Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Cutting Boards

Options
Know we had some discussions on these in the past but here is what I picked up today for the kitchen. All hand made and the colots are deep and rich. Good discussion with the artist and learned a lot about how and why he does these. Very interesting fellow.
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Comments

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Do tell the why. Not sure I would want to cut on such a good looking piece,
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Dang, that's a purty edge grain.  What species didn't he use?

Who made it, and why???

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    An artisan I found in the North Georgia mountains   Does them to help a Marine vet support himself.    The woods he named are some I know (walnut, teak, maple) and some I don't know (tiger, red, black, etc.)   I first saw this guy a couple of years ago and liked his work but did not buy one at the time and regretted it since.     Finally ran him down this weekend and bought the best looking one he had.  He encourages the use it as  a working board (his theory is use one side for work and one side for display)    Plan to do that.   If it gets some scratches can always have it sanded downed and resealed.     the thing is over an inch thick so should last me a lifetime!   

Also discussed a large purchase from him if I can drum up some interest and also plan to use some for Christmas gifts.    His products are really neat and he doesn't own a computer so no internet sales.   
  • Focker
    edited April 2014
    Options

A special story behind the wood, really cool.

I stumbled upon a chainsaw artisan, Thor, in Hiawassee during a brief cross country sabbatical in 2012.  A transplant from WA.  The nicest dude, insisted on giving me firewood and kindling for camp.

Your board is a beautiful heirloom.        

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @bo31210 said:
    Know we had some discussions on these in the past but here is what I picked up today for the kitchen. All hand made and the colots are deep and rich. Good discussion with the artist and learned a lot about how and why he does these. Very interesting fellow.
    That things too purty to cut on. I'd hang it on the wall and just enjoy looking at it as a piece of art. You should be proud of it regardless of what it cost.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    bo31210:

Can you tell us how to contact the gentleman so that we can visit his location and purchase some of these beauties?

I'm interested in four of them.

Thanks in advance.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• lpresnell
    Options
    I'm also interested in getting one, or 2.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Focker said:

Dang, that's a purty edge grain.  What species didn't he use?

Who made it, and why???

I'm curious as to how you can tell that is an edge grain.  I know I have an edge grain, but it isn't that decorated, but I can clearly see the direction of the grains on the side to know it is an edge-grain.  I can't tell from the picture which direction the wood grains are going and the OP didn't claim it was an edge grain.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My favorite cutting board is a piece of 1X12 red oak that I used a router to cut channels in over 20 years ago.  It has been through the dishwasher thousands of times and is still going strong.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If I ever get my table saw refurbishing project and a couple other nagging things done, I've got an idea for an artsy type cutting board. I hope the rain holds off today because I'm looking to media blast the cast iron pieces of that table saw.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I have looked at and done a little reading on edge versus end grain   this is an edge grain    the next question is what would one pay for something like this?   it is 16 x 13 and an inch thick    Thanks
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    edited April 2014
    Options
    What's it made out of? 

I only paid $140 for my Cherry end-grain Boo's 20x15x2.5".. 

I'd guess maybe $50 to $60, depending on what wood is used.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Options

It would depend on the amount of exotics, and labor involved.  Edge grain boards are less labor intensive than end grain.

I know for my cocobolo Meucci, and any billiards cue inlaid with exotics, prices reflect that and are not cheap.  Even the mass production exotic cues.

Same goes for custom 1911 wood grips.  Anything exotic, things can get pricey.

Maple and cherry are the most common woods used for cutting boards, other than bamboo.  A mass produced common hardwood end grain would not be an accurate comparison to an exotic custom made edge grain.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    beautiful board man.

A buddy of mine had a cutting board biz, he sold at BBQ competitions for years.  Made all the trophies too.

Options
    I scored this from a friend. It was scarred up and had burn marks on it before I sanded and re oiled it.

Duncan, SC
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I'm still steaming from the cutting board debacle I went through...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    @Mross‌ well done! Looks awesome. :)