrees to a temperature of 140 degrees. That was about  2 hours in total.  Turned out terrific.