Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here in SoFla!

Options
Just got mine last week, and have done two test cooks already. Eggcellent! The first was some Publix turkey legs and wings. They were the smallish legs, as Publix doesn't carry the big a$$ legs like you see a Disney World. Cooked at around 300º for about 2-1/2 hours. I used Cowboy brand 100% natural lump charcoal, and some pieces of black jack oak that I had lying around. The results were good, not great, due to my mistake of over smoking with the oak. I think either the wood was not a good choice, or it may be possible that some of the taste was from the starter sticks I used (Diamond Strike-A Fire). I may have not waited long enough for the starter to be fully consumed before I put the legs on. My wife complained about a taste of the smoke that was a little unappealing. I may add that she generally hates smoked meats, probably from her experience with my smoke-blackened cooks in my old side-firebox Brinkmann. Never could figure out how to get that one to hold a temp on a 20+ hour smoke without adding wood all through the night, hence creating fresh smoke over and over. Last night, I tried again, this time using only one starter stick instead of two, and I waited until the stick was fully consumed before placing the Plate-setter. I also returned the Cowboy charcoal at WalMart for some Royal Oak 100% natural lump, to see if that made a difference. After all, both the Cowboy and the Royal Oak don't say what KIND of wood they use, unlike the BGE charcoal. I picked up some apple chunks, and soaked them for two hours. I then procured two big a$$ turkey legs at Western Beef- around two pounds per leg! BTW, she had picked up a smallish roasting chicken at Publix, around 5 pounds, and I convinced her to give it a go for round two. Using a pan of water under the grate, I placed the chicken, seasoned only with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (FGBP). Maintaining 250º or so, I roasted the chicken with no apple wood to see if the flavor came out clean and uncontaminated. After around 2-1/2 hours, my instant probe digital thermometer indicated it was done. Great result! My wife loved it. A very, very subtle smoky flavor. Around two hours into the chicken cook, I added the legs. After removing the chicken, I threw in some soaked apple chunks, and lowered the temp to around 225º, cooking until the internal temp was right on. Wow. She even liked that one, and the apple imparted a really nice smoke flavor. I may win her over yet! In summation, the BGE is amazing. It eggceeded my eggspectations. The ability to maintain constant temps without fiddling with the fire is the best. The only thing I recommend adding for any newbies that don't already have one is a digital temp probe for both the oven and meat temps. I am using an iGrill connected to my iPad via Bluetooth, and I don't even have to go outside to check at all. I can't wait to do a low and slow brisket with a long, overnight cook. Please forgive me for the use of "egg" in my phraseology; I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last, but I just can't help it- I'm so eggcited!
Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the madness ,remember to post photos of you cooks 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Tearing up the leg…
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    Welcome to the cult! glad your 2nd cook was better and I always wait at least 30 minutes before I put any food on and I rarely use wood for smoke just the lump is good for me. Cowboy can be very smoky and I don't use it. If the smoke coming out of the top smells good it's good to go with the food. If it smell like your first cook tasted don't put the food on. I have also recently found some pieces of lump that have not carbonized enough and they will smoke forever and it smells nasty, they look like raw wood that has lump dust on them. I only use Royal Oak as it is easy to get and cheep. good Luck G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Gator Man, I think I discovered that the Cowboy is not the best. The Royal Oak at $8 for the 17 lb. bag is a good deal, but the only thing I'm noticing is the abundance of powder and tiny chunks.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Eggheadjoey   just a bit of information Royal Oak makes Big Green Egg Lump that being said I use Royal oak to me it's the same for at least 1/2 the price around here BGE lump cost $28.00 a bag I buy Royal Oak on sale for $8.00 for  17.6 pound bag thats almost 3 royal oak bags for 1 BGE lump 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
  • Gator_Man
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    Where in S FL are you? I spend the winters in Okeechobee FL in our Motor Home. Grew up in West Palm Beach, spent the last 25 years in Tequesta/Jupiter area sold out December of 2012 and now spend summers in NC mountains. Gator Man

• Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Hey, Gator Man. I'm in West Boynton Beach, originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Been in SoFla since '82.
    North Carolina-must be nice! I'd love to have a place there.
    Joey
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @Eggheadjoey welcome. That was a very well written first post
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Gator_Man
    Options
    Hey, Gator Man. I'm in West Boynton Beach, originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Been in SoFla since '82.
    Joey
    Thanks for getting back to me, yes NC is nice for sure. I'm sure you realize that your life will change forever now that you have an Egg. I had a very nice Weber gasser for 11 years before the egg and all I ever cooked were burgers, dogs and steak. Now we cook almost everything on the Egg from meat, veggies, bread and cakes. Jim Aka Gator Man Aka Jupiter Jim 

• Gator_Man
    Options
    Joey
    My email is jupiterjim@outlook.com send me an email. Jim

• Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Thanks, grege345!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome!  Make yourself at home.  The beer's in the fridge.
    Flint, Michigan