Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin / Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust rub

I followed Meathead Goldwyn's recipe for Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust rub and his directions for making Beef Tenderloin.  It was tremendous and I highly recommend it (even for those who only use salt and pepper and eschew fancy rubs).

Here's the link to Meathead's site for the rub: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/cow_crust.html  

Here's the link to the site for the tenderloin: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

Here are my photos.  First of the tenderloin tied by my butcher.  Next is the wet rub applied.  Then the final product.

XL Owner

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great!  I have used this rub on a prime rib and I agree it is excellent.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited April 2014
    Thanks @henpple and @hapster.

@SmokeyPitt it was better than I'd hoped.  My last two beef tenderloins where EVOO, kosher salt and pepper and they were awesome.  But this was a great change of pace and my wife rate this cook as her nbr 1.  She always rates them and before this one I couldn't cook anything that would beat beer brined chicken for her (she's a yard bird fanatic).  
    XL Owner
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great cook. 
    Cow crust also makes a very good board sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've got to try this - looks great.
    @skiddymarker - I'd never heard of board sauce so I searched and saw your comments from 2012 in this thread: 

That's a good idea.  Thanks for the tip.  It would make a good board sauce.
    XL Owner
  • SmokeyPitt
    ElCapitan said:
    @skiddymarker - I'd never heard of board sauce so I searched and saw your comments from 2012 in this thread: 

That's a good idea.  Thanks for the tip.  It would make a good board sauce.
    Meathead talks about them here as well:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ElCapitan
    Thanks.  That site is packed with stuff.  I haven't even begun to unpack that stuff yet.
    XL Owner
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think Meathead is spot on for almost everything. But...he doesn't see the value that we all see in the BGE. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    DMW said:
    I think Meathead is spot on for almost everything. But...he doesn't see the value that we all see in the BGE. :)
    Two zone, the downfall of the egg according to Meathead. Primo oval allows both direct and indirect on the same grid, even a Weber lets you push the coals to one side. The XL (no experience) is big enough you could split the fire box. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Two zone, the downfall of the egg according to Meathead. Primo oval allows both direct and indirect on the same grid, even a Weber lets you push the coals to one side. The XL (no experience) is big enough you could split the fire box. 

I would like to offer my thoughts on this. First let me say that this is just my thoughts and opinion. The ability to cook on the same grid while half is indirect and half is direct is just a over rated feature that is used as a selling point. It offers little or no value to the cook. I can easily do anything with my woo 2 and plate setter that can be done on the Primo. Im not bashing the Primo nor am I saying that the big green egg is superior. Im just stating the facts. Also I would like to point out that I have and use many different types of cookers so I am not trying to be partial. There is no one cooker that can be the best at every thing. It just aint possible. All that being said there are some advantages to the oval shape. It allows for large and odd shaped meats to be placed indirect a little easier. I have had the good fortune of getting to cook on both the primo and the big green egg and I must say  that in the end I chose the egg for reasons I will list now. Price did not play a factor at all as I don't mind paying for quality or a superior product.

Now I do want to say again that this is only my personal findings and opinions as I have no science to back it up. Primo owners will disagree with this but here goes. I find when cooking the very large subprimals that the egg produces a moister product. The reason being is air flow. On the primo when air enters it must flow vertical as well as a long horizontal distance. On the egg when it enters it flows some what of a longer vertical distance which affects nothing and a shorter horizontal distance which is a good thing. This is part of the reason that the egg is so good at holding even temps through out the cooking chamber. The average cook would probably never detect the small difference but I assure you its there when you start loading the two mentioned cookers to capacity. Again this is just my findings and what pushed me to buy the egg over the primo. I going to go ahead and go out on a limb here because I already know some one will point out comp cooks use massive horizontal smokers so there must not be any thing wrong with air flowing horizontal. That is true if you can control it with tuning plates and baffles. I own 3 myself. There are no tuning plates or baffles in the primo and this is what makes all the difference. To put this into perspective I have a large vertical smoker as well. In 5 minutes I could have any one on this forum turning out quality Q. That's not true of the horizontal cookers. It would take the average guy many months to become proficient with them. I know this is getting long winded but I hear so much about the direct and indirect benefit of the primo that I wanted to give fellow eggers a little ammo to shoot back at the primo guys. Again this was not written to bash the primo as I believe it is a fine product. I just believe for the reasons mentioned above that the egg is a little better for my style of cooking. I hope this helps clear up the advantage of the cooking direct and indirect on the same grid. As always I hope yall enjoy this read.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I would like to add that I have a lot of respect for Meathead as he is a dedicated and very accomplished cook. We all just have different opinions and approaches to some things. It doesn't make any one of us right or wrong. I have been very impressed with several of his recipes and feel he gives sound advice. The primo having any kind of an advantage over the egg just happens to be one of the areas where him and I disagree as I see it the other way around for reasons stated above. Again you can't go wrong with either unit as they both have there ups and downs. I just prefer the eggs ups as compared to the primo. Good day to all.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    One last thing while we are on the subject of direct and indirect on the same grid. Am I the only one who has accomplished this on the egg by using two grids and a half moon stone on the adjustable rig? Sure you can argue that the primo doesn't need the rig to accomplish this but most of us egg owners already have one in our vast arsenal. Just a little more food for thought my friends. I sure hope some one enjoys reading this as it was a pain in the tail for me to type it up!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited April 2014
    Fellow friends and forum members forgive me for going on a rant in the three above post. I just get tired of the hype that the primo can out do the egg some how. I do hope at least that I demystified this flawed assumption to some degree. Again sorry for rambling. Have a great day all.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    No worries at all SGH...I enjoyed all the insight! 

I can say that there have been times when I would have liked to have a split fire box, but it is not that hard to remove the plate setter.  I have also just used simple methods like a cooking rack placed over foil or a pan (or a foil pan).  

• SGH
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    Glad to hear that some one liked it as it was a lot of typing. And it was not directed at you brother I was just using your quote of Meathead. Glad you liked it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• ElCapitan
    @SGH
    rule 1, never fight a land war in Asia, 

rule 2, never match wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line and 

rule 3 - never get into an argument about the "best" BBQ or the "best" way to cook BBQ.

:D

Seriously though, I hadn't read enough about Goldwyn to know he had a BGE bias.  Thanks for the insight.  
    XL Owner
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    @SGH

I agree whoelheartedly.  Cooking on half the grill while sliding the coals to the other half means you are using half the grill.  My set up, with the platesetter, allows me 100% of the grill area with the same indirect-cook results.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• SGH
    @SenecaTheYounger‌
    Thank you Sir. I'm glad that some one agrees with me on this matter.

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    @SGH - you pretty much nailed the issue as seen by Meathead - The change from a direct IR heat to an indirect convection heat is something he can't seem to get his mind around.  He even considers the removing of a setter to be risky. Regardless, it is his blog, so his opinion rules. Like most eggheads just not an issue to me. 

There are some cooks, that require food to be directly over the heat source, while other food is being indirectly heated. For example on my gasser I often let the twice baked potatoes finish on the indirect (burner off) side while doing the meat on the direct side. I think it is this logic that Meathead likes. He feels the oval shape of the Primo accommodates this, while round Kamados, including the egg do not. Not saying he is right, just saying what I think his reasons might be.