Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickens - leaping frog and spatchcock

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,452
edited April 2014 in Poultry
Decided to mix it up, one of each, brined for three hour in diluted brine 3/4 gal water, 1/2C salt, 1/4C sugar

chicken seasoned with Mickey's rub, pan of vege lightly seasoned with EVOO S&P dried herb, pre zapped for few minutes in microwave to synchronise finish time with chicken. skin came out chewy but meat was very juicy and flavourful, should have cooked at 400-425 instead of 375?

vege nicely carmelised and slightly charred at the bottom, I used copper tees to create space between pan and Conveggtor:

plated with pineapple salsa (pineapple, cilantro, onion, red pepper, chilli, lemon juice, sugar, salt):

canuckland

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks absolutely incredible my friend. Outstanding to say the least!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Canugghead‌
    Just curious my friend but did you get the leap frog idea from bubba Tim?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks great!  Could you tell a difference between the spatch and the leaping frog?  Was one easier to prep?

One quick tip for crispier skin- I see you have an extender so if you have room try cooking them raised even higher.  Higher the better IMO- more convection effect and radiant heat from the dome. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    edited April 2014
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    In my experience the leap frog is a tad harder to prep. As far as taste there is no difference at all. I prefer the look of the leap frog but this is a matter of choice. Both are great ways of preparing poultry.

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    edited April 2014
    @SGH I learned it from youtube!

@SmokeyPitt both easy to prepare but cutting through backbone to spatchcock requires a good pair of scissors/shears and could be challenging for arthritic hands!  I thought of cooking them on the elevated grid but somehow forgot!
    canuckland
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Wow, what an amazing result.  I believe that I will steal your idea for today's chicken.  I'm not planning to brine, but everything else looks amazing.

I agree with raising the chicken to improve the skin, but maybe also bring up the temp to 425 for the last 10-15 minutes?  I do that with chicken in the oven.

• Canugghead
    Thanks.  Next time I plan to cook raised at at least 400 all the way.  Remember to take pictures of your cook!
    canuckland
  • markem
    Okay, I stole @Canugghead's idea and ran with it.  I cooked the chicken at 400 dome and it turned out perfect, with crispy skin and juicy meat.

The veggies on the other hand ... I knew that this would be an experiment, so wasn't too worried about making hockey pucks.  Turns out that I will be providing the NHL for at least several games this next season...

I put a tin foil drip pan filled with potatoes, carrots, and broccoli tossed in EVOO with a little extra for good measure.  I (foolishly) put the veggies on 30 minutes before the chicken and didn't put in a spacer.  Next time, I think maybe a spacer of about 1" above the plate and put the veggies in about 10 minutes early.  Not being able to effectively turn the veggies made it all guesswork on my part.  Still, half the veggies turned out great and the carrots seemed to like being 'blackened' a bit.

• Canugghead
    Looks delicious  :))
    I used spacers and nuked the vege before putting them in the egg with the chickens at the same time.
    canuckland
  • markem
    Well, the chicken turned out great.

• Canugghead
    Nice, I can almost feel the crunch on the skin.  btw, I was kidding, along the line of 'no picture, didn't happen' :)
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm...I've never heard of the leaping frog. I like it. Gives a little change to the ho hum Spatchcock.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks good!

Pineapple salsa... Recipe please?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2014
    @NPHuskerFL - leaping frog is a lot easier on the fingers since there's no need to cut any bones, just cut along the breast's V and flip out the V.  You may have to shorten the neck if it sticks out too much though!

@Caliking - Thanks. Sorry no recipe, SWMBO basically threw everything in in a hurry by taste/sight ... fresh pineapple chunks, cilantro, minced onion, finely diced red pepper, minced red chilli, lemon juice, sugar, salt.
    canuckland