Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

April Snow and Iced Vent with Pics

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
8lb. Pork Butt giving me troubles. Actually it's the weather. Current temp is 23 degrees and snowing with 20 mph winds. Cook started out with lighting the egg at 2130 and bringing it up to 500 degrees briefly to melt the snow off the egg. With the cold weather, it's a lot easier to briefly overshoot the temp to get things going good. Doesn't really take long to cool things off when it's cold and windy. Pork butt was put on the egg on schedule at 2300 with temp holding at 250 degrees. So far so good. Returned 1 hour later to find temp down to 220 degrees. The egg had some ice in the vent screen so I cleared the ice and opened the vents up a little. Thought about leaving the screen open to avoid ice build up, but need it to damper the wind from blowing in and causing a turbo effect. Returned 45 minutes later with temp at 230. Cleared the ice again and opened the vent a little more. Appears to be holding a steady 250 degrees at this time(0230). On Friday it was 70 degrees and everyone was wearing shorts. Spring is so unpredictable. I agreed to bring in pulled pork to work on Sunday night for a carry-in and don't want to disappoint. I'm so hoping I can pull this off. I've only done small stuff less than 4lbs and this is my first pork butt. What a night to do my first one. Anyway, here's a few pictures. Notice the blurred snow blowing sideways. I didn't think to take a picture with the ice caked on the vent until after I cleared it. If it builds up again, I'll post a pic with the ice on it. imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• stemc33
    Still snowing. Dome temp at 260 degrees. Vent is starting to ice over again. I was hoping to go to sleep by 0530 and wake up at about noon to check it. Looks like I might be babysitting the vent all day to keep it clear from ice. The wind is starting to die down a little. If the wind stops blowing snow sideways, the vent will stay clear. imageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    I know everybody's sleeping peacefully with all their high tech equipment and eggs on auto-pilot, but I'm still on vent duty. It's 0430 and temp is at 250 degrees and starting to ice over again. Plan now is to sleep and wake up hourly to clear the vent. I won't post anymore pics of an iced vent, pretty sure everybody gets it already. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    May be to late but maybe turn the whole egg counter clockwise. From the one pic it looks like its takin the snow head on.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    thats what was going to say just turn the egg away from the wind.
  • stemc33
    Turning the egg is pretty much impossible. It's setting in gravel and I'm by myself. Its's a good idea though. It's 0800 and the weather is dying down. The egg temp is down to 230 degrees so opened the vents a little more. No ice on the vents at this check. Back to sleep for me.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

@stemc33

That's crazy.  Thanks for sharing.
    NOLA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    My dad sent this one from Casper. image

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    OK, I won't be moving to Wyoming. Here's PA today. ;) I just might dig out my sleeping back and sleep outside tonight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    Update. Since 0900 the egg has held a steady 250 degrees and vent has been clear. Just probed the butt(ha ha) and the temp is 180-184 in most places and getting soft. One spot is hanging out at 150 degrees, is that normal? Back to sleep, gotta work tonight.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    One last update. Pork turned out terrific. Don't think I could of used any other cooker in those weather conditions. Total cook time was about 14 hours. I still got a lot to learn about the BGE and appreciate all the help here on the forum.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Glad to hear it turned out good! For a frozen vent door I've used a cigar torch :) unsticks it quick...

Love cooking in a good snow storm...
  • stemc33
    Wish I would of known that last night. Not that it would of done me any good since I don't have cigar torch. The ice mostly came off in a chunk and only left a little bit. I thought about stringing out an extension cord and using a blow dryer.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    stemc33 said:

Wish I would of known that last night. Not that it would of done me any good since I don't have cigar torch. The ice mostly came off in a chunk and only left a little bit. I thought about stringing out an extension cord and using a blow dryer.

LOL... Take up cigar smoking. If not, a butane torch lighter is a great little thing to have around just in case.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Wouldn't use the blow dryer.... That'll kick your temps up like using a bellows on the fireplace. Next time you're in a big box Wallyworld or such, get a propane or MAPP torch kit for 15-20 bucks. Should do great!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Damn nice looking pork..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN