Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt question

Options
Drigler
Drigler Posts: 25
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have always just done 1 - 8lb pork butt at a time, but I need to do 4 or 5 for a lunch I am doing for some teams at work. Each cook has been about 14 hours at 250. Do I need to allot more time or more fuel for 4-5 butts instead of 1? Any words of wisdom for multiple butts?
XL - Chandler, AZ

Comments

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    did 6 butts last weekend and they took almost 21 hours but it was a fluke. As long as they are not touching or overcrowding the space 14 should be fine. Can always wrap and rush it if necessary. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    That is a good question. I suspect the answer is yes to both. How much time and lump to add is unknown to me. Hope someone who has do both chimes in.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Kick the temp up to 275-300.  There is no reason to cook pork butts at 250.  (Unless you want to drink more beer during the extra long cook!).

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Plan your cook time based on the largest but.  Like said before, if there is air flow between them, they will each cook at their normal time.  They may touch at first, but as they shrink a space will form between them.  There may be a little time added because of temperature loss from putting so much cold meat on at one time or lack of air space, but it usually catches up pretty good.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Even if they are touching they will cook in about the same time.

The only impact on cooking time seems to be the lag from introducing such a large mass of cold meat to the egg.  The recorvery time to target dome temperature can take an hour or more with a large number of butts.

Touching isn't a consideration.  They shrink anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I would add 2-4 hours just in case...the butts wrapped in foil, towel then cooler for a good 3-4 hours even longer.  It helps if you give yourself some extra time.  Fill your egg up the time should about the same as if you were cooking just two.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I did 6 last weekend. They totaled 46 lbs. The temp dropped way down when I added them to the Egg, but with a little adjustment the dome and pit temp leveled out to 250. The 1st two were done in 11-1/2 hours and the other 4 were done in 12-1/2 hours. image
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Just a thought, please don't shoot the messenger:

But FTC for butts doesn't improve their flavor or texture. It's fine to do if they end up done sooner.  But they are best (most moist) immediately off the smoker.

If anyone doubts this, simply look at the amount of humidity and condensation there is in the cooler and towels after an hour or so.

The concept of resting a roast or a steak is entirely unrelated to keeping a pork butt warm for a few hours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY