Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perpetual Pork Shoulder?

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:[p]Okay, it's now time to ask for help. I'm cooking a 5-pound pork shoulder, and have been doing so for a long time. The fact that my large Egg has been chugging along quietly at 220 for 21 hours gives me great joy. But the problem is that the roast should have been done--with an internal temperature of 200--eleven hours ago. It may be a lost cause, but it's still tender. I've increased the Egg temp to 300, following the advice of the Naked Whiz. Any advice?[p]Thank you,[p]Jim

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Jim,
    Stick a fork in it. and twist. If it twists really easiily. It's done. If not - keep cooking. The laws of physics sometimes don't work on meat around here.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jim,
    at this point, you need to check other things than temp.
    open the dome and jiggle the temp probe. is it really loose? does the meat feel done? if you try to lift it off the grate does it start to fall apart?[p]5 pounds shouldn't take that long unless it was frozen when you put it on.[p]something's wacky, and so you gotta check things rather than just trusting the therm. could have a bum probe....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Jim,
    Do what these guys said and check things out. I had a butt that went longer than that though so it is done when it is done.[p]
    Dennis